Why Did the Yeerks Lose the War?

Discussions regarding the Animorphs books
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Why Did the Yeerks Lose the War?

Post by capnnerefir » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:16 am

This Topic was once a Topic of the Week. See here for more information.

As we all know, the Yeerks lost the war in the end. The real question is why? Was it just that six kids somehow managed to singlehandedly defeat the Yeerk Empire? Or was it due to meddling by the Ellimist and Crayak? Or perhaps it was because of internal struggles? Poor leadership? Their significant military losses during the ending phases of the war (such as in the campaigns for Leera and Anati)? Was it the superiority of Andalite technology that brought about their downfall? Or could it be something as intangible as the human spirit?

Why do you think the Yeerks lost?

The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Re: [T] Why Did the Yeerks Lose the War?

Post by The_Brigadier » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:32 pm

I pin most of the blame on Visser One.

She was the one who was in charge of the Earth Invasion but she chose to concentrate the Yeerk infestations to ONE location. A location that the "Andalite Bandits" countinously infiltrated and wrecked.

A second reason why it's VIsser One's fault that Yeerks lost was bacause she didn't order a full on attack of Earth. The Yeerks, with their superior technology and abilites, could've overrun Earth in about a week at most.

But wait a minute: if Yeerks engage humans into an all out war, wouldn't we just kill ourselves in a nuclear holocaust or through lethal germs? Guess again! All the Yeerks would have to do is infest all world leaders and generals with nuclear weapons and force them to disengage the war heads. Along with nuclear capable leaders, Visser One could've ordered several Yeerks to infest the scientists working on biological warfare and made them destroy the viruses, rendering us incapable of comitting mass suicide.

Now hang on! Even if she did order the infestation of those dangerous individuals, wouldn't that take too much time, planning, and effort? Not really. All you have to do is get the head haunchos in charge of those weapons and fix the problem in about a month if the Yeerks didn't feel like rushing the plan.

The third and most important reason why it's Visser One's fault that the Yeerks was because of Marco. She knew who he was, she knew where he lived, she knew how to reach him, and most importantly, she knew that he was an "Andalite Bandit". And what did she do with that information?

Nothing.

She could've infested Marco and gained all of his knowledge and the ability to morph. She could've found the Cube herself and presented it and the Animorphs to the Emperor. If she had done that, she would've gotten Earth, the "Andalite Bandits", the ability to morph, a way to decimate the Andalites, and the title of Emperor herself.

All she had to do was get Marco. I don't know why she didn't. Perhaps she loved him, or maybe she wanted a bargaining chip with the Animorphs: their secrecy for her safety, or maybe she just wanted to be an a****** to Visser Three. I don't know and I may never know.

And that my friends is why the Yeerks lost the war.
♫When playin' Jazz you always has a welcome mat, cuz everybody digs a swingin' kat!♫

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:41 pm

AlbinoBlackSheep wrote:All the Yeerks would have to do is infest all world leaders and generals with nuclear weapons and force them to disengage the war heads.
This point of the plan is much easier said than done. While the idea is good, it fails to consider one thing: the dreaded RED TAPE. Ordinarily, this is what we blame when something that should be simple can't get done. If you've ever interacted with a company of any size (or the government), you've probably run into this. Here's an example from my real life.

I moved to a new apartment. My employer still had my old address on file. So my pay check was sent to my old address. I tell my boss. But he can't just write me a check or something. No, he has to go to our accounting department and report it. They have to call the accounting company that handles this sort of thing. To do that, they have to get the owners of our company to approve it. So they have to schedule a meeting with the owners. Before they could do that, the owners had to confirm that what I said was true and that I did not get paid yet. So they had to have the accounting department call the accounting company call the bank to make sure I hadn't deposited the check yet. Before the bank can answer them, they had to call me to make sure it was okay for them to tell the accounting company that. So I tell the bank to tell the accounting company to tell the accounting department to tell the owners that I didn't deposit a check because I hadn't gotten one yet. So the accounting company tells the accounting department, who tells the owners. They then allow the accounting department to call the accounting company to tell them to write me a new check. The accounting company does so and mails it to me.

At my old address. Yeah, that's right. Somehow, in all of that, no one made sure they had the right address. So we got to do it all again. By that point, I was owed another check, which also didn't get here. So we had to do it double.

And this is just one guy trying to get a missing pay check.

For the leader of a country to disarm all of a country's warheads, the sea of red tape would be enormous. In America, you'd have objections from the Senate, objections from the military, objections from the House, objections from local officials, and massive protests. It would probably take years for such an order to get passed through Congress. And even more for it to actually be carried out. And you can guarantee that the military would drag its feet on taking apart its most powerful weapons, particularly when we can't be certain that less friendly nations are actually doing the same. By the time anything got started, there'd be a new President, and depending on how deeply rooted the Yeerks were, a whole new shenanigan. As we've seen with Obama, even if you've got the President and a majority in the Congress, it can still be impossible to get anything done.

Not impossible, certainly. Obviously, things get done eventually. But it would be far more difficult then, say, unleashing some sort of techno-weapon that would just disarm all of Earth's nuclear warheads, or even detonate them at once. While it would destroy the surrounding areas, most of Earth's population would probably be fine.

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:43 am

While the competition of the Vissers was certainly a major factor (I mean, things would have ended right in book 5 if Visser One hadn't let everyone go just to make Visser Three look bad), I think it is also a mistake to ignore some of the Yeerk's other major defeats.

Let's take a look back on Hork-bajir for a minute.
Spoiler:
While it is not explicitly stated, it's a pretty safe bet that the Hork-bajir used to be a Class Five species. That is, they were strong, had useful bodies, were technologically inferior, and when the Andalites arrive to help, Aldrea says that the Yeerks have infested 40,000 Hork-bajir already. While we never know the exact size of the Yeerk or Andalite militaries, we do know that the Andalites are always outnumbered, and that the Yeerks would need to build many more pools (and even breed more Yeerks) to fill all 6 billion humans on Earth. So it seems that the Hork-bajir had considerable numbers. Then the Andalites killed a whole bunch of them. First with the fighting, then with the Quantum virus. Even if that only killed half of the Hork-bajir population, we're talking being out 20,000 Hork-bajir, minimum. That's a major hurt.
Then, there was Leera.
Spoiler:
While again we do not know the exact numbers, we do know that Leera was considered a major engagement, and the Yeerks fielded 'Four Pool ships, two Blade ships, and hundreds of Bug fighters.' Almost all of which were destroyed when Galuit blew up Leera's continent.
Next, Anati.
Spoiler:
While we don't know what went on here, we know that the Yeerks were heavily invested in it. To the point where they decided that winning it was worth letting Visser One live even after they knew she knowingly and willingly reproduced with a human. They were also expecting - hoping, in fact - to fight off 30 Dome ships. That's a MASSIVE party right there. And when Visser One didn't win, they turned her over to Visser Three for the killing.
And finally we come to Earth. Over all, a relatively minor engagement. One Pool ship, one Blade ship, a handful of Bug fighters, and a couple thousand Hork-bajir, Taxxons, and Human-Controllers. While that's certainly a tough nut for six kids to crack, it's nothing like 40,000 Hork-bajir and 5 Pool ships might be. Earth was more of a morale victory than anything else. After all, Visser Three was feared throughout the Empire. He was a war hero! Aaaand he got beat up by one Andalite, four savages, and a bird. That's just humiliating. And on top of the recent defeat at the Anati world, it's crippling.

While I believe the infighting of the Vissers contributed to those defeats, I think it was the resulting military and morale losses that caused the Yeerks to lose in the end.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:04 am

<First of all, let me say this, if you have not read very far into the Animorph books and you hate spoilers, please leave.>
<We are talking about why the books ended the way that they did, that means that we will someday get to the point where we talk about EVERY BOOK in the series.>
<If you don't want us spoiling them, then you need to leave right now and go look at one of the many other topics that are available.>
<That being said, the Yeerks could have won very early one.>
<In book #1 there is a cop who takes Cassie down into the Yeerk pool. I think that a big operation like the Sharing, one that has been around sense the 60s and 70s would have some kind of ID system.>
<Whenever a new host is found, especially an involuntary host, the Yeerks should take their pictograph, scan their fingerprints and fill out a profile of all known facts about the person.>
<Then any hosts that got away could be recaptured because they would know everything about them.>
<The cops that are hosts could say the person had killed someone, such as Visser 3's latest victim, and have all the cops in the country help track them down.>
<As for the David trilogy, part of the story is that the world leaders are being infested, what if the Sharing branched out (the number 1 thing that they should have done) and put branches in ever major city in the country, then the world.>
<What do you think would happen if every golf course in the USA was run by Yeerks?>
<Golf is played by many people, many of them rich or powerful in some way.>
<Doctors, lawyers, senators, now what if whenever someone played golf at this course they had to sign in, and if they were not a member of the Sharing their caddies would pull out a weapon and stun the players, then pull out a jar with a Yeerk in it and infest them right there.>
<Just by doing this the Sharing would soon have some of the most famous names in the world as members, and those people would go to Sharing parties and bring their guests into the back room, where they could join.>
<Did you see Jeremy Jason McCole's newest movie? By the time the movie opened all of the cast and crew had joined the Sharing, then the lead actress Britney Jessica Nicole was in a film that opened a year latter and by the time that movie opened the entire cast and crew had joined the Sharing.>
<Here is a game for you, make a list of actors, then go to the "Order of Bacon" website, see how few movies it takes for each actor to be linked with another actor.>
<Even if you only take movies made after Animorphs #17 came out I am sure you can find all of the big named actors have been in some movies together.>
<If Jonathan Taylor Thomas had been a host in October 1997, when book 17 came out, and if he had infested every member of the cast and crew of every movie he has been in after that date, and each of them infested all the cast and crew of every movie that they have been in, how long until every actor in Hollywood had been infested?>
<How long until the owner of the most popular club in Hollywood was infested?>
<What if everyone who went to that club was infested?>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by The_Brigadier » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:39 pm

??? Wait, so why did the Yeerks lose?

Was it because they didn't go for the powerful humans? Or because they didn't have a hosts on file?
I'm confused.
♫When playin' Jazz you always has a welcome mat, cuz everybody digs a swingin' kat!♫

Nykesutre
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Nykesutre » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:10 pm

I think it was more because the Animorphs could stop the Yeerks before they could infest the celebrities/promote The Sharing and sometimes thwarted the Sharing members 'attempts' to recruit more Controllers like in say, The Proposal where
Spoiler:
Marco disguised as a Poodle morph and stopped that Controller celebrity from broadcasting on local TV
and the Yeerks tried to go through government in David triology, but the Animorphs were already there.

PS: What's the Order of Bacon website?
<Passions and emotions set off the reaction. You must try to eliminate the emotions.>

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Current » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:03 pm

That brings to mind one other thing. The Yeerks have hundreds of thousands of soldiers on Earth, and pretty much the only group that ever gets in the way is the "Andalite bandits", which only ever field 6 people at once, max. At some point, someone could have considered launching two or more nefarious plots at the same time, thus virtually guaranteeing all but one of them will succeed.

Of course, that would be admitting that 6 Andalites are actually a threat, so nobody would ever suggest it to Visser 3, which really goes back to his terrible leadership.

Oracle of Bacon can be found here.
What is not the answer to this question?

BeyondtheEllimist
Warrior
Warrior
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by BeyondtheEllimist » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:53 am

Well, I believe it was a combination of all the factors mentioned so far. No singular thing was responsible, but it was the cumulative effect of all these factors that broke the Yeerks' metaphorical back.
There is much that is beyond the Ellimist . . . he just won't admit it.
Check out my fanfic series, Novamorphs. It has the Animorphs' children fighting a second Yeerk invasion. First book: The Infestation.Second book: The Search.

Sassy_Cat
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Sassy_Cat » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:47 pm

I, honestly, think the yeerks lost because it wouldn't fly with the publisher if the bad guys won.

That, and the fact that the yeerks are lowly slugs, and they had been weakened already. They had not a chance.
"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."
- Ray Bradbury

My amazing blog- http://yasreadyas.blogspot.com/