K.A Applegate is a stereotyping bigot

Talk about politics here.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
The_African
Warrior
Warrior

K.A Applegate is a stereotyping bigot

Post by The_African » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:01 am

Book 2

Page 86

"Cats really don't have much interest in
humans at all, unless food is involved."

This pisses me off so much, I may not even finish her damn series.

Ellimist
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Re: K.A Applegate is a stereotyping bigot

Post by Ellimist » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:33 pm

"Stereotyping bigot" - That really depends.

But I agree, she shouldn't have said that. That would really really piss off some of my friends. :roll:
Powered by chocolate and Dvorak

Andalite Angel
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by Andalite Angel » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:36 pm

Huh? Why on earth would that make you mad? :? Me, I'm a toatal animal freak, and I find nothing what so ever wrong with that. :| Am I missing something, or what? And why just focus on one little sentance while the books are extremely good and well writen? Why make that ruin a perfectly good series? (Minus KASUs, of course. :lol:)

The_African
Warrior
Warrior

Post by The_African » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:40 pm

Andalite Angel wrote:Huh? Why on earth would that make you mad? :? Me, I'm a toatal animal freak, and I find nothing what so ever wrong with that. :| Am I missing something, or what? And why just focus on one little sentance while the books are extremely good and well writen? Why make that ruin a perfectly good series? (Minus KASUs, of course. :lol:)
The stereotype that cats are unemotional and standoffish is hurtful and ignorant. Mine is warm, affectionate and in love with me. I also know of other cats that are warm, affectionate and friendly.

I know I'm overreacting but I get frustrated very easily.

Andalite Angel
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by Andalite Angel » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:46 pm

I don't get that from the sentance, but that's just me. :lol: Maybe it's because that's how my cats act for most of the time.

The_African
Warrior
Warrior

Post by The_African » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:52 pm

Andalite Angel wrote:I don't get that from the sentance, but that's just me. :lol: Maybe it's because that's how my cats act for most of the time.
One cat does not represent the *entire* species.

Blu
Rampant Drunk
Rampant Drunk

Post by Blu » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:00 pm

lets not base her entire writin career and life on the fact shes thinks cats have a thing for food

personally, i couldnt care less how a cat feels, and i own 2!

The_African
Warrior
Warrior

Post by The_African » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:06 pm

BluJugganaut wrote:
I feel sorry for them. You don't sound like a very loving 'owner' :( .

Speciesism is no more acceptable than racism or sexism is. It's time we get it through our thick skulls that we aren't the only sentient animal on the planet. If you go back around 85 million years, we share a common ancestry with cats and dogs.
why just focus on one little sentance while the books are extremely good and well writen? Why make that ruin a perfectly good series?
You're right, I couldn't stop reading them even if I wanted to but it won't be the same. I just felt the need to vent. Another small thing that bothered me was in the Ellimist chronicles when she said that dinosaurs weren't sentient. Dinosaurs were reptiles, we share a 'reptilian' brain stem with reptiles so there's no question that they also experience fear and anger. I don't know about love since, in mammals (and birds, I think), love evolved because offspring who had loving mothers were more likely to survive and crocodilians are the only reptiles that take care of their children after they hatch. That mildly bothered me more so because it was wrong, not really because I'm emotionally fond of reptiles (although I respect them as sentient beings).

Maybe I should just start a "things K.A Applegate has written that irritated you" thread.
Last edited by The_African on Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blu
Rampant Drunk
Rampant Drunk

Post by Blu » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:17 pm

The_African wrote:
BluJugganaut wrote:
I feel sorry for them. You don't sound like a very loving 'owner' :( .

Speciesism is no more acceptable than racism or sexism is. It's time we get it through our thick skulls that we aren't the only sentient animal on the planet. If you go back around 85 million years, we share a common ancestry with cats and dogs.
lol, i own them, but i dont live with em, in fact, i hardly own them

ya think i dont agree with ya?

I have a lovely little snake called Lola, she wouldnt harm a fly (seriously), and people instantly hate her, without even seeing her. Shes victim to a lot of this so-called 'Speciesism'.

So yes i do agree with ya

and apparantly humans evolved from reptiles anyway :roll:

The_African
Warrior
Warrior

Post by The_African » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:23 pm

and apparantly humans evolved from reptiles anyway
This is actually a misconception. The most recent common ancestor of mammals and reptiles lived around 310 million years ago. Superficially, these early amniotes resembled reptiles (lizards, I think) but they weren't reptiles. Some of them evolved into synapsids (our pre-mammalian ancestors) and some of them evolved into sauropsids, the true 'reptiles'. Birds descend from dinosaurs so we also share these ancestors with them.