New Album: Tiktaalik/Hork-Bajir

This forum is for all Animorphs related art.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Blu
Rampant Drunk
Rampant Drunk

Re: New Album: Tiktaalik/Hork-Bajir

Post by Blu » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:36 pm

New album cover for Hork-Bajir, created by the fantastic Daniela Kazarian (https://www.facebook.com/dkazArt?fref=ts)!
1499782_10202354793305216_1988523911_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by gh astly » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:37 pm

Damn, that looks pretty good!
Animorphs: The Abridged Series. Post there so I'm not lonely.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Well, it's just entertainment, folks.

Blu
Rampant Drunk
Rampant Drunk

Post by Blu » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:03 pm

I haz album! It's not the double-album, but this is an older one I did.

Copied from Facebook:

Would you like a copy of the Revelations album? Physical copies can be picked up FOR FREE from me, or, if that isn't possible, the album is available to listen and download here: http://blujugganaut.bandcamp.com/album/revelations

Unsure of picking up the album? Take a listen to the song Walk Into Space from the album:

"BLUJUGGANAUT — REVELATIONS

Since I have been at university, I have been quite active musically. I have written five albums and two E.Ps, but due to a lack of both funds and time, I have yet been unable to do full recordings of any of them. Therefore, I have decided to release each album as a live acoustic compilation, with songs taken from various live performances. Due to the nature of how the CDs are compiled, though, the quality of songs will vary noticeably, both in sound quality and in performance quality! However, I hope that these compilations will shed light on what I have been trying to achieve musically, and that you enjoy listening to them as much as I enjoyed writing them.

Revelations is my fourth album, written in early 2012 during a typically periodic writing spree. The album was written approximately within 2 or 3 months, mostly in Cornwall. It is a conceptual piece about a child who is born to parents who rank highly in their society during troubled times. Because of the child’s accomplished parents, she is expected to reach their standards and lead the people. Her personality is drilled into her by her expectations and how the world portrays her, and when things finally start to become better for the society, she struggles to adapt to the changes around her, leaving her isolated and confused.
Special thanks go to James Phillips and John Harley who run the On Stage On Sunday Open Mic where all songs were recorded, and to James Heap (https://www.facebook.com/JamesyHeap) for the album artwork.

Hope you enjoy Revelations!

Adam"

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:20 pm

Gah, why do I have no money?
I promise that as soon as I can put money into my PayPal account, I will buy this!

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Blu
Rampant Drunk
Rampant Drunk

Post by Blu » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:25 am

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:25 am

:o Has anyone ever told you that you're awesome, Adam?

Blu
Rampant Drunk
Rampant Drunk

Post by Blu » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:14 pm

:P Let me know what you think.

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:30 pm

Ooh, boy, don't ask me to let you know what I think about music. Might want to get a snack, because this will take a while.

First, I have to address the fact that the album (for the first half, at least) seems to flow together as one song. It's a concept that I've seen a few times before, but I really haven't seen it done as well as it is here. The main reason that this idea works for Revelations is that the album does not try to do too much. Too many times, I've seen an album try to cover so many genres that it trips over itself and ends up going nowhere. However, this is very stripped down in comparison to pretty much every album in my collection, and it certainly works that way. The few times I noticed progressive elements on this album, they ended up adding more to the songs than I initially expected. A lot of "progressive" music that I've listened to, which more often than not, is progressive for the sake of being progressive, almost like it's shoehorned in; in Revelations, I see absolutely none of that.

That having been said, I feel that I have to b**** about the production at least a little bit. I realize these songs were recorded live and there's very little you can do about production in a setting like that, though, so I'll keep it kind of short. For the second part of the album, the production is pretty solid. However, for the first 8 tracks or so, the guitar seems to have a little too much treble and not enough bass in the mix. I don't know if this was a result of playing technique or just EQ, but I felt there was a little too much emphasis on the pick attack and the sustain was not very audible at times. On top of that, adding a bit of reverb to the guitar would have livened up the sound a lot. But again, I realize that this would have been a real pain to fix when working with a live mix, so I can let a lot of the more minor production issues slide.

One thing that I won't budge on, however, was the vocal performance. It wasn't bad, not in the least; your vocals fit the songs pretty well in most instances, and I really can't recall any instances where they went off-key, save for the song "Walk Into Space," which I have to point out, I found to be the weakest song on the album. One small quirk that I noticed on a few songs that honestly annoyed me every time it happened, though, was that you would sing a few lines in a lower register and would add some gravel to your voice. I'm going to be completely honest here (please don't take this the wrong way): there are very few people that can pull that off well, and I really don't think you're one of them. On a good portion of the songs, too, the vocals seem to overpower the guitar a lot, which is a real shame, because I really like your playing style. Interestingly enough, I found my favorite song on the album to be "Someday, I Will Die," mainly because I could focus on the brilliant songwriting that was there. I think that if the vocals were more subdued for a majority of the album, like the first few minutes of "Change," then I would have been able to appreciate when you did go into your higher register much more.

Alright, I think I should wrap this up. The songwriting was very smooth, and I have nothing to complain about in terms of your guitar performance. The album creates a bit of a chilling atmosphere when listening to it all the way through, something that kind of reminds me of Ænima by Tool (and anything that reminds me of Ænima is a good thing). It's honestly great music for relaxing to, but as I was actively listening to the music, I felt kind of disappointed by the lack of any real buildup or climax. Overall, I see a lot of potential from Revelations, and I am really, really excited to see what you'll end up doing with your stuff in the future.

Blu
Rampant Drunk
Rampant Drunk

Post by Blu » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:28 am

Thanks so much! I've never actually had a review like this before, so it's actually made my day! =P

I totally agree with the production gripe, but when recording, everything gets recorded into the same track, so vocals and guitar aren't separate. It's a bugger, therefore, to mess around with EQ and volumes. That's a problem I'm trying to address as I'm recording the next album.

One thing I will say is that is that , when I ask people who see me live, a lot say that one of my best songs is Walk Into Space. Interesting to hear you say that it's the weakest, but hey ho.

Next album should be done soon, and I'll put up one of the songs tonight. :)

Blu
Rampant Drunk
Rampant Drunk

Post by Blu » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:33 am

Next album to be released will be the 2011 album, Dedicated To Science.
dts.jpg
Tracklisting:

Monkeys In Suits
Something Untouchable
The Moonlight Show
Corrupt
Den of Roses
The Dinosaur
Little Voice
Falcon
Sweet Ninkasi
Black & White
Dedicated to Science
This Golden Dust Ain't Magic
Final Cliche

A couple of tracks from the album:
https://soundcloud.com/blujugganaut/the-dinosaur
https://soundcloud.com/blujugganaut/den-of-roses

More updates on my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/BluJugga ... 9396218956
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.