how to void the Right-Left divide?

Talk about politics here.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
bogaboga
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Jake

how to void the Right-Left divide?

Post by bogaboga » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:34 pm

alright so I've been thinking a bit on this since the voting about 2 weeks ago, our elections are little more than 'carnivals', elaborate shows with people trading rhetoric and mud, but the government never actually 'changes' in any meaningful way.
I'm arguing here that left & right are not meaningful terms anymore, we should define newer terminology for our current political order, and not dwell on older themes.

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Re: how to void the Right-Left divide?

Post by Current » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:18 pm

Care to elaborate on how left-wing and right-wing is no longer a useful distinction?
What is not the answer to this question?

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:53 pm

Please do argue this. I agree, but I want to hear your reasons.
Image Image Image Image

Dr Sario
GIMPer
GIMPer
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Dr Sario » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:48 am

Yes please do. (I apologise for the lack of a comma but I'm currently using my phone to type this.)
"He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster."

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:36 pm

You can use AFF from your phone? Woah. Also, I think bogaboga has deserted us. So, wanna talk about Pokemon? :)
Image Image Image Image

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination

Post by Current » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:25 pm

Well, now the obvious thing to do is to sum up everything we know about bogaboga and use to create as accurate a model of his mind as possible, then infer from that what his arguments would be. It might be a bit tricky, given he has only 3 posts, but nobody ever solved a problem by giving up because it was too difficult.

Or, Pokémon.

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master

Post by TF. » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:32 pm

His 3 posts:
^I could never get into SAW after the first one :(
I hear they're all repetitions?
ah Toonami, I was SO fascinated by the weird 'asian sounding language' that played in the end of tenchi the first time I watched it..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCAX4cgszCU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alright so I've been thinking a bit on this since the voting about 2 weeks ago, our elections are little more than 'carnivals', elaborate shows with people trading rhetoric and mud, but the government never actually 'changes' in any meaningful way. I'm arguing here that left & right are not mean...
So he's an anime-viewing, Saw-disliking guy who thinks that 'left' and 'right' are meaningless.
Image Image Image Image

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination

Post by Current » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:54 pm

Well that clearly narrows it down. Though we might also wildly speculate make a few deductions from, say, the fact he's the kind of person who joins a forum, makes 3 posts in 8 minutes, and is never seen again (as of thirteen days from that event, at least). I wonder if someone's done any work on that particular psychological profile. Specifically on its correlation with political opinions regarding the left/right divide. Preferably within American society.

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master

Post by TF. » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:07 pm

I'm guessing that, being an internet 'troll' with a short attention span, he would be the sort that thinks the terms are meaningless because he can't immediately think of good examples for each. In a largely conservative political system, he may think the terms are practically useless because they can't be strongly applied. And I agree that, in most Western democracies, the left/right divide is largely broken down. Still, the terms and ideologies themselves remain, as do historical and international examples.
Image Image Image Image

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination

Post by Current » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:43 pm

I don't think he counts as a troll, though I won't argue with "short attention span".