Casualty reports?

Discussions regarding the Animorphs books
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Blu
Rampant Drunk
Rampant Drunk

Casualty reports?

Post by Blu » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:37 am

Just been reading #30, and came across a little scene with V1 in her car and the Animoprhs telling her what to do

and at some point, V1 mentions this casualty report and says there have been no human casualties but a lot for Hork-Bajir and Taxxons, and from what ive read so far, it seems like she knows they arent andalites

so lets get this straight... no other yeerk, for this whole time, didnt get the same idea as she did over about a minute?

they must be pretty thick... lol

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: Casualty reports?

Post by capnnerefir » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:57 am

For once, I pretty much agree with you. Then again, how many Yeerks actually read those reports? It makes sense that V1 kept track of them; high casualties make V3 look bad. I could understand if V3 didn't read them; if he cared about losses, he wouldn't kill so many of his subordinates. And I guess it would make sense for the average Yeerk not to read them because, really, why would the average Yeerk care?
Still, though, the Council should have noticed that sort of thing. And maybe V2; kudos to him for knowing when to keep his head down!

Snoopy
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by Snoopy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:20 pm

Actually, other Yeerks did guess it, fairly early in the series. (See #4). The reason they never acted on it is that none of them wanted to tell V3 that he was wrong. This always struck me as just slightly cheesy, and a rather lame excuse for the Animorphs not being found out sooner. Of course, I can’t complain; if they did find the Animorphs out, the series would have been over a whole lot sooner…

If you experience any problems, please do not hesitate to PM or email me.

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:50 am

I remembered that, but I never thought it was an actual theory on the part of the Yeerks; more of a casual observation. Like, "You know, these 'Andalite bandits' could just be humans." I never thought it was something really believed. And they didn't tell V3 because it would be useless to go to him without any evidence and suggest that the bandits were actually humans.

Snoopy
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Snoopy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:57 am

Now, I have just a little bit of the problem with the casualty reports thing. So, tell me if I’m understanding this correctly.

The Yeerks, or at least some Yeerks, thought it was suspicious when the casualty reports for Hork-Bajir were high, and the human casualty level was low. And this is what led V1 to eventually figuring out that the Animorphs were human. Is this the basic problem?

Because if so, then I have a solution which I think Jake was a ding-bat not to come up with when V1 asked him that question. Who were the shock-troops of the Yeerk Empire? Humans? No! Hork-Bajir! So doesn’t it make sense that the Hork casualty levels would be much higher than human casualty levels, considering that the Hork did the vast majority of the dirty work?

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:59 am

Yep. That makes sense. In fact, when I was reading that book and Jake didn't respond like that, I was shocked. I mean, he isn't the most intelligent guy, but still it was kind of a logical argument. I thought even Cassie could have spat that one out.

I mean, how many times, really, are humans in combat? What kind of mentally deficient Yeerk would stand there, in a human host, and face down a tiger, grizzly, gorilla, wolf, or Andalite? It's ridiculous.

Snoopy
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Snoopy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:01 am

Exactly. Doesn’t it irritate you when the characters in the story make dumb mistakes like that, just for the sake of the story-line being more dramatic?

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:20 pm

I blame the ghostwriters. KAA wouldn't have done that herself.

Snoopy
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Snoopy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:35 pm

Hey… that’s a great idea! Use the ghosts as a scapegoat! Thanks, capnnerefir. You’ve set my mind at ease.

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:34 pm

I love blaming things on them. Although I really think that is the case in this instance. Think about it. It was early during the introduction of ghostwriters (which began some time around book 25); they weren't fully in control of the books yet, I think. Kind of like when you first morph a new animal.