The Right to Marriage. [MATURE 18+ DISCUSSION]

Talk about politics here.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.

Should everyone be entitled to marriage?

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total votes: 106

The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Re: The Right to Marriage. [MATURE 18+ DISCUSSION]

Post by The_Brigadier » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:12 pm

Interesting points.

I was totally against incest because of the ew factor and the genetics issue. Then I realized that a brother and sister getting married did absolutely nothing to affect my life. I also drew comparisons from the gay rights movement. I realized that the ew factor was what kept gays from dating and getting married, even though such factors rarely affected anyone but the gay couple.

I am not against incentuous marriage nor am I proud and staunch supporter for incestuous marriage. I just think one shouldn't try to stop a life style because they are personally disgusted by it.
♫When playin' Jazz you always has a welcome mat, cuz everybody digs a swingin' kat!♫

SnnowW
Gedd

Post by SnnowW » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:50 pm

I think that people should have the right to marry anyone they want because marriage is to say "I belong to this person". Age, gender or religion shouldn't count.

BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by BabelFish42 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:40 pm

The_Brigadier wrote:Interesting points.

I was totally against incest because of the ew factor and the genetics issue. Then I realized that a brother and sister getting married did absolutely nothing to affect my life. I also drew comparisons from the gay rights movement. I realized that the ew factor was what kept gays from dating and getting married, even though such factors rarely affected anyone but the gay couple.

I am not against incentuous marriage nor am I proud and staunch supporter for incestuous marriage. I just think one shouldn't try to stop a life style because they are personally disgusted by it.
I am 100% in favor of gay marriage. That issue is a no-brainer to me. I was raised in a very conservative Christian home, so when I was really young, I was against this. Then when I was about 12, I started reading different people's arguments online, and was like, hmm, my side has no good arguments here. So I switched sides.

But anyway, incest is a little trickier. If the couple decides to have kids, those kids are at a higher risk of inheriting some kind of genetic disease, especially if this continues for more than one generation. So in this case, their decision does have some very big potential effects on other people - their future kids. Should we allow that?

On the other hand... the same is true for people who know they're carriers for genetically inherited diseases (like Huntington's or whatever), but there are no laws telling them they can't get married and have kids. You could argue it's a double standard to allow one but not the other.
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

BSerAkafanofblake
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by BSerAkafanofblake » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:58 pm

first of all It's God's place to judge not ours.
Second all this talk of homosexualy reminds me of some hp fics I read.
y'all knew that was comin.
I sound like paula deen don't I? no offense to her.

Cheese's Dog
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Cheese's Dog » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:28 pm

No. I believe everybody should have the right to obtain a marriage licence regardless of sexual preference. However, if somebody is against same-sex marriage, I do not consider any marriage licence they obtain legitimate. The difference is, if I had the political clout that they do, I would refrain from using it to prevent them from obtaining their marriage licenses.

steamphunk
Civilian

Post by steamphunk » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:40 am

Growing up, I had several friends who were raised by homosexual couples. They are perhaps the ones who are far more intelligent, more responsible, and more capable than those of heterosexual couples. All families have their faults, mine tens to run with depression, anxiety, and personality disorders topped with cancer, diabetes, and dietary intolerances. These same things can appear in children of homosexual couples. So my question is: are there many differences? And my answer: No.

A family is a family; it does not matter who raises a child be it two men, two women, a man and a woman, the grandparents, whomever! So long as the child is happy, well fed, and clothed nothing else should matter. People are people and our genetics cannot be changed. Tolerance is taught in our schools as children and seeing a boy or girl with parents of the same gender is nothing new to most people. There is teasing, yes, but that is kids with problems of their own. And it is up to us, this generation of lazy degenerates and internet junkies to remind children that while Johnny may have two mommies, he's happy and is very loved.

If you honestly have a problem with with homosexual couples, ask yourself: What is it like to be in their shoes? To be so in love with someone but not being able to marry them?

Think about it.
What use is fighting when you have nothing to fight for?

BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by BabelFish42 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:58 pm

^^ Agree with all of that. I cannot fathom why ANYONE would be against homosexual couples having kids. Especially when you consider how many children there are that need loving homes.

I have a new question for everyone. It seems like most people are pretty much in favor of gay marriage. So my question to you all is this: How important of an issue is it to you?

For example, I know several people who are in favor of gay marriage, but are voting for Romney anyway, because they think he'll be better for the economy, and, as my brother put it, "the economy is ten times more important that social issues like gay marriage." Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

steamphunk
Civilian

Post by steamphunk » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:35 pm

I'm not quite sure about that the economy is in greater need than other social issues. I mean, yes we are in a depression -- the entire world is, and that is something that most do not think about. It takes longer than just 4 years to fix not just one country, but the planet as a whole. I am not saying that people should vote for Obama just because is is pro-gay rights and Romney is pro-ecomomy. I am saying that if we could fix everything as quickly as Romeny seems to think, since he has very little knowledge on foreign affairs, I do not expect him to understand the needs of an entire world. If it could be done, Bush would have fixed it.

Both candidates have great flaws in their arguments and reasonings, and both stand a great chance of winning. Supporting homosexual rights is a strong way to get votes, same as being pro-life. What it comes down to is looks in the end, I am sad to say. That and the cookie recipes of the candidates wives.
What use is fighting when you have nothing to fight for?

Omega77
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by Omega77 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:44 pm

You know, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being raised by a same sex couple. It's not like the kids would even know this twisted social norm until they already loved their parents. I'm thinking if the kids were raised in a home like that, it would leave them extremely open-minded, something that many people need today. :good:

Venus
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Venus » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:14 pm

I think everyone should have access to the same rights and not be denied seeing their loved one in the hospital. Plain and simple.

But, if we are going to go with "traditional Biblical marriage"- I want to be allowed to be a concubine. I mean really, men could have as many as they wanted. And maybe the man of my dreams is already married! Unfortunately, I don't technically have my own outtie (penis) unless it's fake, so I'm not sure if I'm allowed my own concubines :(

Of course, then we'd also have to make sure rapists married their victims.

Ok, actually, there's no such thing as traditional Biblical marriage. It was different all through that very diverse book. And laws and legal definitions shouldn't really be based upon one particular religion, whether Jewish or Christian or any of the zillion others. I mean, I'm a Catholic, but I'm also a Bacchic reveler. That has a whooooole different basket of relationships. And I know God is just a fan of love so long as it's real love. Love is the real law, after all, if you're Christian and/or believe Jesus was telling the truth about that. Again, that seems so plain and simple to me. He'd much rather have two loving men or two loving women together than a rapist and his victim.

Personally, I've never been legally married. I don't know if I ever will, but maybe I will fancy getting those rights with someone, someday, because that would be nice. I'm not really the monogamous, ah, "normal", sort. I have/had various forms of relationships that are official but not U.S.A. legal marriages. More like the marriages of old that didn't have a court process ;)