KASUs

Discussions regarding the Animorphs books
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Sassy_Cat
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: KASUs

Post by Sassy_Cat » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:37 pm

BabelFish42 wrote:
Sassy_Cat wrote:
Visser 5 wrote:Under-Vissers, Sub-Vissers, and Vissers?
Now we really do need Yeerk ranks.
Ahem.

Normal yeerk-y slug thing (No host. There are some that don't even get a rank because they're so low down there.)
|Gedd (They get a host, sure, but it sucks.)
|Taxxon (Better than a Gedd, worse than, say, a human)
| Hork-Bajir
(| Means scout.)
/ Taxxon
/ Human
/ Hork-Bajir
(/ means warrior)
"Human
"Taxxon
(" is a pilot)
Under-visser
Sub-visser
Visser

There. That's my guess. Don't ask why I used the symbols.
It took me a sec to figure out your system. At first I thought you were just talking in a funny voice: "I means this. I likes Animorphs. I thinks cats are cool." lol

Are humans really warriors, though? Thought we kinda sucked at that. Though sometimes they did put humans on guard duty and stuff, I guess. And pilots? I thought they were all Taxxons?
:P
Well, they are used in battles, aren't they? I figured that qualified them as warriors.
I think in the Andalite Chronicles there was a ship piloted by a Horkie, so I guessed that there was a few pilot-Bajir left.
"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."
- Ray Bradbury

My amazing blog- http://yasreadyas.blogspot.com/

BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by BabelFish42 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:01 pm

True. And in HB Chronicles, there are definitely some Hork Bajir piloting ships, so yeah, you're right.

As for humans as warriors... hmmm, I guess. Human armed with Dracon beams are actually dangerous, so that makes sense.
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

Menno
Prince
Prince
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Menno » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:38 am

And human hosts are probably going to be used for just about everything, if only because there are so many of them. Class-five species.

I found another probable KASU in #8: On p126 and p127, it seems like it's still some big mystery how Ax knew the Yeerks would kill hosts of starved Yeerks, and whether it's happened before on some other planet. But he already told Jake on p57.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:14 am

BabelFish42 wrote:I don't think the Hork-Bajir knew that date translated to March 1966. I think that was just the author telling us. Or possibly Tobias working backwards and guessing at a date.

But yeah, I don't think that's a KASU.
<Yes it is just the author telling us, I did not mean to say otherwise.>
<My point was that if your time keeping skills only exstend to "early day", "mid day", "late day", and "night time" for times of day, and the times of year only go to "early warm", "mid warm", "late warm", "early cold", "mid cold", "late cold", then you aren't likely to have words like "century", or any other words for longer periods of time.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

seafoamgreen
Gedd

Post by seafoamgreen » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:03 pm

Not sure if this is a KASU, but here is something minor that I noticed... I skipped over the Chronicles books in the past and am just starting to read them now. From Elfangor's narration early on in the Andalite Chronicles, it seems that nodding is a gesture that Andalites are familiar with, and with the same uses/meanings as for humans.
  • The Andalite Chronicles, Chapter 3, page 18: Elfangor narrates, "I thought I'd said it silently till I noticed Arbron nodding in agreement."
    The Andalite Chronicles, Chapter 9, page 61: "I turned one eye toward Alloran. He nodded slightly, giving me permission."
    The Andalite Chronicles, Chapter 11, page 73: "I nodded. <Yes, Prince Alloran. I'll take the helm.>"
But Ax claims to have learned the gesture from humans.
  • #46 The Deception, toward the end of Chapter 2: "I nodded. Another human gesture I have acquired."
(I have a feeling that Ax may have made similar statements in other books, but I haven't read other Ax books lately, so I can't say for sure.)

Did anyone else notice this? What do you think?

------EDIT------
Actually, now that I am further into the Andalite Chronicles, I noticed that even Elfangor talks about nodding as an unfamiliar gesture.
  • Chapter 29, page 196: "Loren nodded her head. I wondered what this meant. But she didn't ask me to stop, so I went on."
    And in Chapter 37, page 248, there was also this (not nodding, but related): "She shook her head. It's something humans do to answer no."

BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by BabelFish42 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:17 pm

seafoamgreen wrote:Not sure if this is a KASU, but here is something minor that I noticed... I skipped over the Chronicles books in the past and am just starting to read them now. From Elfangor's narration early on in the Andalite Chronicles, it seems that nodding is a gesture that Andalites are familiar with, and with the same uses/meanings as for humans.
  • The Andalite Chronicles, Chapter 3, page 18: Elfangor narrates, "I thought I'd said it silently till I noticed Arbron nodding in agreement."
    The Andalite Chronicles, Chapter 9, page 61: "I turned one eye toward Alloran. He nodded slightly, giving me permission."
    The Andalite Chronicles, Chapter 11, page 73: "I nodded. <Yes, Prince Alloran. I'll take the helm.>"
But Ax claims to have learned the gesture from humans.
  • #46 The Deception, toward the end of Chapter 2: "I nodded. Another human gesture I have acquired."
(I have a feeling that Ax may have made similar statements in other books, but I haven't read other Ax books lately, so I can't say for sure.)

Did anyone else notice this? What do you think?

------EDIT------
Actually, now that I am further into the Andalite Chronicles, I noticed that even Elfangor talks about nodding as an unfamiliar gesture.
  • Chapter 29, page 196: "Loren nodded her head. I wondered what this meant. But she didn't ask me to stop, so I went on."
    And in Chapter 37, page 248, there was also this (not nodding, but related): "She shook her head. It's something humans do to answer no."
Yep. I think that qualifies as a legitimate KASU. Good catch.

My head cannon will always be that it's only a human gesture. (Why would Andalites have developed an identical gesture that means the same thing?) There's another part somewhere in the main series that mentions Ax nodding his head, and says that nodding is one of his "favorite adopted human gestures". (Don't ask me why I remember this. I just do.)
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

BSerAkafanofblake
Admiral
Admiral

Post by BSerAkafanofblake » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:19 pm

when Marco goes into shock in 25 no one says "hey that's not normal" when he says
Spoiler:
I need to sleep now

Sassy_Cat
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Sassy_Cat » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:08 pm

Maybe they didn't realize there was any problem with him sleeping when in shock? (Sad, 'cpecially with the Chosen one on their team.
"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."
- Ray Bradbury

My amazing blog- http://yasreadyas.blogspot.com/

yoshi45
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by yoshi45 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:51 am

Not sure if this is a screw up, probably more of a plot hole, but-How did aftran manage to voluntarily give up Karen at the Yeerk pool without anyone else noticing? Surely the other controllers noticed there was an uninfested host just hanging around, right?

BSerAkafanofblake
Admiral
Admiral

Post by BSerAkafanofblake » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:41 pm

Sassy_Cat wrote:Maybe they didn't realize there was any problem with him sleeping when in shock? (Sad, 'cpecially with the Chosen one on their team.
Like the hp humor.