Spencer wrote:I'm not sure where I stand on this. Sexual crimes towards children is a heinous offense, but castration seems extreme, and what of female offenders? You can't castrate a woman. Incarceration and psychological help seems most appropriate, possibly for life.
I just don't know. My opinions will likely become more or less extreme on a weekly basis, this is a sensitive issue, and if there was a way to prevent all child abuse in a humane fasion I would pick that option.
"Sexual crimes towards children is a heinous offense, and if there was a way to prevent all child abuse in a humane fasion I would pick that option."
"If there was a way" that implies that there is not such a way.
I'm sure that we can all stand by the statement that "Sexual crimes towards children is a heinous offense" the trick then is finding a punishment that does not seem "extreme".
Lets look at some of our choises:
1) Life in jail-this costs the tax payers countless thousands of dollers (or whatever) and the "bad guys" get to live in a nice place without having to pay rent or morgage.
2) Put them to death-this one is the quickest and easyest to pull off, it costs the least and we never have to worry about that one person commiting that crime ever again, yet this is seen as "inhumane" where people on the other side will say that what is inhumane is to let these monsters live.
3) Castration-See "Put them to death", only with more pain.
4) Incarceration and psychological help-see #1, plus as much as I hate to say it, psychological help does not always work. I haven't looked at any numbers on this, but I'm guessing it hardly ever works.
5) Just let them run free, they have every right to express themselves that everyone else does. They believe that it is alright for them to do these things, and I believe that the world was created in a big bang or by some kind of god. Isn't it all really just a diffrence of beliefs? Can't was all just get along? - Yeah. There is a reason that I saved this one for last.
Anyone who votes for number 5 prob doesn't have any kids.