Marco is Bisexual

Discussions regarding the Animorphs books
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Marco is Bisexual

Post by capnnerefir » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:37 pm

In an exchange on Twitter, Michael Grant (K. A. Applegate's husband and co-author of the series) recently had this to say about Marco and his orientation:
How about this. Since I believe all people are to one degree or another bi, Marco was bi. <--Canon

Wish we'd been more overt. We worried we might put the publisher on the spot. It was like 1997 or something.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Re: Marco is Bisexual

Post by gh astly » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:12 pm

I actually was thinking about this today, and honestly, the reaction to this tweet kind of pissed me off. I saw the whole conversation, and to me, it seemed that the only thing that led to Grant saying this was that somebody was kind of hounding him for some sort of a confirmation. Also, nobody looked at the ". . . I believe all people are to one degree or another bi" part of the comment. This implies that all the characters are bi - all the other Animorphs, their parents, Hork-Bajir, etc. Actually, in hindsight, that makes the "all Yeerks are gay" joke from Animorphs Abridged a lot funnier :P But back on-track, people only focus on Marco because that's what this person was hounding Michael Grant about, when his statement has a lot more implications than what people are focusing on.

Personally, I never really put much thought into the topic. Aside from maybe a couple of minor gags, I never thought Marco had any serious interest in guys. The way Mr. Grant's comment was worded, it opens things up for interpretation; I personally don't believe that everybody is bisexual, so I consider Marco straight. No disrespect to Grant, I think he's the man, but I personally don't share his belief that led to him saying that, so I draw a different conclusion. And that's all cool; as long as a character's sexuality isn't directly stated in the medium, you can extrapolate whatever conclusions you want. I don't think that we should take MG's words as gospel unless they were what were written on-page, especially since this was addressed so many years after the series had ended.

Well, that's my long, rambling 2 cents. And, just to annoy Cappy, Dumbledore. That is all.

(Holy crap it has been way too long since I've been active here)
Animorphs: The Abridged Series. Post there so I'm not lonely.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Well, it's just entertainment, folks.

spocksbrows
Gedd

Post by spocksbrows » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:43 pm

Even if it was just something to say to get someone to shut up... I'm completely stoked tbh? Canon!!! Queer!!!! Representation!!! And no one can rly say anything about it?? I mean, the first part of that is so... eugh I don't know. But, still. It's something? That could be a win? Also Marco has always been a fave so, stoked.

Ardelin
Civilian

Post by Ardelin » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:36 pm

My preferred headcanon is actually that he's asexual, but I'm happy for other people.

Dpsb5
Civilian

Post by Dpsb5 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:22 pm

Ardelin wrote:My preferred headcanon is actually that he's asexual, but I'm happy for other people.
And why would that be?

I'm glad that Marco is bisexual, but it does feel kinda random for MG to say that 14 years after ending the series.
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?top ... #msg891529

Spencer
Rampant AI
Rampant AI

Post by Spencer » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:22 am

Interesting. Thats very interesting indeed.

luckyclover13
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by luckyclover13 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:31 pm

Wait, what?
I'm not the most capable of making a judgement right now considering my memory of the series is really hazy right now, but was there anything in the canon that vaguely hinted at that??

(On an only-slightly-relevant note, I wish authors would stop thinking it's okay to relay this kind of definitive facts about their characters after the series ends? To me, it's kind of undermining the whole attitude of literature that readers' interpretation matters more than author's intent. And if writers keep doing that, children will believe more and more that there is a "right answer" to their opinions about their favourite books.
I should blame JKR for popularising this whole "announcing new facts about your long-concluded series" thing, but I need to admit that reading all her tweets about Harry Potter is my guilty pleasure........ sigh.)
This fight is personal.

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:56 pm

luckyclover13 wrote:(On an only-slightly-relevant note, I wish authors would stop thinking it's okay to relay this kind of definitive facts about their characters after the series ends? To me, it's kind of undermining the whole attitude of literature that readers' interpretation matters more than author's intent. And if writers keep doing that, children will believe more and more that there is a "right answer" to their opinions about their favourite books.)
This. I couldn't have said that one any better myself.
Animorphs: The Abridged Series. Post there so I'm not lonely.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Well, it's just entertainment, folks.

Spencer
Rampant AI
Rampant AI

Post by Spencer » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:26 am

It aids in world building and allows authors to reveal things they intended for their world that they couldn't place in the story proper due to limitations put in place by the publisher or (and this one happens super often) due to limitations of the Point of View characters.

Wilbow, the writer of the somewhat popular web serial Worm, is still an active member of various fan communities and often releases Word of God statements that expand the universe that he wanted to put in the main story but couldn't for any number of reasons (and that's saying something considering its 1.75 million word count). This kind of thing is usually incredibly helpful to fanfiction authors if nothing else.

As a lore junkie for half a dozen different fandoms, I can only say I'd much rather they'd tell us more things like this than none at all. After all, while we now know more about the intent of the authors, there's no rule saying we have to abide by their interpretations. Their are entire genres of fan fiction that ignore canon. We call them Alternate Universe stories generally, and they're pretty popular.

There's a quote I love that I've long forgotten the source of: "It's fan-fiction, not slavish-adherence-to-canon-fiction. If we wanted that, we'd read canon."

Walrus
Gedd

Post by Walrus » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:19 pm

People are not to one degree or another bi -_- But Michael Grant says a lot of things I disagree with so I am not surprised
Anyway, I am happy that there is a Bi character in this series.