What is so special about Book 51?

Discussions regarding the Animorphs books
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: What is so special about Book 51?

Post by Elfangor » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:51 pm

$62? that is insane!
You all have guns
And you never put the safety on
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

David Levin
Civilian

Post by David Levin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:05 pm

I don't mean to gloat, but I figured something like this would happen, especially with the amount of shelf space the books take up, even having just one copy of each in a small store, so even I bought the entire series. Every book, and I accidentally bought 2 of #38 because I lost it for a while. Now I kinda wish I had bought more than one copy so I could make some money off them lol.
And remember, I'm pulling for ya, we're all in this together.

Visser Pi
War-Prince
War-Prince
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by Visser Pi » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:43 pm

Elfangor wrote:$62? that is insane!
Exactly what I thought.
Animorphs: Best to most Annoying
Marco
Jake
Tobias
Ax
James
Timmy
Cassie
The Blind Girl
David
Rachel

Rachel sucks. There, I said it.

Best book- The Android
Worst book- The Separation

Ahsan11
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Ahsan11 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:10 am

The thing that's speacial of book #51 (The Absolute) is that the animorphs are badly stuck & that they have to make 2 choices.............. to approach the governor but they don't know if she's a controller or not. If she is,they're walking into enemy hands----If she isn't, They're going public with their secret.......

zyxyellowxyz
Aristh
Aristh

Post by zyxyellowxyz » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:43 am

Ya, there is the plot, but does that justify the cost being so ridiculously high?
You can call me yellow or SuzyQ, neither is my real name, but its close enough for the web.

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee

Post by Elfangor » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:20 pm

The plot by no way justifies the cost.
You all have guns
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

Atlas
Delta
Delta
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Atlas » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:27 pm

i got 54 for $12
THIS. IS. PANZERFREEMAN! *kicks into pit*

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee

Post by Elfangor » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:43 pm

I got 54 for $6 which is $3 American.
You all have guns
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

TobiasSkywalker
Gedd

Post by TobiasSkywalker » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:25 am

I've been buying back the series, one-piece-at-a-timing it, "and it didn't cost me a dime...."...(no loljk).

I'm not one of the ones that quit halfway through. I got more into Animorphs over time because I was expecting Animorphs to finish before Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I wasn't even fully aware of what it would actually mean for it to be over, but I wanted to see the bad guys beaten, and I'd realized Power Rangers was selling too many toys. Zordon wasn't dead yet.

....Anyway....

So here's the deal: Amazon is not what they call ''an efficient marketplace''. You can find Visser and Andalite Chronicles for $500 if you really want to be overcharged. But that doesn't mean you have to pay that much.

I check Ebay, Amazon, Thriftbooks, Abebooks, Google, Bing, and any where I can. I'm not the Library of Congress or the NSA, I don't know where all the copies are. But I'm DEVOTED to this series. I lost some copies, multiple times, during their heyday, and stuck through to the end collecting them all. Did anyone get their collection wiped out by their parents as a punishment? I lost half of mine once that way. But I got at least one first edition copy of every single book once. I have no idea what happened to some of the later ones, because I'd gotten out of the doghouse, but I still woke up to find my collection incomplete. Plenty of them got damaged.

I'm telling you all, Animorphs IS the next Magic: the Gathering. The next Comic Books. It's going to be insane. I have zero idea whether the TV series is going to be taken back up, or if we'll get a movie-- either there will be a super surge of new stuff one day too, or there won't be. But Animorphs is crazy insane special, and the Internet is about to really DISCOVER it. The new Dark! Power Rangers movie is going to set everyone on alert for looking for stuff like that. What will they find? ANIMORPHS.

Anyway-- as I said, I've been searching for these, sparing no expense truly, but trying to get the best deal still.

Hork Bajir Chronicles, hardcover, perfect condition, signed: $13? WOW that was a red-letter day! x.x

Lots of half-dozen to 12 or 15 books at a time? $2-3 per book avg.

#10 with the stickers in it? $10.

Visser? $4

They're findable very close to MSRP up and down the internet, especially EBAY>>>AMAZON. "Price .01 + 3.99 Shipping'' = 4 dollars, so Amazon is usually not cheaper than 2.99 + FREE Shipping on Ebay.

Don't go to the places specializing in books, go to the Internet Places specializing in people trying to find stuff they know is Collectible for as Cheap as Possible.

However.

#51 is......a problem.

I saw it for $15 and didn't nab it. more fool me. If I could find it for less than $20 right now, I'd be happy.
#51 is stupid hard to find. Go ahead and look right now, I'll wait.

The collections push $150, $175, $200....and this is collections without the toys or the games or extra editions/covers....that doesn't really add up with the ability to buy almost the whole series for less than $50 if you try really hard and wait for the good partial lots.

This is *just* like an MTG deck. Most of the books appear to be cheap, but there has to be one that's stupid and overpriced that pushes the Collection up to still be worth MSRP or more, and climbing.

I think the Full Set used to be worth closer to 100. Like 130 maybe.

Anyway, they've been going up nickels and dimes at a time, spread across the whole set, so it hasn't been noticeable...at first... but people are slowly re-collecting too. It'll take a few years to appreciate, but it *is* a good investment, I think. MTG's best card is not, nor will it ever be, worth NEARLY as much as Action Comics #1, so no, I'm not saying this is Early Retirement type news, but.....I do think there's going to be an explosion of 100s of % increase. Doubling, Tripling, until the first editions are going to be worth $10-15 average, and Andalite Chronicles will be worth way more than Visser, and full sets of MM2's alternate covers are going to be a rarity because few will go to that trouble.

The Transformers have some stupid chase figures already.

And, I have applied everything I learned failing at MTG to recognize patterns in the Animorphs Collectibles Market.
You should be snapping up extra copies towards your second full set if you haven't already.
The early editions of #1-8 with non-foil Titles are a thing to note.
I haven't yet looked very hard, but I can't find a new original copy of #5 with the Iron-On.
Lobster #5s in English are going to be big.

Did you know there are hardcover Australian copies of Two-in-One Specials?
And the Box Sets went all the way up to the top? (If you have the 4-book Box Sets in good condition, you have something very very stupid on your hands.)

Anyway, I've been taking the Collector attitude about this to the extreme, and #51 is frustrating me.
I can't find it for less than $30.

I would definitely make the effort to check old and used book stores in brick-and-mortar-world.
Anywhere you think might not be posting on the Internet for whatever reason.

You can still find Black Lotuses that way.
You can definitely still find Animorphs this way.
And I'm telling you, you won't be sorry.

Books also have much more detailed publishing edition information in the beginning. You can tell whether your book came from a Box set or not.

I didn't at first think that one of the thin, low-page count books would be the Chase book. Apparently I was wrong though.
I can find #52-#54 reasonably still, but not #51.

Think about it like the hardcover, in-color reprints of old comic books, compared to the mass black and white collections.

Here's how I rate the Top Value books currently, based on my experiences trying to find:

#-1: Full Collection in Box Set
#0: Stupid Chase Transformers. (Stingray anyone? Taxxon anyone?)

#1: Andalite Chronicles. I predict this one to be the top of the dogpile. It's not Hardcover, but it's ''the Real Silmarillion".
It's Elfangor's Story. It's Elrond's Story. It's the Prequel Trilogy. The plots of the other Chronicles are all great for the enfranchised fan and you might say you like HBC much more for ...all the reasons. But Andalite Chronicles has it where it counts: Page Count.

#2: Hork-Bajir Chronicles but I'm biased. Mayhap even a Megamorphs will be second place, idkn. HBC was early enough in the series that a lot of copies exist though. Ellimist Chronicles I think is somehow common. Ellimist isn't in hardcover, so I think it was printed a lot more because it would be cheap to.

#3: 51 The Absolute. Easily the hardest to find of the paperbacks and numbered.

#4: 10 with Stickers, 5 with Iron Ons, 8 with Bookmarks

#4.5: Other collectibles of Animorphs: Transformers, Calendars, Videogames, etc.

#5: Signed books and Hardcovers

#6: True First Editions (not from Box Set; White Title, etc.)

#7: Masses.

This is only my guesses at this point and I expect things to change as I keep a big eye on things.

But I expect there to be books that don't rise above MSRP....and I expect Animorphs to still be really stupidly collectible as more interest slowly builds up because people just get to keep talking online about it.

If Magic: the Gathering teaches me anything: don't be afraid of reprints, and probably pick up the new versions of #1-8 too. If there's any demand at all, there's never enough supply. People can pretend to do the math all day long, but you can always sell to the right buyer.

Things aren't *yet* in the Crazy Land of hundred-dollar Animorphs books.
But to see people are trying to list for that price at all?
I think we're headed in that direction.

Hold on to your books!

And currently, #51 is really kicking my ass.
Your best bet is to get luckily finding it in a lot and hoping the price/per book sounds fair to you.

If you consider Animorphs Collections like MTG Booster Boxes, then, actually, it might be worth it to pick up a Set for #51, Andalite Chronicles, and MM2 if they have an uncommon color alone. Consider those the ''Foil Mythics".

I also think Animorphs Dealer will take up less space in your house as a Small Business than MTG Dealer. 54 books compared to 10,000 cards. I mean...really...this is still currently a Hobby, not quite a Second Job, but I do think it's really got the makings of being something.

I would get in touch with a librarian and ask about Rare books, and other than that use MTG and Comic Book logic on it. I'm assuming we'll need an expert librarian to track down publishing information and how to appraise conditions because it's Books.

I'm not promising riches *beyond* imagination....but there definitely seems to be profit here.....if they're not dead in 20 years and KA Applegate just posted another interview? Oh yeah. It's real. It's so real.

I think we're 10 years away from a movie. But only 10 or less. Michael Bay has cornered the 80's Childhood market. We're doing the 90's next....

New Power Rangers movie.

The time is RIGHT.

I can feel it.