Ear drums

Discussions regarding the Animorphs books
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Re: Ear drums

Post by BabelFish42 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:19 pm

loosonghan wrote:
Ellimist wrote:It's definitely a KASU. Although it seems totally absurd that the Yeerks can enter into the brain through the ear, without penetrating the ear drum. :roll:
Can't be.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1876

for people who did not, cannot or will not go to the website above, capnnerefir explains
While the ear drum may, in fact, be in the way, it is an established fact within the universe of the series that Yeerks can, in fact, enter your brain that way. This is consistent throughout the series and in no way conflicts with other facts of the series, nor is it ever contradicted by something in-universe.
So There
:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :P :P :P :P :P
Ok, so it's not a KASU, but it could still be a physical impossibility.
Menno wrote:But as far as the yeerks entering through the eardurm, my understanding is that they can squish and stretch their bodies to pass through spaces even a hair's width. Is the eardrum firmly attached to the inner ear on its entire circumference? I don't know, but if so, I would guess that the yeerks pass through the eardrum via an osmosis-like process. Really, with the insane sh*t that so many REAL parasites do (look up Guinea worm, tongue-eating louse, horsehair worm), is it really so farfetch'd to imagine a parasite that can pass the eardrum?
The ear drum (tymphanic membrane) is airtight, which is how fluid can get trapped behind it during ear infections. BUT, you can make an incision in the ear drum without making a person lose their sense of hearing, if you make the incision in the right place. In fact, surgeons do this sometimes for kids with chronic ear infections. It's called a myringotomy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... FkV5qVYs3Y

So maybe Yeerks do something like that?

By the way, lol @ the entire first page of this thread :)
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:37 pm

Snoopy wrote:I agree… entering through the ear does seem a little far fetched. There’s no way anything could get to the brain without seriously damaging the internal structures of the ear.

As far as humans go, I would think the best way to enter the brain would be through the nose. (Yes, I know it's disgusting…) But think about it. There’s no really important organs in the way, just a little bit of bone between the nasal cavity and the brain. Of course, if this were the case then it would be physically impossible for a Yeerk to infest an Andalite…
<If I remember correctly we already have a topic where we talk about this very thing.>
<The noise would be a lot easyer for a Yeerk to get into, and actually, even though Andalites don't have mouths, I do believe that they have holes in their heads for breathing.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

freebooksftw
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by freebooksftw » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:54 pm

interesting

thirdfloornorth
Gedd

Post by thirdfloornorth » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:42 pm

I always thought it should be more like the Goa'uld from Stargate: Through the base of the neck, or even through the back of the throat. Ear never made sense, all things considered.

SamilinCorrathGahar
Ruler of Everything
Ruler of Everything
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by SamilinCorrathGahar » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:30 pm

<Well it is a lot faster than to go in through the feet, and in the case of Andalites, it is a lot safer for the Yeerks.>
<Yes, it is I, Captain Samilin-Corrath-Gahar of the Andalite ship Ascalin, and ruler of everything .>

sdsnl
Gedd

Post by sdsnl » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:59 am

I guess it wouldn't matter. Assuming the Yeerks need the ability to hear in their natural state...they should have ears right? So they could just listen with their own ears; there's no need to use the hosts'. Just like if I were hiding in a box, I don't need the box to have ears for me to hear what's outside. I just need relatively sensitive ears since the box would block out some sound. I bet the Yeerks would have the technology to make hearing aids, if their hearing isn't all that great.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:40 am

<...Yeerk ears would be designed for hearing under 'water' and not for hearing through 'air', most life forms that live on land (who aren't insects) have ears that are vaguely bowl shaped to collect sound.>
<I think that tapping into the hosts ears would be a lot better for them than listening through the skull/box.>

ronthomas45
Gedd

Post by ronthomas45 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:08 am

very good case in point there is not anatomical way they can do this...just a KAsU

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:24 am

<Lots of interesting points are being made here. Man I love this site.>

Struthious
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by Struthious » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:14 pm

I imagine, as Yeerks are quite porous slugs that can absorb Kadrona rays by swimming in a pool one must assume that they are not entirely solid creatures. As such their biological makeup is one that is kind of like a viscous liquid that can subtly alter is shape as required. I mean it's not like when it's in a persons head it can make more room for itself in the skull by getting rid of parts of brain, so it's kind of of assumed that they can merge themselves with the brain of their host.If they can essentially bond with their host via osmosis, why would it be so hard to imagine that the same principle can be applied to passing through the ear drum where no actual damage is caused the yeerk just has to seep through the membrane that is the inner ear.
01000011 01101111 01101101 01100101 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01010011
01110100 01110010 01110101 01110100 01101000 01101001 01101111 01110101 01110011
00100000 01110111 01101001 01110100 01101000 00100000 01101101 01100101 00101110