The Right to Marriage. [MATURE 18+ DISCUSSION]

Talk about politics here.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.

Should everyone be entitled to marriage?

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total votes: 106

Zealous Veil
Aristh
Aristh

The Right to Marriage. [MATURE 18+ DISCUSSION]

Post by Zealous Veil » Sat May 31, 2008 10:56 pm

Ooooh, can't you just smell controversy brewing?

Anyway, I wanted to ask all of you about your views on everyone's right to marriage. Yes, I said everyone. I'm including Homosexuals, Transexuals, and everything else in between.

As for I stand...well, I'll be blunt: I really do not give a damn. I'd rather have two gay women or men who love each other very much than two men and women marrying for the sake of marriage. I'll be quite honest, I don't believe in the sanctity of marriage. It's nothing sacred...anymore at least. These days, you can have a marriage for as short as a week...maybe even less, so why not extend this right to everyone? Barring certain individuals from expressing what they believe is true love shouldn't be any different from 'breeders.'

But then, to turn this around on anything-sexuals, why do you want to get married? What purpose does this serve exactly? They have domestic partnership ceremonies that grant you the exact rights as marriage, just under a different name? What makes you want to fight for that title? Do you want to have it just for s*** and giggles? There is no defined difference other than the name. It pretty much seems that they're fighting just for the name, because they are allowed to be joined in a legal ceremony, yet they still moan and shout of injustice. Tell me, why do you continue to fight for this "right to marriage," even if it's right under your nose?

edit: Sorry if this sounds kind of...rambly, I just got out of a bad cold, and sometimes...things that might make sense in my head, end up not being exactly as I envisioned; so if you have any questions about what I said, feel free to bring it up.

darkflame91
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Re: The Right to Marriage. [POSSIBLE 18+ DISCUSSION]

Post by darkflame91 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:04 am

Yup. Everybody should have the right to marriage. No matter what your religious or moral beliefs are, we shouldn't force them on other people. Personally however, male-male just...turns me off. ugh. I used to be okay with female-female but then I read Sidney Sheldon's Bloodline and watched that episode of South Park with all the 'scissoring' (Yes! I watch South Park and read Sidney Sheldon! Well rounded, eh?)...so...same sex is just too weird for me...

On to the actual ceremony of marriage..
I feel sex is over rated. Seriously. Marriage was basically invented like what, 10,000 years ago to protect one guy's ownership over a female, way back when women were considered more as property than people and having sex was pretty much the only entertainment a guy could have...
But its come to mean more than that. Marrying someone is the ultimate test of your love for him/her..which is why its something you should do only if you're truly, madly, deeply, in love. And of course, if the other person feels the same way too. And that's why arranged marriages suck.

hm, I think I'll make a blog post about this.
----
This ex-moderator is almost never online. Noob AFF'ers, I AM THE GHOST EX-MOD. FEAR ME. Also happens to be the first member of this forum to use xkcd in their signature. =D
----

Snoopy
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Re: The Right to Marriage. [MATURE 18+ DISCUSSION]

Post by Snoopy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:48 pm

Well, you all have made some good points. Here’s my personal view on it.

The Bible says that good established marriage as a sacred union between one man and one woman. Anything outside of that relationship is not truly marriage. I think that homosexuality, as Darkflame91 aptly put it, turns me off. I think it’s kind of weird and disturbing.

Now, with all that said, I think that homosexual couples should be treated just like traditional couples. I think they should have all the same rights and privileges that traditional couples do. After all, they’re not hurting anyone; they’re just exercising their personal beliefs. The freedom to do that is one of the strongest pillars of the United States government.

Now, the flipside of that coin is that if parents want to spank their children, they should be allowed to do that. Just as homosexuals aren’t infringing on anyone else’s liberty by exercising their own beliefs, so other parents aren’t hurting anyone else by spanking their own children.

I think that all in all, we would be a whole lot better off today if the government didn’t keep trying to poke its nose into the home, where it has no business interfering.

Okay… I’ll get off my soapbox now.

If you experience any problems, please do not hesitate to PM or email me.

Zealous Veil
Aristh
Aristh

Post by Zealous Veil » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:40 pm

Call me a romantic, I don't believe any sort of sex should be considered weird and disgusting. What's disturbing is that both of you can totally vouch for a sexual relationship between a man and a woman, but are utterly repulsed between a sexual relationship between a man and a man...or a woman and a woman. Sex should be a beautiful thing and not be tossed aside just because the method is slightly different.

And yes, the sanctity of marriage has truly gone down the drain. See any sort of documentary to see why. It's being exploited for it entertainment value. Though I believe in true love, you do not need a fancy wedding to show that you truly love each other. I find it so very materialistic the way other girls must find ways to out do each other and have their "fairy tale" ending.

Also, I'd like to mention the fact that sexuality is in no way a choice, and that scientifically, there are biological differences between homosexuals or other "deviants," as some may put it. C'mon, everyone knows it...so let's say it all together, PHEROMONES! =D

Now, I'd like to introduce another question to you. How do you feel about Transexuals. And by that, I mean those who have finished their transition and are finally in the body they so truly deserve. Would they fall under the homosexual category or would they be considered to be "normal?" The government recognizes their transition from the previous sex and will gladly entitle them to put Male or Female on official governmental documents, but will they allow the marriage between a transgendered male or woman to another individual?

darkflame91
Admiral
Admiral

Post by darkflame91 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:28 pm

I'm not gonna lie. I don't mind two guys loving each other. I just don't want to see it happening. Its not that I'm disgusted or something. Its like a "Dude, there are women there!Why would you possibly want a guy"? feeling. I know, I know, pheromones and all that stuff, but Its literally impossible for me to imagine a guy wanting another guy...

This is the South Park scissoring I was talking about earlier...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QpXMO6SZ50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trannies....
well, they definitely deserve a category of their own....they live a pretty sad life here...they're shunned from the general community, so they go live with other trannies, and go terrorize people on the roads for cash...just jump out and follow that poor guy till he gives them cash...What irritates me is that if they make the effort, they can get together and demand rights...this is a free country after all...but they don't...they've gotten used to the easy method of getting the dough, and they're happy...
----
This ex-moderator is almost never online. Noob AFF'ers, I AM THE GHOST EX-MOD. FEAR ME. Also happens to be the first member of this forum to use xkcd in their signature. =D
----

caspian4202

Post by caspian4202 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:48 am

Well,shouldnt v preserve the traditional form of marriage....i mean,can u imagine growing up with same-sex coupple as parents??I,for one,am uneasy with that idea.

darkflame91
Admiral
Admiral

Post by darkflame91 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:41 am

^^ Yeah..that would be a pain..like Chandler in Friends... :lol:
----
----

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Elfangor » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:12 am

Yea it would have a massive effect on your kids.
Last edited by Elfangor on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
You all have guns
And you never put the safety on
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

Zealous Veil
Aristh
Aristh

Post by Zealous Veil » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:55 pm

I highly doubt that having two dads or two moms would lead to the child offing himself or anyone else for that matter.

Kids are mean, they're despicable, and they'll make fun of anything that's different, however they soon grow out of that phase and learn acceptance. Having a same sex couple as parents won't be any different. Sure, the child may or may not be made fun of, we all were, and for the most mundane things; we were made fun because we were too tall, because we had curly hair, because we were girls, etc. However, I'm quite sure most of us have grown out of that phase. There's not much damage after that.

I've heard theories where the parents would molest their child. I for one find that disgusting. People who think that really have something wrong with their heads.

Anyway, there are gay couples who will not have children and not have a second thought about it.

Zealous Veil
Aristh
Aristh

Post by Zealous Veil » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:14 am

I decided to resurrect the thread due to the recent going ons. Mainly proposition 8. I'm not just targetting Prop 8, but those similar in other states, namely Florida and some other state. I forgot. -sweat drop-

Anyway, I'd just like to say thanks to all you extreme conservatives. You won, you "saved" the "sanctity" of marriage...All your mudslinging and the feeding of lies really helps your case. Your propaganda really did a number on those uninformed. So thanks. Have a nice day.

- Signed a scorned, feminist, bisexual female.

;)