Das1234 art thread; now with 100% more polygons!

This forum is for all Animorphs related art.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: Das1234 art thread; now with 100% more polygons!

Post by capnnerefir » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:19 am

das1234 wrote:anyone knows how big the bladeship actually is?
Good question! I was just thinking about this sort of thing last night.
das1234 wrote:i probably mix it with the weird battleship V1 had in the book where V1 wanted to find the hork valley but if V3 has ONE bladeship to enslave a whole planet and powned elfangor with it i think it's a capital ship.
All we can say for sure about the Nova ship V1 had was that V3 was impressed by it. So it was probably pretty big.

Anyway, we know that in addition to the Blade ship, V3 also had a Pool ship, which is definitely a capital ship.
das1234 wrote:i also think i read the poolship is 300m diameter which is way too small because its like a city inside.
(i think one meter is about 3 feet probably.)
Hmm...if I remember correctly, that'd put it roughly the size of three American football fields. I remember that the Yeerk pool itself was described as being around 1 football field in length. So it's certainly big enough to serve as a huge, mobile pool. And while that does sound like it isn't very wide, we also know (from book 5) that a pool ship has at least 15 decks. We're not sure how tall each deck is, but we can probably assume at least 10 feet. And we know that the ship is basically spherical. I'm sure that someone could calculate the area of one deck, and multiply that by 15 to see where that gets us in terms of overall space. But I certainly can't do that. And we don't know how many decks there actually are.

So...I guess what I'm saying with all of that is that it could be that size. Or that could just be wrong....um....

We know that a Bug fighter is about the size of a school bus (so Jake says in book 1). He also describes the Blade ship as being 8 or 10 times the size of a bug fighter. The average school bus is about 36 feet, so that's 10 - 11 meters. This would put the blade ship at 100 meters long or so. This would make it a third the size of a Pool ship. Considering that a Blade ship also has multiple decks, this is feasible.

As for classification, I've always classified a Blade ship as a battleship dreadnought, rather than a capital ship.
Last edited by capnnerefir on Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dreadnought. I meant dreadnought, not battleship. How silly of me.

das1234
Warrior
Warrior

Post by das1234 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:20 am

okay,this means my model is factor 20 too big.
oO

i dunno, i think 100 meters is not very much. don't get me wrong, it's pretty big, but it definitetly seems too small to have hangars for bugfighters, at least my sleek design would be. i'm not saying it should have stardestroyer dimensions, but as the main threat i think its not enough.
(side note: i thought a bladeship was heavier armed than a poolship?)

whats funny is that in the enginepod renderings i posted earlier i have two hangars in them which i thought would be the right size, but they are 25 meters wide each, so i should be able to scale it some.

i guess ill have to settle for about 300 to 400, i probably only have to resize the command tower i dont know why i have it on there lol.
if i ever do a poolship, which might happen but i think the poolship has the best 'official' design out of them, i would probably make the main body slightly shorter than the bladeship but huge and fat and with the arms it would be much larger than the bladeship.

sorry for all the metering but your units are so much more complicated lol

btw, capn: dont you still have the same bladeship in your series? this thing basically went through everything that exists, best ship ever!
ive just started reading neomorphs again and 70 was awesome. maybe ill make a reliquary next. we'll see.
This isn't drooling, n00b! It's art!

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:20 am

das1234 wrote:i dunno, i think 100 meters is not very much. don't get me wrong, it's pretty big, but it definitetly seems too small to have hangars for bugfighters, at least my sleek design would be. i'm not saying it should have stardestroyer dimensions, but as the main threat i think its not enough.
Hmm...Well, according to my research, America's Nimtz-class supercarriers are about 300 meters long. Which, actually, is the length we figured out for a Pool ship. So there's that bit of information.

The first dreadnought (which is what I meant instead of battleship) ever launched had a length of about 160 meters. That's a little more than 1.5 X the size we came up with for the blade ship, but I'd still bet that the Blade ship had more decks, giving it more space overall. So I'd say that 100 meters is still workable.
das1234 wrote:(side note: i thought a bladeship was heavier armed than a poolship?)
I believe that is the case. At the very least, it's capable of taking on a Dome ship, even if that particular fight was somewhat skewed. Yay tactics?

Of course, I'll never tell you what to do with your art. Make the size whatever you want. I'm just finding this discussion fascinating. It's actually helpful for worldbuilding.
das1234 wrote:sorry for all the metering but your units are so much more complicated lol
I quiet agree. 8D
das1234 wrote: btw, capn: dont you still have the same bladeship in your series? this thing basically went through everything that exists, best ship ever!
Yep, it's still the same old Blade ship. That thing has been through a whole lot in its life. In some ways, it's almost a character of its own.

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:27 am

I've also started up a new topic in the discussions forum about this, copying the posts already made on the subject.

So any speculation about the sizes of various starships should go here, while anything specifically related to das's art should continue here.

Sassy_Cat
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Sassy_Cat » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:10 pm

I know right, talent has been found. Keep drawn'!
"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."
- Ray Bradbury

My amazing blog- http://yasreadyas.blogspot.com/

das1234
Warrior
Warrior

Post by das1234 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:48 pm

so, just a quick update.
i updated the model just a tad, and will stick with a main body length of 440 meters. its as small as i could get it without having the top bridge be a dwarf garden with ceiling height under hork-bajir size.
i think the size is okay now, probably would wanted it smaller for canon, but wanted it larger for dramatic effect. this results in the main body being two stories high, which you can see in the middle of the body where's some lit hallway windows. also, the figure dummy standing on top of the ship is 2.3 meters high, a hork-bajir dummy.
as for improvements, i did a basic cockpit and top secondary bridge interior and illuminated them in classic yeerk red. also i made doors for the bug fighter hangars and resized them to 7 meters wide and 2.4 meters high, which should comply with my bug fighter concept which is very flat and sleek-looking.
also i included some instruments sticking out of the top submarine-like pillar for some reason.

i dont know what im going to do next with it but for now im satisfied, maybe need some more weapons next. also probably needs more poly, although i want to finish the whole geometry and details first. i also probably should recolor the hallway lighting, red seems fine for the bridge (again, sub-style) but stupid for everywhere.

so this test-render is really big (6400x3600) so you can see all the stuffs clearly, but its filesize isnt so bad actually so it should be okay.

have fun, comments are welcome

youll either have to save the file or click the + magnifying glass in the popup again to see native resolution i think.
blade ship 0.5.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:32 pm

That is damn fine resolution, das. Damn fine.

I'm very impressed by the detailing of the model. I will confess that at first, I didn't understand why exact dimensions were so important to your work, but now that I look closely at the piece, I can see why you cared so much about how precise you were. I think going a bit bigger from canon was a very good choice; no reason to sacrifice aesthetics for technicalities.

This should definitely be viewed at its full size for maximum enjoyment.

Sassy_Cat
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Sassy_Cat » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:21 pm

Wow. Interesting colors, too. *staring at picture* Cooooooool.....
"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."
- Ray Bradbury

My amazing blog- http://yasreadyas.blogspot.com/

das1234
Warrior
Warrior

Post by das1234 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:49 pm

Hey guys,
no big updates, i have a new kelbrid sketch done, but cant get it into the pc right now, because theres layers of stuff stacked on top of it.
in the meantime, i have updated my bladeship a little. i found out how to render really high poly while working low poly, which is great. that means that the geometry now is awesomely smooth.
i removed the engines in the main body, because i felt there were too many, but it looks weird now; dont know what ill do with it.
also i managed to attach the "secondary cockpit tower" to the body so it looks like it belongs there by a pedestral that goes back to the wings. i thought of putting some sort of superweapon or sth in the spot under the tower, i tried but it looked really weird. dont know how to proceed there yet.

also, do yeerks use rockets? are rocketpods too oldschool for spacebattles? they might be the worse option if you have las0rz, so probably not.
blade ship 0.51.png
until next time,
das

P.S
John Sobieski, please tell me something about that picture i sent you; since i got no answer i have no idea if you even got it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:56 pm

Like the pic, das.I'm glad you found a way to make everything super smooth. Smooth is good.

As far as I know, there aren't rockets in the Aniverse; just different lasers. I recall the Venbar carrying larger Dracon guns in book 25; I think that's about as close as we get to rockets.