Yeerk Defeat? No way!

Discussions regarding the Animorphs books
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Gumby
Civilian

Yeerk Defeat? No way!

Post by Gumby » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:59 am

Now, I've been thinking about the Yeerk defeat in the end of book fifty four, and I think it's a tub of horse waste. Let's analyze the Yeerks tactical situation, shall we?

Throughout the books, the Andalites keep saying that they are being outgunned by the Yeerks, they say they're always outnumbered, undermanned, outgunned etc. We see both the Taxxon and Hork Bajir worlds, and both are obviously massive fortresses, centers of Yeerkish naval and basic military might. Now in book fifty four, several Andalite dome ships appear. In the end, one Blade Ship and a few morph-capable Yeerks go rogue and flee while a Pool ship is disabled and handed over to the Andalites. The Yeerks also loose probably over twenty thousand Yeerks and host bodies, plus several dozen other smaller transports and fighters including several Sub-vissers and a high General, Visser One. All-in-all the Yeerks lost a decent-sized task force, and then they just loose the whole war?

Wait, wait, wait. Back up. Where did all the other ships go? The hundreds of millions of deadly host bodies armed with Dracon beams, the dozens of capital ships, Pool ships and Blade ships of which the Yeerks had many in number. They lose one battle and a task force, and they lose the whole war? No, no, no! Unless the entire council of Thirteen and the Emperor were also destroyed at Earth, I honestly don't believe that kind of thing would happen. In comparison, the bombing of the US Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor was far more devastation than the Yeerks experienced. The US lost some of the biggest guns in their Fleet plus hundreds of planes. the Yeerks lost two ships and a little over twenty thousand personal, which the Yeerks would clearly consider replaceable.

So I personally believe the Yeerks would not have lost the war. Earth was a mere setback, a battle lost in not a war lost. Far from it, the Yeerks should still be a major and deadly threat to the Andalites and Humans.

What do you all think?
"If God wanted us to be concerned for the plight of toads, he would have made them cute and fluffy."

-Dave Barry

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: Yeerk Defeat? No way!

Post by capnnerefir » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:37 am

I think you're forgetting some very, VERY important things. Namely that throught the books, we see several HUGE Yeerk defeats.

1.) Leera. There was a MASSIVE Yeerk force invading that planet, and most of it was destroyed when the Animorphs blew up the continent. That's a huge loss to the Yeerks.

2.) The Anati incident. We know, from Visser, that the Yeerks were attacking the Anati race. They knew that the Andalites were going to send an enormous fleet to defend either Earth or the Anati (I believe 30 Dome ships was the number). The Yeerks sent Visser One to take care of that - and she failed so horribly that they decided to kill her painfully. Now, the most Dome ships we see is two or three at a time - so we can reasonably assume that 30 is ungodly powerful. And since the Yeerks were planning on actually fighting that out, we can also assume that they sent as many ships as they could muster to the fight. The battle for the Anati world was probably the biggest battle of the entire war. And the Yeekrs lost big time.

So now, we have the Yeerks who have suffered some enormous losses; probably bigger losses than they have suffered in the entire war. And then, on top of that, they lose the battle for Earth, too - which is one they were very invested in, since conquering Earth would give them all the hosts they needed. Not only was it a big military loss, you have to understand the impact this would have on Yeerk morale. Not only did they lose what was probably their last hope (after losing enormous numbers of their soldiers and ships), they lost to an army of 6. It's no wonder they didn't want to go on fighting after that.

Gumby
Civilian

Post by Gumby » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:01 am

True, but we do not fully know the outcome of the Anati incident, and the Leeran fight only a Yeerk ground force was lost, there was still a vast fleet in orbit, and that was the more dangerous of the two.
"If God wanted us to be concerned for the plight of toads, he would have made them cute and fluffy."

-Dave Barry

LisaCharly
Aristh
Aristh
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by LisaCharly » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:24 am

Also, the Animorphs had shown the Yeerks another way via the morph cube. The Yeerks seemed willing to fight for hosts because it was the only solution, but after the Escafil device was introduced, many Yeerks might not want to go on taking unwilling hosts when there is an alternative.

Wild Cowboy
Warrior
Warrior
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by Wild Cowboy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:12 pm

<You also have got to understand that Yeerks are greedy, self centered jerks, and as soon as the risk out weighs the possable rewards they go running.>
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30)

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:26 pm

I like Gumby's observation. That said, *lose. :) Also, it is pointed out that the Council and the others are back on the Yeerk home planet (or somewhere like that) and they're blockaded down. They might still have an empire but most of their ships and so on have been blown off with the Anati, Leera and Earth conflicts. Then again, that makes the Animorphs' story a lot less significant. They saved the world but the war was still won by the Andalites- which makes them seem like less of a bunch of prats than the commander in #54.
Image Image Image Image

Trip3
Gedd

Post by Trip3 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:30 pm

Yeah, the cube is probably a really important matter. Why go around killing and enslaving entire worlds when you can accomplish the same thing with no casualties in just two hours? Regardless of their military power, the fact is that they have no reason to use it anymore.

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:19 pm

That was Cassie's big idea, from #50 and 52. And it had the potential to end the war once and for all, no grumpy Yeerks blockaded on their home planet and no roaming Blade Ship.
Image Image Image Image

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:05 pm

<It should be noted that no matter how the last book ended there were going to be some of us that didn't like it.>
<Even now the USA has troops all over the world still cleaning up the mess from wars that most of us have forgotten about.>
<The same would hold true for the Yeerk war.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

freded21
War-Prince
War-Prince
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by freded21 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:10 pm

Gumby wrote:True, but we do not fully know the outcome of the Anati incident, and the Leeran fight only a Yeerk ground force was lost, there was still a vast fleet in orbit, and that was the more dangerous of the two.

Well the Yeerks at the very least didn't win at Anati and they probaly lost a very large portion of their entire fleet. They were planing on taking on 30 dome ships so they definatly had some firepower to destroy the Dome Ships.

Also, on Leera the Yeerk forces landed on the continent. Probaly all of them except a small guard of mabey a few Blade Ships and a Pool Ship.

The Yeerks also invested large amounts of their population in the pool on Earth that that the 'morphs blew up. Remember there were more humans on Earth than there were Yeerks in the entire galaxy, not including the Yeerk homeworld. I remember Vissser 3 saying that would need to build 50 pools just to house half the Yeerks needed to enslave every human.

The Yeerks loss on Earth mixed with what probaly happened on Anati probaly took out the majority of ships and Yeerks in the entire galaxy, not to mention what happend on Leera.
I <3 the Animorphs

I just had a AFF moment. My friends and I were talking about people who use others and I say:
"yeah it's like when someone only makes 5 posts then leaves and never comes back."
No one knew what I was talking about...