Ear drums

Discussions regarding the Animorphs books
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
adambot
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: Ear drums

Post by adambot » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:55 am

i always thought they attached to the ear drum and controlled the hosts via manipulations to the ear drum - sending specific waves so that it would create electical impulses that acted like a buffer overrun/sql injection on a computer

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Current » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:49 pm

It'd be an interesting idea, but it's pretty well established that they enter the brain.
What is not the answer to this question?

Sorunome
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Sorunome » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:37 am

Book 13 (I think)
Spoiler:
One of the hork bajirs sliced open his head and you could see his brain to let the animorphs see that they aren't controllers.
Wait, what happened? Oh, you just lost THE GAME

Tim Bruening
Prince
Prince
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by Tim Bruening » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:51 pm

Sorunome wrote:Book 13 (I think)
Spoiler:
One of the hork bajirs sliced open his head and you could see his brain to let the animorphs see that they aren't controllers.
Did the Hork Bajir live?

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination

Post by Current » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:26 pm

Yes. They are a resilient species.
What is not the answer to this question?

Sassy_Cat
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Sassy_Cat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:13 pm

impossibly resilient if you ask me. Doing anything like so as any normal creature would have all those vital fluids spill out before you even got to the brain. Either these guys have no blood, or someone's fooling with me.
Possibly both.
"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."
- Ray Bradbury

My amazing blog- http://yasreadyas.blogspot.com/

Sorunome
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Sorunome » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:48 am

Maybe that's why they are not so intelligent, they don't have enough body fluids.
Wait, what happened? Oh, you just lost THE GAME

momma1986
Gedd

Post by momma1986 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:14 pm

This used to bother me a lot when I was younger, I mean, even a kid knows that we have eardrums in there (hello ear infections?). But maybe they have some sort of magical ear drum healing mucus they secrete or something? lol

Menno
Prince
Prince

Post by Menno » Mon May 07, 2012 2:38 pm

Sassy_Cat wrote:impossibly resilient if you ask me. Doing anything like so as any normal creature would have all those vital fluids spill out before you even got to the brain. Either these guys have no blood, or someone's fooling with me.
Possibly both.
I don't find it very difficult to imagine a species in which the blood vessels contract shut when severed in order to reduce the outflow of blood. I mean, human blood automatically clots when we get cut, so wouldn't that just be taking it one logical step further? Besides, since the hork-bajir were created by the arn to be a not-so-bright species covered in blades and living in trees hundreds of feet tall, it makes sense that the arn would have made them particularly resistant to injury. The only problem I have with it, is that there are so many instances in the series when the Animorphs easily take out hork-bajir with just one swipe of a paw. The resilience of hork-bajir seems rather inconsistent throughout the series.

But as far as the yeerks entering through the eardurm, my understanding is that they can squish and stretch their bodies to pass through spaces even a hair's width. Is the eardrum firmly attached to the inner ear on its entire circumference? I don't know, but if so, I would guess that the yeerks pass through the eardrum via an osmosis-like process. Really, with the insane sh*t that so many REAL parasites do (look up Guinea worm, tongue-eating louse, horsehair worm), is it really so farfetch'd to imagine a parasite that can pass the eardrum?

loosonghan
Warrior
Warrior

Post by loosonghan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:28 pm

Ellimist wrote:It's definitely a KASU. Although it seems totally absurd that the Yeerks can enter into the brain through the ear, without penetrating the ear drum. :roll:
Can't be.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1876

for people who did not, cannot or will not go to the website above, capnnerefir explains
While the ear drum may, in fact, be in the way, it is an established fact within the universe of the series that Yeerks can, in fact, enter your brain that way. This is consistent throughout the series and in no way conflicts with other facts of the series, nor is it ever contradicted by something in-universe.
So There
:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :P :P :P :P :P
When life throws you lemons...
Keep them, cause they are free

A journey of a thousand miles begin with a step...
On a gas pedal.

He who laugh last...
Is the slowest!