Why Did the Yeerks Lose the War?

Discussions regarding the Animorphs books
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Re: [T] Why Did the Yeerks Lose the War?

Post by The_Brigadier » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:06 pm

Well, we all knew that the former reason was the cause of their loss, but I am confused with the latter reason.

Even though they were slugs, they had an incredible power. They were as strong and sometimes stronger than those they enslaved.
Last edited by The_Brigadier on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
♫When playin' Jazz you always has a welcome mat, cuz everybody digs a swingin' kat!♫

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by capnnerefir » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:19 pm

Sassy_Cat wrote:I, honestly, think the yeerks lost because it wouldn't fly with the publisher if the bad guys won.
Of course, as this is an in-universe discussion, that's not exactly a valid point.

Sassy_Cat
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Sassy_Cat » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:30 pm

My actual answer was after that, though.
"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."
- Ray Bradbury

My amazing blog- http://yasreadyas.blogspot.com/

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:05 pm

<...and here all this time I thought they lost because when a Yeerk has children, the parent Yeerks have to die, and therefore can't pass on their knowledge on to the next gen.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

Sassy_Cat
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Why Did the Yeerks Lose the War?

Post by Sassy_Cat » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Oh, well, that would probaly pose a threat too, but they got so far, I guess.
"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."
- Ray Bradbury

My amazing blog- http://yasreadyas.blogspot.com/

SamilinCorrathGahar
Ruler of Everything
Ruler of Everything
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by SamilinCorrathGahar » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:55 pm

<Wait. So when a Yeerk has kids they die?>
<I can see why you wouldn't want to have kids then.>
<Yes, it is I, Captain Samilin-Corrath-Gahar of the Andalite ship Ascalin, and ruler of everything .>

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Current » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:11 pm

Yeerks haven't gone extinct, so presumably their biological imperative to reproduce overrides their survival instinct.

When you think about it, biology really hates the Yeerks. They are sapient, but sensory-deprived in its natural form, which causes them no end of suffering. Their only natural weapon (and way to avoid the sensory deprivation) is to enslave hosts, but they can't feed while inside their hosts. They can feel their hosts' mental anguish, so Yeerks that are actually compassionate are at a huge disadvantage. They can't reproduce and survive, so all Yeerks with a strong enough preservation instinct or capable of overriding their natural impulses leave no children. No wonder most of the Yeerks are evil.
What is not the answer to this question?

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:36 pm

Current wrote:Yeerks haven't gone extinct, so presumably their biological imperative to reproduce overrides their survival instinct.

When you think about it, biology really hates the Yeerks. They are sapient, but sensory-deprived in its natural form, which causes them no end of suffering. Their only natural weapon (and way to avoid the sensory deprivation) is to enslave hosts, but they can't feed while inside their hosts. They can feel their hosts' mental anguish, so Yeerks that are actually compassionate are at a huge disadvantage. They can't reproduce and survive, so all Yeerks with a strong enough preservation instinct or capable of overriding their natural impulses leave no children. No wonder most of the Yeerks are evil.
There are a few similar cases on Earth. The Yeerks' messed up situation seems sort of like a sentient extension of their messed-up-ness.
Image Image Image Image

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Current » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:24 am

The really creepy part would be if Yeerks needed hosts to complete their reproductive cycle, like most parasites.
What is not the answer to this question?

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:22 pm

Current wrote:The really creepy part would be if Yeerks needed hosts to complete their reproductive cycle, like most parasites.
Edriss 562 came pretty close. :thinking:
Image Image Image Image