What is so special about Book 51?

Discussions regarding the Animorphs books
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
zyxyellowxyz
Aristh
Aristh
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

What is so special about Book 51?

Post by zyxyellowxyz » Tue May 26, 2009 2:51 pm

I've been trying to find copies of all the books I don't own via reputable online sources (I'm just going to face the fact that Arkansas does not have very great used book stores/that and they are few and far between.) And I just have to ask: Why is Book 51 (The Absolute) so darn expensive?
The CHEAPEST I have seen was $16.98 plus shipping. I have been able to find the others for either $3.97 + FREE shipping or $1.00 + $3.95(7) shipping. Since I would like to buy it all from one place, the cheapest I really found was about $17 and some odd cents, and free shipping.
Was there less copies of this book printed, was there something special included with the book? I would really like to know why this particular one is going for so much. I'm willing to pay the retail price, but ... but a $12 mark-up in 8 years? Why? Why has that one increased in value while the others seem to lose their value? I saw someone selling a copy for over $100! Can someone please answer/tell me why this one book out of the entire series costs so much.

Or at-least point me to a website where I can buy it for cheaper.

(Sorry, but I will not use eBay to buy a book. I will use amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, booksamillion.com, and abebooks.com. If there are anymore reputable online booksellers, I will be willing to look at their site)
You can call me yellow or SuzyQ, neither is my real name, but its close enough for the web.

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee

Re: What is so special about Book 51?

Post by Elfangor » Tue May 26, 2009 4:42 pm

I'm not sure. in New Zealand the expensive books 52 and 50 and the rares are 46 and 48.
You all have guns
And you never put the safety on
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

zyxyellowxyz
Aristh
Aristh

Post by zyxyellowxyz » Tue May 26, 2009 5:34 pm

The cheapest I have seen (now) is for $10 (USD)
It still baffles my mind because it still means that it's doubled in price in 8 years.
I have no idea which books are the rares in the USA, but apparently 51 is.
You can call me yellow or SuzyQ, neither is my real name, but its close enough for the web.

EmberGryphon
Captain
Captain

Post by EmberGryphon » Wed May 27, 2009 5:10 pm

I believe all the later ones are more rare (and more expensive) than the older ones- simply because so many people did what I did- stopped reading halfway through. Most people who bought 40-54 also bought 1-40, but a large chunk of the people who were into the series when it started fell out of the habit of buying the books around that point (books 30-45). And so they printed fewer of them, and now the books are out of print altogether. Sad!

And we who made that mistake look back at our error and say, "Hey, these books were rad. Why did I ever stop reading them? What lure of adult literature was so powerful as to pull me into infidelity and finally cold, crass disloyalty to my first (or, perhaps, second, or maybe third) serial love?"

And we can never figure out the answer. >=
Trainin' Wadsworth --> ImageImage

zyxyellowxyz
Aristh
Aristh

Post by zyxyellowxyz » Wed May 27, 2009 7:17 pm

You're probably right. I stopped reading at the end of 31. (I just read 32 and 33 today, and realized that I DID NOT remember bits and pieces while reading them like I had the others.)
I was one who gave up about half way through BECAUSE they were labeled "kids" books and I was in Junior High at the time I stopped... all due to one person making fun of me. :/ Oh well. My goal is to own all of them. I just really don't want to have to pay 30$ (give or take) for a book that originally sold for 5$ :/ oh well

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee

Post by Elfangor » Wed May 27, 2009 7:18 pm

Well there are always Ebook. BTW I just bought 54 for $6
You all have guns
And you never put the safety on
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

luckyclover13
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by luckyclover13 » Fri May 29, 2009 6:30 am

Hmm well, #51 really does seem rare. There were like only 4 copies of them in the Singapore libraries at a period of time when the Animorph books were in relative abundance xD I remember having to search really hard for that one...

Personally I don't mind paying a lot for the books as long as it's not going to be like $30 for ONE book. I'll be happy just to be able to find them(: but currently I refuse to buy books off the net xD partially because I don't have a credit card that I can use for the payment... :P
This fight is personal.

zyxyellowxyz
Aristh
Aristh

Post by zyxyellowxyz » Fri May 29, 2009 7:33 am

I would prefer to buy them at a used bookstore rather than online, but the used bookstore in the town/small city that I live isn't really that good. There is a good one that I know of in the state, its just 48.1 miles away. We just don't really have the time to drive down there to scour the shelves. (That, and I would end up wanting to buy the whole store....) So, because of convince factor, I have been looking online. I'm hoping to get lucky and, whenever I do get around to buying them, that number 51 isn't still going for around $30. Thanks everyone for their impute, it's helped me understand how it could happen.

TheAnimorpher
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by TheAnimorpher » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:09 pm

I live in U.S.A and I have 2 copies of 51#. One I got at a garage sale for like 75 cents, and the other my friend gave to me with a bunch of other animorphs books. That was a couple of years ago, though. Maybe you can borrow 51# from someone or read the eBook.
Tobias: They'll come. The Andalites will come. And until then...
Jake: (nods and wipes tears) Yeah. Until then, we fight.
LONG LIVE THE ANIMORPHS

AneeshTheGreat
Donator
Donator
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by AneeshTheGreat » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:26 pm

Hmm... I live in India, and i recently got the Andalite Chronicles, which is almost double the size of an Animorphs book, second hand for a mere Rs.30, which (currently) translates to about $0.61! However, Animorphs books are very rare and difficult to get here...
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand Binary, and those who don't. Now 1/4th a Computer Scientist (or Computer Science Engineer, depending on my mood), i can safely say i fall into the first category.