2nd Amendment

Talk about politics here.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.

Does the 2nd amendment give individuals the right to own firearms (for hunting or protection, etc.)?

yes
100%
no
No votes

Total votes: 6

SamilinCorrathGahar
Ruler of Everything
Ruler of Everything
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Re: 2nd Amendment

Post by SamilinCorrathGahar » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:55 am

<An amendment would have to be VERY badly written if the rights that it gives and the rights that it does not give are not clearly stated.>
<This one was clearly written to allow any American citizen to own a firearm for hunting and to defend their home.>
<Anyone who doesn't see this, has not read it.>

As passed by the Congress:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

As ratified by the States:
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
<Yes, it is I, Captain Samilin-Corrath-Gahar of the Andalite ship Ascalin, and ruler of everything .>

ko ko
Warrior
Warrior

Re: 2nd Amendment

Post by ko ko » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:51 pm

there are some that say only those that are in the well regulated militia are allowed to bear arms. regardless of the vagueness of language of the late 1700s, one would have to also examine the context of what a militia was at the time.

today, we don't really have what we would call a militia. the closest thing we have is the national guard. but back then, any man who wished to fight could simply pick up arms and join. it was more of a local based protection agency for external forces during a time when a militia was needed to fight the british, french, spanish, and indians. and the phrase, well regulated is highly subjective. it could be said that the simple registration of the firearm is enough to regulate said militia.

as for crime, criminals use the deadliest weapons available. if they want to hurt someone, they will find a way. like what was said earlier, they are going to break the law, what's it to them to break a few more? if i was a robber with a gun with a choice of two houses, one of which was owned by a man with a gun and the other owned by a man with no gun, i would rob the man with no gun each and every time.

it is the responsibility of the individual to learn to use their tool (snicker). a stupid little kid could go about shooting someone on accident. but they could stab themselves with a knife or stick their finger into an electric socket or fall into a pool and drown (sadly, i know a lot of families who've lost children that way). i grew up around knives. i played with them responsibly. my mother put those plastic covers on the sockets. i didn't have a pool when i was little, but my mom taught me how to swim anyway. my grandfather had guns. he showed me how to properly handle them.

today, i own guns. i have two little, currently 8 year old cousins. when they were six, i sat them down with my aunt and showed them each and every single one of my guns. they learned not to touch and if they ever see one lying around anywhere, to immediately find and tell an adult.

ban guns... might as well ban cars. the fatalities from that is so much higher.

and if you suggest banning cars, i'll run you over with my truck. . . . finally put my ARB bumper into good use
me and the shift key, we had a falling out