Marco is Bisexual

Discussions regarding the Animorphs books
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Ardelin
Civilian

Re: Marco is Bisexual

Post by Ardelin » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:25 am

Dpsb5 wrote:
Ardelin wrote:My preferred headcanon is actually that he's asexual, but I'm happy for other people.
And why would that be?
a) because I am, and would like someone to be :P
b) because he doesn't have a canon love interest, so it's an obvious option
c) because I don't really feel the stuff I'm about to relay below and his ~attraction to girls never felt genuine either
d) in the only date I recall him going on, he falls asleep.
e) I feel like he'd try explaining human sexual attraction-related idioms to Ax and then have the rest of the Animorphs go "uh, Marco. It's not actually a joke."
luckyclover13 wrote:Wait, what?
I'm not the most capable of making a judgement right now considering my memory of the series is really hazy right now, but was there anything in the canon that vaguely hinted at that??
Towards Jake,
  • "Jake, oooh baby, you are the man for me. I love your big manly shoulders. I love your piercing brown eyes. (They are brown, right?) But most of all, I love the macho, manly way you boss us all around, snapping out orders left and right. I think of you as the new Glint Eastwood. I must have you all to myself. Signed, Cassie. XXX." I sighed. Marco, of course.
  • He held out his arms to me and said, "What, no kiss for me?"
  • There's probably other stuff, I don't look for it.
  • It's meant as jokes, but people do joke about things that are true."
Towards Ax, there's the frequent mentions of how strangely pretty his human morph is, "It's okay, we're very good friends." I sat down and yanked Ax down onto my lap.,Ax vaulted into the pond in a beautiful, perfect arc, his Andalite form clearly outlined in the morning sun., My heart started beating again. <Hey, Ax-man. Glad you could make it. He's fine,>. Et cetera.

I disagree that continuing to talk about the series somehow damages children's critical reading capabilities. Apart from anything else, we clearly have no problem disagreeing with him.

SoWeirdBoy
Gedd

Post by SoWeirdBoy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:06 pm

I always did think there was a bromance between Marco and Jake!

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:36 pm

<As a rule I say these word of god statements are true for that universe, so Marco is bi, however not everyone is bi to some degree. I am a man, I can look at another man and know if he is ugly or attractive by what I have been told human standards are, that does not mean that any part of me wants to kiss this guy.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

inspectorjavert
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by inspectorjavert » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:41 pm

I just made a post on another form where I said that if the series were rebooted for adults they'd retcon one character to be gay... I really hate being right.

This diversity cult in YA literature needs to be shown the door. "Representation" is complete and utter crap, I am a southerner, if my culture is shown in books the character is always a redneck, a racist, or an uneducated bumpkin and many times: all three. This rush to put LGBT plus, times divide characters in children's literature reeks of football spiking, its like the Obgerfell decision was the fall of some kind of fortress and now the looting is starting with everyone showing off how cool they are by stacking gay characters in like trophies.

Not every group needs one of every disaffected minority, I really find it sad that authors' in general and YA authors in particular have such low opinions of minorities as to think them incapable of enjoying a book that doesn't have someone exactly like them in it. There's a line between investment in a character and pandering and this is pure pandering. If you want a character to be bi do what people have been doing since the 70s: write a slash fic.

If Marco had been portrayed as bi in the original series that would be less egregious but with this coming out (no pun intended) a decade after the end of the series, its insulting to tell you the truth.

Look, for the record I don't care if there are gay characters in literature, though matters of sexuality need to be handled delicately in anything aimed at children, its this rush to add a gay or bi character to every possible situation that I have a problem with. There's also the issue of "bi" being code for "the character is straight but we want to virtue signal a bit" but that's another post for another time. Suffice to say going to this opposite extreme from a de facto "don't ask don't tell" in literature isn't right.

Ramona
Commander
Commander

Post by Ramona » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:53 pm

I know one girl who refuses to read or watch anything that doesn't have a female MC and considers anything that doesn't to be "sexist". And oh boy, if your favourite character is a man.....Well, I'm sure you can figure out how well she takes that from my first sentence. She particularly hates me because I'm wary of picking up books with female leads by female authors after 2000. I've read so many books where no one calls them out and I just can't forgive a lot of the actions. Female leads in general but considering the worst books I've read were from female authors...No thanks.

I think it's one of the "road to hell is paved with good intentions" things and the representation just ends up being either a stereotype or 'Can't-do-anything-wrong" character or both. Last year, I made it my mission to read at least two books from every genre. One book has 4-star rating on goodreads and our "heroine", at a point, has to literally stop herself from having sex with her unconscious client. She was kissing him already because he was having nightmares. Unconcious because he takes heavy sleeping pills that the heroine states would make it impossible for her to wake him up.

That's not something I'm going to find forgivable in a protagonist. I'm just glad I borrowed it from the library because at least I didn't spend money on it. It has four stars. Four stars.
Look at me. I am your own nightmare....Okay, I'm not, I'm just some random on the internet that couldn't think of a witty line. Humour me?

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:32 pm

<By definition if I only read books or watch movies with a MC of a given gender, that is sexist.>
"Oh, you are a white male? You must be a racist and a rapist!"
<That statment is both racist and sexist.>
<I have nothing against strong female characters, I watched Xena: Warrior Princes, Buffy the vampire slayer, and a lot of other shows with strong female characters. My favorite Harry Potter character is Hermione. This does not mean that I want to have sex with these characters or the actresses who play them.>
<Here is a question for you, if I took a book and switched all the names and genders of all the characters, would you still think that the book was just as good? Keep in mind all I am doing is changing all the males into females and all of the females into males, then giving them gender appropriate names. If you think that I just improved the book by a thousand percent, or made it worse by the same amount, then you might be sexist.>
<In fact that is a good test. Next time you read a fiction book, read it twice, the first time normally, the next time with the genders switched. Do you feel the same way about it? How is it better? How is it worse?>

<This reminds me of a short video I saw many years ago. The group that made this video wants to end the suffering gay and lesbian couples face. The movie takes place in an alternet universe where nearly everyone is gay. The story follows a girl with two mommies. She realizes that she is attracted to a young boy about her age. She grows up knowing that she is diffrent. The school is putting on a play, their version of Romeo and Juliet, only this version has two guys. Her moms have a conversation about a couple who moved in and put up a "straight pride" flag. They tell her not to hang out with those people. Eventually she tells a boy that she likes him, as in likes him likes him. She gets teased and beat up for being "a breeder". The movie ends with her killing herself because of the shame she feels.>
<I can't help wondering how such a society could exist for long...how do they reproduce when you are horribly shamed for being a breeder?>
<That being said I have never shamed anyone for their sexual orientation, I just see the world highly logicly, and I know that if from the time of Romeo and Juliet we have only reproduced with petre dishes and test tubes, then we will have a much smaller population.>

Ramona
Commander
Commander

Post by Ramona » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:21 pm

Never said I was friends with the girl. It's also why the sexist was in quotes.

For the books I like? Yeah, I would feel the same. Same with the books I don't like/hate. Just going with books here because I'd rather not get into non-fiction stuff, I think humans have swung to the other end of the extreme in which it is the female MCs who do questionable and outright terrible actions with no consequences or punishment. And if anyone calls the action out, it is usually the villain and someone you are supposed to be against.

Ever read a book where you found the MCs so horrible you ended up siding with the designated villain and just hoping maybe the MCs are horrible because the author is going to do a plot-twist and have the designated villain be the actual protagonist? I have. The villain was supposed to villain. Can't remember the title (I can't remember a lot of titles) but I remember actively siding with the villain.

If a lot the books I've read that has made me wary were male characters, I'd still be wary of picking up those books. Still read them if the plot intrigues me but I'm going to be aware of your character does something like almost having sex with an unconscious and drugged "love interest" and not having any consequences or callouts for that behaviour. And get with the love interest in the end. It has four f*** stars. I am bitter about that. This is why the romance genre has a terrible reputation. (It's Ever After by Jude Devaroux in case you don't believe me about the four-star thing).

Unless it's a horror or tragedy book, I'm expecting terrible s*** from the MCs in those books. And tbf, it usually actually does have consequences if it's the tragedy genre since, well, it's tragedy.

The only books I don't read off-the-bat are the ones that only have quotes of praise on the back. If I have to search for the damn summary, I will not read the book.
Look at me. I am your own nightmare....Okay, I'm not, I'm just some random on the internet that couldn't think of a witty line. Humour me?

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:33 pm

<I apologize if I made it sound like you had the same views as the person you were talking about.>
<I remember before the last president of the United States took office. There were only 3 choices left, an old "white" man, a "white" woman, and a "black" man. I was talking to a woman who says that she was voting for the woman. I asked if it was just because she was a woman. The woman I was talking to said "no", yet later in the conversation she admitted it.>

Ramona
Commander
Commander

Post by Ramona » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:11 pm

Nah, it's my fault for reading on mobile without my glasses.

And I just realised my comment actually on-topic for this topic never went through apparently.

Very edited version: For the record, I always thought Marco was bi but not the others.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:55 am

<Marco is one of the only two Animorphs to morph into a human of a diffrent gender.>
<Does that make him transsexual?>