Ear drums

Discussions regarding the Animorphs books
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
potatogirl
Aristh
Aristh
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Ear drums

Post by potatogirl » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:14 am

I admit, biology was never my strong point (or any of the sciences for that matter) but something that's been bugging me since I read the visser chronicals: how does the Yeerk deal with the ear drum? Visser 1 mentions pushing through it when she entered her first human host, but wouldn't the host be deaf in that ear after? I mean, it really would have been handy for the Animorphs if all controllers were deaf in one ear.

Chiron
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Re: Ear drums

Post by Chiron » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:31 pm

That is something that K.A. never really bothers to deal with in the series. You're absolutely right though. Maybe it's just supposed to be a given that they're all damaged goods, but then, I think that when the yeerks reenter the body after yeerk pool visits they don't go in a specific ear so they could potentially deafen (sp?) a lot of host bodies...I personally think that K.A. just doesn't have an intimate relationship with the anatomy of the inner ear and since the books were aimed for 4th graders....I doubt she cared to find a way around it.
"'Ram the Blade Ship'?!" *throws book in rage*

potatogirl
Aristh
Aristh

Post by potatogirl » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:19 pm

A KASU, then? Just as long as it's KA screwing up, and not me being ignorant, my ego can handle it :D

Ellimist
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by Ellimist » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:37 pm

It's definitely a KASU. Although it seems totally absurd that the Yeerks can enter into the brain through the ear, without penetrating the ear drum. :roll:
Powered by chocolate and Dvorak

Snoopy
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by Snoopy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:45 pm

I agree… entering through the ear does seem a little far fetched. There’s no way anything could get to the brain without seriously damaging the internal structures of the ear.

As far as humans go, I would think the best way to enter the brain would be through the nose. (Yes, I know it's disgusting…) But think about it. There’s no really important organs in the way, just a little bit of bone between the nasal cavity and the brain. Of course, if this were the case then it would be physically impossible for a Yeerk to infest an Andalite…

If you experience any problems, please do not hesitate to PM or email me.

potatogirl
Aristh
Aristh

Post by potatogirl » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:30 am

Snoopy wrote: As far as humans go, I would think the best way to enter the brain would be through the nose. (Yes, I know disgusting…) But think about it. There’s no really important organs in the way, just a little bit of bone between the nasal cavity and the brain. Of course, if this were the case then it would be physically impossible for a Yeerk to infest an Andalite…
I think that would be awesome if Yeerks infested through the nose.

'I think I see a controller! She's continually rubbing her nose...'

'Um... I think she's just a coke addict.'

'Oh. Well then.'

But that interests me: why can't the Yeerks enter through orficies other than the ear? I'm sure there are some species around the universe that have large enough nostrils and nasal passages to acomplish that. Hm. Hmmm....

katie310117
NBA-Sized Gay Burglar Who Works With a Dog
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by katie310117 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:23 pm

potatogirl wrote:why can't the Yeerks enter through orficies other than the ear? I'm sure there are some species around the universe that have large enough nostrils and nasal passages to acomplish that. Hm. Hmmm....
They probably can. I bet they just don't spread it around. I mean, what if there was some species that had all its orifices on its head? As a yeerk, I would just be too embarrassed to admit crawling in through some *ahem* less savory holes to reach the brain. :lol:

potatogirl
Aristh
Aristh

Post by potatogirl » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:44 pm

:D That hillarious, because I actually thought that as well after I posted. What if Vsser ONe and her first Yeerk homeboy had tried some other orifices? The invasion of earth would have taken a LOT long.

katie310117
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by katie310117 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:05 am

potatogirl wrote::D That hillarious, because I actually thought that as well after I posted. What if Vsser ONe and her first Yeerk homeboy had tried some other orifices? The invasion of earth would have taken a LOT long.
Bow chicka wow wow!

Luna May
GPC Tamer
GPC Tamer
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by Luna May » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:07 am

LOL :lol:

Avv © Culpeo-Fox

*hi fives Blu*

Isn't quite sure how I feel about anything at the moment.