2nd Amendment

Talk about politics here.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.

Does the 2nd amendment give individuals the right to own firearms (for hunting or protection, etc.)?

yes
100%
no
No votes

Total votes: 6

trumpet
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Marco

2nd Amendment

Post by trumpet » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:05 am

Apologies if there was already a thread for this, I skimmed through and didn't see one. Basically how does everyone feel about the 2nd amendment, anti-gun laws, and the like?

The second amendment says "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

This discussion was much more interesting a few years ago, before a few very important supreme court decisions, so lets pretend those decisions hadn't happened. Do you personally believe each individual has the right to possess firearms without any connection to the military?

Dr Sario
GIMPer
GIMPer
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: 2nd Amendment

Post by Dr Sario » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:56 am

Yes, provided that they are able to adequately maintain their firearm.
I think that what was meant by the second amendment was, "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, so that the militia (& government) will not overreach their authority".

Yes, I typed all of that on a phone. Worship me.
"He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster."

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:18 pm

*worships you*

From those words it seems pretty clear that yes, they do have the right to hold firearms. Unless it's repealled, that can't really change. (though the courts could specify that some arms are inappropriate- like howitzers or flamethrowers or rocket launchers or whatever :P ). I'm pretty sure that's one of the main reasons that the USA has more gun-related homicides per year than any other nation on Earth. (I haven't checked them all but I'm pretty sure)
Image Image Image Image

Dr Sario
GIMPer
GIMPer
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Dr Sario » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:12 am

TF. wrote:
*worships you*

From those words it seems pretty clear that yes, they do have the right to hold firearms. Unless it's repealled, that can't really change. (though the courts could specify that some arms are inappropriate- like howitzers or flamethrowers or rocket launchers or whatever :P ). I'm pretty sure that's one of the main reasons that the USA has more gun-related homicides per year than any other nation on Earth. (I haven't checked them all but I'm pretty sure)
Actually, here in Finland pretty damn near every household has a gun (large areas where it's possible to go moose-hunting) and as a result, burglaries & murders are rather rare.
"He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster."

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:14 pm

Actually, here in Finland pretty damn near every household has a gun (large areas where it's possible to go moose-hunting) and as a result, burglaries & murders are rather rare.
I can see how that's a good thing- there are plenty of guns around in Australia, in the hands of farmers and such. I suppose it might have something to do with the setting and who exactly has access to them. Guns in the hands of farmers are a lot different to guns in the hands of urban youths.
Image Image Image Image

nomadsland
Commander
Commander

Post by nomadsland » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:31 pm

TF. wrote:Guns in the hands of farmers are a lot different to guns in the hands of urban youths.
Yes, considering that urban youths acquire guns illegally and use them in gang warfare. There are strict gun laws in many states in the U.S., but what's to stop the people who are already breaking the law?
Launch forth into the deep

Allons-y!

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master

Post by TF. » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:28 pm

what's to stop the people who are already breaking the law?
I suppose they could increase police resources and give them more guns. ;)
Image Image Image Image

trumpet
Civilian

Post by trumpet » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:40 pm

Wow thanks for the replies from people not in the U.S, I guess I didn't realize how international this site was. And I could be mistaken, but I believe in places like England with active gun bans the gun-related crime is much lower (obviously), but the actual burglary/homicide rate as a percentage is higher due to knowing that no-one owns firearms for defense.

However I do agree with TF about there being reasonable limits, but overall most of the anti-gun arguments always seem flawed to me. I mean I was raised around guns, but when I was a kid I was taught how to use one properly and not be stupid... I mean with some basic education and precautions the safety issue really becomes a moot point.

Also at least in the U.S, a surprising majority of the guns used in the gang wars are already acquired illegally, so adding more laws only hinders the legal owners. The best solution is to actually enforce the a fewer amount of laws. I mean I'm not asking to own a machine gun, I just want to be able to own a rifle/shotgun without people treating me like a criminal.

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Current » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:46 pm

What proportion of the population do you think fits the "taught how to use one properly and not be stupid" criteria? How effective do you think this is, on average?
What is not the answer to this question?

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master

Post by TF. » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:07 pm

Current wrote:What proportion of the population do you think fits the "taught how to use one properly and not be stupid" criteria? How effective do you think this is, on average?
What little I know about American gun owners would take a lot of 'derps' and 'herps' to convey, so I'm inclined to think that only a few meet that criteria.
Image Image Image Image