Global warming - Is it for real?

Talk about politics here.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.

Is global warming really happening?

Yes
77%
No
13%
I'm not sure
10%

Total votes: 79

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Re: Global warming - Is it for real?

Post by Current » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:07 pm

I don't necessarily want eternal life, only extended until such point I am sure enough I don't want to keep on living*. Which may or may not happen. In any case, I'm fairly sure the heat death of the universe will put a bit of a damper on the "eternal" part, and if not, then it's just waiting for the killing event, that given an infinite amount of time will eventually happen, probability 1 (or as close as it gets).

But, on the specific points raised:
5 & 4: The idea is for humanity in general to last indefinitely, not me alone.
3: Technological enhancements to memory are bound to happen eventually.
2: I don't expect to keep my brain biological, see above, so solutions can be engineered for this.
1: I intend to leave an escape hatch. I accept the possibility I might eventually get tired of living.

*Which, you'll note, is another one of those problems people expect to bypass being dead, instead of considering solving the problem of existence becoming tiring. Even assuming eternal life has all these problems, saying "Those won't affect me since I'll be dead" is still not solving them. The ideal is still existence never becoming tiring, so it'd still be better if those problems were solved. Even if it is impossible to do so, that doesn't cease to make them problems, it only makes them unsolvable problems.
What is not the answer to this question?

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:07 pm

Ok then. I'll just stick to dying. ;) I don't consider it to be so bad.
Image Image Image Image

greenking26
Gedd

Post by greenking26 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:28 am

the problem with global warming is we don't have enough information to really decide. Generally, everyone believes there has been an ice, but when we talk about a future one, global warming is blamed

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:29 am

If a sense of justice (or whatever morals normal people subscribe to) demands that we avoid turning the planet into Tatooine and boiling the seas, then we also have a commitment to halt actions that are likely (or suspected) to lead to similar results. GreenKing, even if we don't have definite proof, it is preferable to take action anyway. We don't even have definite proof that the world around us exists or that the sky is blue. We can't proof indubitably that the planet exists yet the evidence we do have (sense data, documentation, etc) indicates that the most likely possibility is that the world does exist and that the sky is blue. Thus, based on probability and the risk if we get it wrong and don't take action, global warming might as well be real and we must act to respond to it.

However, I do not really care, personally. My sense of morality is a tad different. ;)
Image Image Image Image

Dr Sario
GIMPer
GIMPer
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Dr Sario » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:14 am

TF. wrote:If a sense of justice (or whatever morals normal people subscribe to) demands that we avoid turning the planet into Tatooine and boiling the seas, then we also have a commitment to halt actions that are likely (or suspected) to lead to similar results. GreenKing, even if we don't have definite proof, it is preferable to take action anyway. We don't even have definite proof that the world around us exists or that the sky is blue. We can't proof indubitably that the planet exists yet the evidence we do have (sense data, documentation, etc) indicates that the most likely possibility is that the world does exist and that the sky is blue. Thus, based on probability and the risk if we get it wrong and don't take action, global warming might as well be real and we must act to respond to it.
Your message is so important I have repeated it in a huge font. I agree 100%.
"He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster."

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master

Post by TF. » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:07 pm

Your message is so important I have repeated it in a huge font. I agree 100%.
*I feel important* :D
Image Image Image Image

buzzy
Gedd

Post by buzzy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:27 pm

world is warming but nature is such a strong force, somehow i feel humans cannot beat it it has many feedback loops e.g. melting ice caps means more water more water means more co2 storage which means cooling

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Current » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:07 pm

buzzy wrote:world is warming but nature is such a strong force, somehow i feel humans cannot beat it it has many feedback loops e.g. melting ice caps means more water more water means more co2 storage which means cooling
Melting ice caps also means drastic effects on climate. Which would be, y'know, bad.
What is not the answer to this question?

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master

Post by TF. » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:36 am

According to The Day After Tomorrow, increased freshwater from Greenland melting will disrupt the North-Atlantic current which, alongside the superstorms over America and England, with unleash a storm in Russia and smash up Australia and the Pacific with monsoons and cyclones. Likely? Perhaps.
Image Image Image Image

BSerAkafanofblake
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by BSerAkafanofblake » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:19 pm

Current, why on Earth do you think that Future People who've never heard of you would want to bring you back to life?[/quote]
]
Or maybey by the they will have their own version of the ressurection stone.