Ear drums

Discussions regarding the Animorphs books
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Re: Ear drums

Post by TF. » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:17 pm

Which way would that be?
Image Image Image Image

teacup_pig
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by teacup_pig » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:04 pm

The more I read of this thread the more I think it would be possible for a yeerk to get past the eardrum. If it is capable of stretching itself out to cover the whole brain then it can stretch thin enough to get through a small hole in the eardrum membrane. A perforated eardrum can be painful and affect hearing but a small enough hole might allow the drum to still vibrate normally. And you've already talked about the process being painful and the yeerk using aneasthetic. The yeerk could also exude something to heal or seal the damage afterwards, this sort of thing is commonly evolved by parasites and biting animals. Of course the yeerks shouldn't have had time to evolve slime that does this to humans but maybe we're assuming that humans have similar physiology to the aliens. They do seem to have DNA similar enough that andalites and animorphs can morph all the aliens they come in contact with. (Biological similarity is common in sci-fi, if only so that you can use actors with lots of make-up as all the aliens, and so the humans can flirt with them.)
If yeerks were capable of fixing the ear after they went through then that wouldn't mean that they had healing powers, as once they were in the brain their healing slime wouldn't be able to reach the rest of the body.

Furbags01
Gedd

Post by Furbags01 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:51 pm

I think she picked the ear cause it would be kinda gross going in anywhere. And being a kid, the ear would seem the likely choice. I never thought about them having to puncture the eardrum to get to the brain.

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:45 am

Teacup Pig wrote:The more I read of this thread the more I think it would be possible for a yeerk to get past the eardrum. If it is capable of stretching itself out to cover the whole brain then it can stretch thin enough to get through a small hole in the eardrum membrane. A perforated eardrum can be painful and affect hearing but a small enough hole might allow the drum to still vibrate normally. And you've already talked about the process being painful and the yeerk using aneasthetic. The yeerk could also exude something to heal or seal the damage afterwards, this sort of thing is commonly evolved by parasites and biting animals. Of course the yeerks shouldn't have had time to evolve slime that does this to humans but maybe we're assuming that humans have similar physiology to the aliens. They do seem to have DNA similar enough that andalites and animorphs can morph all the aliens they come in contact with.
That is possibly the most sensible answer so far and probably a good enough reason to abandon this thread before our minds melt.
Furbags01 wrote:I think she picked the ear cause it would be kinda gross going in anywhere. And being a kid, the ear would seem the likely choice. I never thought about them having to puncture the eardrum to get to the brain.
It seemed pretty sensible to me too, actually. ;)
Last edited by TF. on Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination

Post by Current » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Formatting tip: If you don't put people's names in quotes when quoting them ( [quote="Username"] ) the tags won't work.
What is not the answer to this question?

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master

Post by TF. » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:36 pm

*feels like an idiot*
Image Image Image Image

ScrewDestiny
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by ScrewDestiny » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:41 pm

When I was reading, I didn't think too much about it. Also, I knew if I focused too much upon it it would spoil a perfectly good series. Now I think about it, the only reason I would really accept would be that the Yeerks are each a hive mind controlling the cells of their own body. Then they could separate their cells and push in between the individual cells of the ear. It would also explain the control over the brain they receive, as a hive mind could assert control over the cells of the brain that they encountered.

Also, I think Jake got taken control of by a Yeerk, and I don't remember the description of the takeover involving the sort of pain that a pierced eardrum would likely cause, regardless of the size of the hole.

Sassy_Cat
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Sassy_Cat » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:23 am

It's better than going up the nose, so I guess that's what K.A was thinking.
"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."
- Ray Bradbury

My amazing blog- http://yasreadyas.blogspot.com/

alloran24
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by alloran24 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:36 pm

I think this is one thing that a kid wouldn't typically ask about - they just accept that an ear drum can be pushed aside. I think I also had a different perception of how large Yeerks were when I was first reading the series. My guess is they're a lot smaller than first guessed, which would lend it to be able to flatten and move between the eardrum and the ear canal, possibly.

Mufasa
Gedd

Post by Mufasa » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:05 am

it could be cause they know that we breathe through our noses so they don't want to potentially kill the person they're about to "inhabit". and as for the ear drum, since they're slugs, i wouldn't imagine them doing too much much damage, the ear drum is bone after all