Animorphs Q&A

Discussions regarding the Animorphs books
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
vaajtastic
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Ax

andalite morph

Post by vaajtastic » Thu May 07, 2015 3:11 pm

Just started re-reading the books (finished andalite chronicles and #1 so far this round) and am wondering why they never acquired an andalite morph. I know there was the whole dont want to aquire a sentient species thing (at least a specific person, ax melded folks and i think i remember cassie or rachel morphing another person) but even if they all didnt just aquire ax, how come they didnt aquire elfangor? Battle abilities, possible memories? (dont know if thats possible in the cannon but would be a trove of info on the yeerks and war in general)

vaajtastic
Gedd

Re: Animorphs Q&A

Post by vaajtastic » Fri May 08, 2015 5:57 am

Have not read this since elementary school, but recently started rereading the series while at work. Finished up Andalite Chronicles and Invasion yesterday and something kinda jumped out at me. One the description of Elfangors last moments in the books are different enough that im like wtf. Also why in the world would elfangor have not given the Animorphs himself as a morph? I know cassie or Rachel morphed a person in one of the later books i believe and I think i remember them getting some of that persons emotion/memories. (could be wrong its been awhile) but if that happens having him as a morph and being able to score some intel from his memories probably would have been extremely helpful. not to mention if they ever got caught in human form they could have morphed andalite to fool whoever.

YeerkSalad
War-Prince
War-Prince
Location: You're right! That place you're thinking of? I live there! Are you a psychic?

Post by YeerkSalad » Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

I think that the reason they didn't morph Ax was the same reason they didn't morph humans. It just felt... wrong. As for Elfangor, he was dying. Often, when people die, they start to go a little crazy. I use the excuse that Elfangor wasn't thinking straight.
"Hey, kids! Here's a power that could cause you to become corrupt! Don't screw up, having the fate of Earth in your hands and all! AGHHGHHHHHH! <Hope!>"
I'm way more active on RAF. If you want to contact me, go there.

YeerkSalad
War-Prince
War-Prince
Location: You're right! That place you're thinking of? I live there! Are you a psychic?

Post by YeerkSalad » Sat May 09, 2015 11:29 am

[deleted]
Last edited by YeerkSalad on Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YeerkSalad
War-Prince
War-Prince

Post by YeerkSalad » Sat May 09, 2015 6:31 pm

Regarding the thought-speak KASU in book one, I have come up with an Epileptic Tree.
In the second book, remember Visser Three's hologram? Let's say that the Yeerks' holograms are insanely complex. I won't delve into why Chapman would have one of these über-expensive holograms for himself.
Anyway, let's say that the Multiverse Theory is true, and that there are an infinite number of V3s in an infinite number of locations saying an infinite number of things. This machine doesn't create a hologram, but instead calls up the universe where V3 is doing the same stuff as the real Visser, except is in Chapman's basement. You see, it links the two universes.
Rachel/Cat leaps towards the hologram (because logic) and the hologram malfunctions, consuming Rachel and transporting her to an alternate dimension with one slight difference that is (mostly) unrelated to V3: thought-speak cannot be used by humans out of morph.
Please correct me if the KASU is fixed in book 2 and not 3. I suppose I'll need a new tree.

Ironhide
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Ironhide » Tue May 12, 2015 6:40 pm

vaajtastic wrote:Have not read this since elementary school, but recently started rereading the series while at work. Finished up Andalite Chronicles and Invasion yesterday and something kinda jumped out at me. One the description of Elfangors last moments in the books are different enough that im like wtf. Also why in the world would elfangor have not given the Animorphs himself as a morph? I know cassie or Rachel morphed a person in one of the later books i believe and I think i remember them getting some of that persons emotion/memories. (could be wrong its been awhile) but if that happens having him as a morph and being able to score some intel from his memories probably would have been extremely helpful. not to mention if they ever got caught in human form they could have morphed andalite to fool whoever.
It likely wasn't something Elfangor was really thinking about at the time. He knew time was incredibly short and was giving the Animorphs what they needed to know before the Visser found them. The Animorphs didn't come up with their rule against morphing sentient species until a little later.

I'm also not sure that acquiring Elfangor would've given them any sort of useful intel. Unless I missed something, when they acquire DNA, they're only acquiring DNA. Memories are not specifically tied to DNA. Although there are interesting studies that show it may be possible to transfer memories through genetics.

That being said, one thing that I had often wondered was why the Animorphs didn't at least acquire Ax once they found him. It would have given them a way to truly sell the "Andalite Bandits" lie. Especially in the end of the series when certain Yeerks began to suspect the truth since the Animorphs only ever had one Andalite present.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:57 pm

<They never get human memories through morphing, however there are some times that they seem to have animals conciseness. >
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

Edz
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Edz » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:33 am

Does it ever explain why the animorphs are happy to kill innocent hork bajir but not humans?

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by capnnerefir » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:08 pm

They're not happy about it at all (except maybe Rachel). The various narrators frequently comment on the unfairness of the situation and express sympathy for the Hork-bajir. But there's really no way around it. Humans aren't particularly dangerous, especially if they're unarmed. They're easily knocked out or just ignored. Hork-bajir are always dangerous, and they don't go down easily. No one is happy about it, there just isn't any other choice.

jwnco
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by jwnco » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:18 pm

its gonna be harder killing someone of your own species than killing another species