Where do the Animorphs live?

Discussions regarding the Animorphs books
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Fear himself
Gedd

Re: Where do the Animorphs live?

Post by Fear himself » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:17 am

(Sorry for writing a lot) Well let's look at it from a deducing point of view. In book 15, chapter 5: Marco perfectly describes an island 30km off coast from their land. The island being about 6km long by 4.5km wide and is shaped like a crescent moon. Now as we all know they're in California so if you look on Google maps there are two little islands west of Los Angeles about 30km from them, more or less a crescent moon shape (I know Marco says the island is called 'Royan Island' and the islands I'm pointing out aren't called that but I think that 'Royan Island' was made up for the story). To the nearest land persuades me enough that the Animorphs live around Oxnard. Also if you pay enough attention to book 4, chapter 9: Cassie some what says they used a river when they morphed dolphins just under a bridge near a little park, the river empties into the ocean, the river is lined with trees along most of its length & here and there are homes and private docks. By the looks of it Oxnard has a river or two with a bridge. Book 20 chapter 19 with Marco and David walking the streets at night, as it says in the book 'I took him down the dark, quiet streets, out through the gate, and along the boulevard to the 7-Eleven. There was a phone on the street side of the 7-Eleven car park.' On Google maps I typed '7-eleven near Oxnard Boulevard, CA, United States' along the drop down list showed one up north and one down south. With street view I couldn't find pay phones around the north area but south only had 2 payphone next to each other. Amongst Oxnard I'm sure has a few dry lands, mountains and some meadows. I could still be wrong but I find it all very convincing. Anyone agree?

Escafil
Gedd

Post by Escafil » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:35 am

Fear himself wrote:(Sorry for writing a lot) Well let's look at it from a deducing point of view. In book 15, chapter 5: Marco perfectly describes an island 30km off coast from their land. The island being about 6km long by 4.5km wide and is shaped like a crescent moon. Now as we all know they're in California so if you look on Google maps there are two little islands west of Los Angeles about 30km from them, more or less a crescent moon shape (I know Marco says the island is called 'Royan Island' and the islands I'm pointing out aren't called that but I think that 'Royan Island' was made up for the story). To the nearest land persuades me enough that the Animorphs live around Oxnard. Also if you pay enough attention to book 4, chapter 9: Cassie some what says they used a river when they morphed dolphins just under a bridge near a little park, the river empties into the ocean, the river is lined with trees along most of its length & here and there are homes and private docks. By the looks of it Oxnard has a river or two with a bridge. Book 20 chapter 19 with Marco and David walking the streets at night, as it says in the book 'I took him down the dark, quiet streets, out through the gate, and along the boulevard to the 7-Eleven. There was a phone on the street side of the 7-Eleven car park.' On Google maps I typed '7-eleven near Oxnard Boulevard, CA, United States' along the drop down list showed one up north and one down south. With street view I couldn't find pay phones around the north area but south only had 2 payphone next to each other. Amongst Oxnard I'm sure has a few dry lands, mountains and some meadows. I could still be wrong but I find it all very convincing. Anyone agree?
Agreed. I have spent my whole live growing up on the central coast of California, and I've always considered the Animorphs books to take place in the Santa Barbara area, just from the little clues in the books. Never actually did the digital legwork necessary to track down specifics, though, so good job!

kunio
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by kunio » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:00 pm

My best guess would be somewhere near San Diego or possibly Santa Barbara given the proximity to the Ocean/Beaches, Zoos, and such. Although it could be further North in California because there are expansive forests/woods an hour or so from where the Animorphs live (where Ax, Tobias, and the Hork Bajir refugees live in the woods/forest)

gwilliam
Gedd

Post by gwilliam » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:20 am

I always perceived it as a suburb of LA, although Santa Barbara makes a lot of sense in retrospect. Also, as someone from San Diego, there just isn't enough mention of military presence (until the last few books) for me to see San Diego. One issue with it being Santa Barbara is Jake refers to it at the end (when secrecy doesn't matter) as a town. Do people from Santa Barbara refer to Santa Barbara as a town?

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:50 pm

<K.A. Applegate once said that it was somewhere in southern California.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

whitephoenixfire
Gedd

Post by whitephoenixfire » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:35 am

Its gotta be Santa Barbara, not Oxnard because Cassies farm backs to the national forest, Tobias states in #3 the encounter and its the same distance to the island. Oxnard is separated from the Los Pedros national forest by Ojai. Also if they hang out on the beach with regularity and her farm backs to the national forest, it would have to be somewhere "skinny" like Santa Barbara, with limited distance between the ocean and the forest, instead of somewhere open and urban like oxnard. Id consider SB more of a town due to its size and distance from LA. They also have a zoo, and presumably cassies mom isn't traveling hours each day to and from work but that's just speculation.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Wed May 02, 2018 4:23 pm

<It should also be noted that if they are changing their names, or at least not telling us their last names, then they are likely to lie about the names of nearby islands and the local geography.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

kheetor84
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by kheetor84 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:58 pm

To help ya'll with where Southern Californian islands and possible islands that could've been mentioned (like David's island). https://imgur.com/a/fpsHti2