500 Species The Animorphs Should Have Morphed!

Discussions regarding the Animorphs books
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Sassy_Cat
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: 500 Species The Animorphs Should Have Morphed!

Post by Sassy_Cat » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:56 pm

Well, Tobias did once.
"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."
- Ray Bradbury

My amazing blog- http://yasreadyas.blogspot.com/

LadyFaith
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by LadyFaith » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:49 am

Yes, but he was the only one, and in battles he went on using his own hawk-body :?

PKWonder
Aristh
Aristh
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by PKWonder » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:18 pm

BabelFish42 wrote:PK, you're writing a fan fic? That's awesome! What's it about specifically?
I'm so glad you asked! :D I've had a long hiatus from this site (and my fanfic).

I had made it to about book #18 on my reread over the summer, but for whatever reason became busy with everything else. I'm about to sweep through the entire series (and introduce my girlfriend in the process, I think she'll appreciate the complexity and we'll have great conversations about humanity and war and ethics).

My fanfic is going to start roughly in the middle of the Animorphs' War, before it becomes widespread knowledge. Basically, a small, non-Andalite species who is aware of our Animorphs, grants another group the morphing power using his own technology. This new group, located elsewhere in America, is intended to be a failsafe, as he expects the Animorphs to fall casualty to the war. There are six of them; they are a few years older (late teens, maybe early twenties). Ironically, we know that the original Animorphs do indeed succeed, and it will be this group who will fail (I'm not saying they all die or anything, but they aren't the ones who directly end the war in the way Prince Jake and crew do). They do, however, play a vital role in the history; to what extent, you'll just have to stay tuned. I plan on tying up a lot of lose ends and expanding the mythology and universe of several alien species and technologies (and introducing a couple of new ones) quite a bit. I expect book length to be roughly the same, and I written have the rough synopsis of about twenty books, I just have to start actually writing. I wanted to do this last year, but I am really committed to doing it this year, and if my girlfriend actually enjoys the series, having someone to discuss my project with in real life might be just the muse I need.

BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by BabelFish42 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:15 pm

PKWonder wrote:My fanfic is going to start roughly in the middle of the Animorphs' War, before it becomes widespread knowledge. Basically, a small, non-Andalite species who is aware of our Animorphs, grants another group the morphing power using his own technology. This new group, located elsewhere in America, is intended to be a failsafe, as he expects the Animorphs to fall casualty to the war. There are six of them; they are a few years older (late teens, maybe early twenties). Ironically, we know that the original Animorphs do indeed succeed, and it will be this group who will fail (I'm not saying they all die or anything, but they aren't the ones who directly end the war in the way Prince Jake and crew do). They do, however, play a vital role in the history; to what extent, you'll just have to stay tuned. I plan on tying up a lot of lose ends and expanding the mythology and universe of several alien species and technologies (and introducing a couple of new ones) quite a bit. I expect book length to be roughly the same, and I written have the rough synopsis of about twenty books, I just have to start actually writing. I wanted to do this last year, but I am really committed to doing it this year, and if my girlfriend actually enjoys the series, having someone to discuss my project with in real life might be just the muse I need.
That sounds awesome! Will you post it here as you're writing it? Please?
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

PKWonder
Aristh
Aristh

Post by PKWonder » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:20 pm

BabelFish42 wrote:
That sounds awesome! Will you post it here as you're writing it? Please?

Of course! I'm really liking the narrative skeleton I've made designed so far, and it's quickly becoming my head canon. I welcome any and all great ideas (I'll give special thanks before the books).

A few things so far:
-Lots more Leerans.
-This is as equally character-driven as the original series. Since the characters are older, they will be of more mature mindsets and have different issues and responsibilities going on in their personal lives. There will be at least one major romance, but this will never be one of those fanfics. :good: I'm going to keep it as PG-13 as the original series, but not spare any of the violence or intensity or despair. It's going to be a tribute to the original series, expanding on the wonderful and intricate universe Applegate already designed. This is how she intended it after all.
-The setting is a large town/small city that isn't too far away from a larger city. It is not located on the coast. The larger city does have a zoo, but in the first book or so, they are not able to access its selection of morphs. They aren't blessed with a Cassie.
-This series' Jake is named Luke. He is intelligent and openminded, fairly sociable and outgoing, and likes politics, but he isn't the natural-born leader that Jake was. He is more of a tactician like Marco. He's extremely rational, yet he leans towards optimism and idealism. You could say he's a dreamer, but his head isn't in the clouds. He's in college studying journalism.
-Lyra is the skeptic and the realist. She doesn't want to be involved in the war, and doubts that they will make any progress in the fight against the Yeerks, but she's a warrior. She isn't like Rachel though. She doesn't get the same satisfaction from destroying the enemy, she just has the loyalty and determination to her species to be good at it. She's a huge foil to Luke. She's much more of an introvert, yet every bit as intelligent as him. They probably butt heads the most on tactics and approaches. Luke is the de facto leader as the quickest thinker and public speaker, but Lyra is just as much of a puppeteer on the group's decisions.
-Derrik is Luke's best friend. He is extremely family-oriented. He's a gamer who spends a lot of time online. He also has a very "forever alone" attitude and is extremely pessimistic towards relationships. He believes he is cursed with bad luck. He has his friend's interest in mind, but is constant doubt. He may sound like kind of a mix of Marco and Tobias now, but he will narrate very differently. He is also very religious, and remains so in spite of what surrounds him.
-There are two other Animorphs, one female, one male. I'm still developing them.
-I'm also still developing the main Yeerk villain who oversees the invasion of this area of the country. He will be noticeably different in personality from Visser Three. Expect a new species of Controller.

BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral

Post by BabelFish42 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:30 am

Nice. I like the sound of these characters so far. Can I ask what your ideas are so far for the other two Anis? Are Lyra and Luke a couple? (You said one major romance.) If not, maybe the two unnamed Anis could be the ones who are in a relationship. Also, what's Lyra's big hang-up? (Her main motivation for not wanting to be involved?) Is it just her realism, or is their something more to it, like "I have a family member who needs me around" like what we saw with Marco early in the series?

What about the character of the main antagonist? (I'm guessing probably some high-ranking Sub-Visser or something.) Personally, I prefer more of a Visser One type of personality... but totally your call.

Thanks for sharing these details :)
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

PKWonder
Aristh
Aristh

Post by PKWonder » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:19 pm

The Yeerk-in-Head will have a lot more in common with Visser One than V3, definitely. He isn't some evil incarnate, but he does have a bit of a... personality disorder? If you're familiar with The Walking Dead, think the character of The Governor and his tank of walker heads, although with less sadistic reasoning. He's inspired by both V1 and V3.

Lyra also wouldn't make a good primary leader because she overthinks every decision to death. Luke on the other hand can make decisions on the fly, and for the most part they are good decisions, but we all know that not every decision is that simple. I don't want to talk about the romance at this time. She does have a big hang-up. It isn't any one person directly. It's more of an internal dilemma. Stay tuned.

I said Derrik was family-oriented, but this results in something opposite of Marco. He fights for them (and his friends). They're what keeps him going. He's so family-oriented he considers his friends an honorary extension of his family. They're really what keeps him going. Let's just say he has permanently broken-heart syndrome due to some girl who thought she was better than him. He's intentionally going to be really annoyingly whiney sometimes, but surprisingly he might just serve as the comic relief character in spite of his tragic attitude. He gets kind of an escapist high from morphing, but he isn't trying to become a nothlit. He's pretty Chaotic Good (he has some very Robin Hood moments).

Sassy_Cat
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Sassy_Cat » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:47 pm

Wait... wait... should have morphed... Albatrosses (though they might have done that...).
It would be a lot easier for long distance travel.
"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."
- Ray Bradbury

My amazing blog- http://yasreadyas.blogspot.com/

BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral

Post by BabelFish42 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:38 pm

PKWonder wrote:The Yeerk-in-Head will have a lot more in common with Visser One than V3, definitely. He isn't some evil incarnate, but he does have a bit of a... personality disorder? If you're familiar with The Walking Dead, think the character of The Governor and his tank of walker heads, although with less sadistic reasoning. He's inspired by both V1 and V3.

Lyra also wouldn't make a good primary leader because she overthinks every decision to death. Luke on the other hand can make decisions on the fly, and for the most part they are good decisions, but we all know that not every decision is that simple. I don't want to talk about the romance at this time. She does have a big hang-up. It isn't any one person directly. It's more of an internal dilemma. Stay tuned.

I said Derrik was family-oriented, but this results in something opposite of Marco. He fights for them (and his friends). They're what keeps him going. He's so family-oriented he considers his friends an honorary extension of his family. They're really what keeps him going. Let's just say he has permanently broken-heart syndrome due to some girl who thought she was better than him. He's intentionally going to be really annoyingly whiney sometimes, but surprisingly he might just serve as the comic relief character in spite of his tragic attitude. He gets kind of an escapist high from morphing, but he isn't trying to become a nothlit. He's pretty Chaotic Good (he has some very Robin Hood moments).
Cool. I love all the world-building/character-building/plot-building that goes into planning out original stories and fanfics. :-)

PKWonder
Aristh
Aristh

Post by PKWonder » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:22 pm

Sassy_Cat wrote:Wait... wait... should have morphed... Albatrosses (though they might have done that...).
It would be a lot easier for long distance travel.
Nope, just seagulls. Pelicans would've been cool too.