Cover models

Discussions regarding the Animorphs books
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Re: Cover models

Post by TF. » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:58 pm

Are you guessing a green shade from the books' descriptions or from the cover pics? (I notice that your andalite avatar has brown eyes)
Image Image Image Image

mrmrsheim
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by mrmrsheim » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:06 pm

It's been confirmed that it's just sketches, no real people. I think that's pretty obvious if you were to look at it from an artist's standpoint. There's by no means any real detail.

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:55 pm

Actually, there were real people. Have a look at the detail of the images after about book #3. It's confirmed here where it talks about the availability of the models to do #54. But #1 and #2 both appear suspiciously hand-drawn and, presumably, the positioning of the models and animals later on was based on Mattingly's original sketches.
Image Image Image Image

Principal a Chapman
Gedd

Post by Principal a Chapman » Fri May 23, 2014 3:26 pm

I knew the model for Rachel who did a few different covers (mostly the early ones). She was from my town and was in my parish. Paige. It was exciting cuz I'd read buy the books with her on the cover and then hope to see her at Mass. I guess I was 10 or 11 and she 14ish? She went on to star in this horrible show 'Alien in the family' in the late 90s which promptly got canceled and I haven't heard a word about her since.

BirdBoy130
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by BirdBoy130 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:00 pm

So im confused is the cover for Rachel a hand drawing or an actual model that posed for the pics, also the thing Zophar said about the model for rachel being on a back cover of a hustler magazine was that forreal if show is there like a pic somewhere on the web

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by capnnerefir » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:27 pm

It's most likely that Zophar was confused. It was a looong time ago, after all. He probably just saw a girl who looked kind of like her.

mostafahmed
Prince
Prince
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by mostafahmed » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:23 am

I think they were done by david since the models never seemed to grow up on the covers throughout the 4 years of book releases.
I am an Egyptian ...... What's your superpower?

iamkeon
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by iamkeon » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:26 pm

It could be this Paige Tiffany person… Some of the google image results have a similar look. I tried to use the nose and brow as reference points, but nothing conclusive...

p0tt34
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by p0tt34 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:31 pm

Hello there. I know this is kind of a dead topic, but back a couple of years ago, the actual illustrator was interviewed for Vice while at Loscon (found here: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qbxm ... a-kid-1207). In it, he said this little nugget:
Spoiler:
How did your process work with the Animorphs covers? Did they give you the characters' photos first? Oh, no. I did photo shoots [with the kids] myself, and then for the animals, I would either find a reference, or do a photoshoot when I actually could. For [The Stranger, book #7, the cover of which features the character Rachel morphing into a grizzly bear], I went out to a zoo and actually photographed a bear. Did you use the same models over the years? Unfortunately, I couldn't. The kids age too quickly. They come back in and they've gone through puberty and don't look the same at all. The only model that I was able to use for the entire series was the [model for the character Cassie]. If I saw her today, she'd probably look roughly the same—she just never aged, and was a fabulous model, very cooperative. In retrospect it would have been nice if I had just shot all of them at the beginning... Why didn't we just pay them to use their faces throughout?