This is why humans absolutely must stop reproducing

Talk about politics here.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
The_African
Warrior
Warrior

This is why humans absolutely must stop reproducing

Post by The_African » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:18 am

The altruistic, ecologically friendly thing to do would be to adopt already existing children instead of creating more of them. If everyone lived a somewhat environmentally friendly lifestyle (by modern, Western standards), we would still need 3 more Earths to sustain us.

Homo sapiens as a species passed our sustainable limit decades ago. The world is becoming overpopulated and there is a limited amount of water, land and other resources to go around. Never mind our contribution to global warming and collective eco-footprint. In a world where a child dies from hunger every 6 seconds, what is the point of reproducing? Why create more humans when there are already millions and millions of children that need loving parents and homes? Why is it more important to leave behind a 'genetic legacy' than it is to live on through our values and ideals and the memories that other people have of us? I know this will sound self-righteous but isn't it somewhat egotistical, selfish and narcissistic to try to fill the world with more 'yous' when there are already so many existing children that need loving parents and homes? There isn't an endless supply of resources, I've read that the average person in a developed country consumes 500 (!!) times more resources than the average Ethiopian. If all 6.8 billion humans lived the way we Westerners or Westernized upper-middle class people in developing countries do, we would have died out a long time ago.

I would give almost anything to see the world's human population be reduced to somewhere in the millions. I think we should go back to living in very small communities like we did throughout most of our existence as a species.

Another thing that all able (ie. non-starving) people must do (we shouldn't just "consider" this, we have to do it) is to live a vegan lifestyle. Not only is human exploitation of non-human animals morally wrong in itself but it's ecologically disastrous. The cows we raise for food, milk and leather contribute to around 18% of all greenhouse gas emissions. Most grains and cereals grown in the U.S, as well as clean water, is fed to domesticated non-human animals in slaughterhouses. Something like 60% of all the corn (or soy) in the U.S is fed to chickens, cows and pigs and it takes around 700 gallons of water to produce one hamburger. Besides not procreating and living a vegan lifestyle, we should also try taking cold showers instead of long, hot ones, using fluorescent light bulbs instead of incandescent ones, carpooling, taking the bus or walking when possible, using a clothesline instead of a drying machine etc. but all of our efforts to reduce our carbon footprints are pointless if we're just going to create more footprints.

2 children, for the record, do not evenly replace a couple since most parents don't die immediatly after the birth of their children. We need to stop reproducing *at all* until the day comes when there isn't a single human orphan to be found on the planet and we've drastically reduced our numbers.

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: This is why humans absolutely must stop reproducing

Post by capnnerefir » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:55 am

I'm going to move this to the politic section, since I think it fits in better there.

For my solution to the overpopulation scare, click here!

Snoopy
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by Snoopy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:10 pm

He’s BACK! It’s the African!!!

*plays fanfare music*

Oh... there're so, so, SO many things I would just love to say in response to this. I mean, the level of sheer left-winged blindness (willing or unwilling, I’m not sure which), is just... well, quite frankly, laughable.

Unfortunately, as usual with The_African, we have a post full of assertions with no references. You assume that the planet is getting warmer due to human activities, you assume that the earth is running out of resources, you assume that the world is overpopulated (in reality, we’re in real danger of depopulation), you assume that it is morally wrong to kill NON-HUMAN (I put that in just for you, African ;) ) animals, you assume that fluorescent coils are better for the environment than incandescents (never mind the Mercury inside each and every coil)... I could go on and on.

If you want to make a point and back up your claims I and I’m sure many other people on this forum would love to hear what you have to say. But until then, I shall regard your post as exactly what it is... a regurgitated left-wing rampage entirely devoid of facts.

If you experience any problems, please do not hesitate to PM or email me.

The_African
Warrior
Warrior

Post by The_African » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:29 am

I've haven't read any of the replies (since I last logged on) but I've beaten this topic to death on other websites. I could write pages trying to convey how serious of an issue global warming is and will be but I wouldn't do the situation justice and I'm just not in the mood. The obvious solution to drastically lowering our collective carbon footprint is to stop bringing more individual footprints into the world. I'll post an article and a documentary and probably avoid posting in this thread for it's duration.

On Friday, February 2, 2007, the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)—the leading international group of climate scientists—published a 20-page summary of a much longer scientific report, The Physical Basis of Climate Change [pdf], which confirms global warming is now “unequivocal” and states with more than 90 percent certainty that human activity “very likely” has been the primary cause of rising temperatures worldwide since 1950.
The report summary also says that global warming is likely to continue for centuries, and that it is already too late to stop some of the serious consequences it will bring—even if mankind could somehow hold the line on greenhouse gas emissions worldwide starting today.

Despite those grim conclusions, however, the report does say that there is still time to slow global warming and to lessen many of its most severe consequences if we act quickly. At the same time, the IPCC report avoids prescribing specific strategies, leaving that to policymakers worldwide, the audience for which the report summary was prepared.

This article answers some of the most common questions about the IPCC report and its predictions for the future of our planet.

Q: What are the expected consequences of global warming based on the summary of the fourth IPCC assessment of climate change science?

A: Global temperatures are expected to increase 3.5 to 8 degrees Fahrenheit by 2050, and there is a 1-in-10 chance that the increase could be far worse, a risk that many experts believe is too great to ignore.

Rising temperatures will alter global weather patterns that have a direct effect on water supplies and agriculture. Deserts will expand, the frequency and severity of droughts and deadly heat waves will increase, and snow will disappear in most areas—except on the very highest mountain peaks.

Sea levels worldwide are expected to rise between 7 and 23 inches by 2100, and will continue to rise for at least the next 1,000 years.

Fierce storms, such as hurricanes, will become more frequent and more floods will occur, due to rising sea levels and heavier rainfall in some areas.

Continuing global warming will also lead to a rise in many diseases that are deadly to humans. Flooding will contaminate water supplies in some areas, giving rise to infectious diseases. Rising temperatures will also increase the range and breeding grounds of mosquitoes and other disease-bearing insects, exposing more people to diseases such as malaria, dengue fever, yellow fever and encephalitis.

Q: What does the IPCC report say about the relationship between global warming and human activity?

A: In the strongest language ever used by the IPCC, the report says that human activity “very likely” has been the primary cause of global warming since 1950. (The term “very likely” indicates more than 90 percent certainty.)

The report summary also says that human activity has been a major contributor to climate change since the Industrial Revolution, which began around 1750.

Global concentrations of carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide—three of the most notable greenhouse gases—have increased significantly over the past 250 years as direct result of human activities. Concentrations of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases now far exceed any found during ice core research spanning the past 650,000 years.

The increase of carbon dioxide is due primarily to the use of fossil fuels, such as oil and coal, and changes in land use, such as cutting down forests to make way for farming, housing and other development. Increases in methane and nitrous oxide are primarily due to agriculture.

Q: What does the report say about the risks of rising sea levels due to global warming?

A: Sea levels worldwide are expected to rise between 7 and 23 inches by 2100, and will continue to rise for at least the next 1,000 years. By comparison, global sea levels rose 6 to 9 inches in the 20th century, so the effects of global warming on sea levels are clearly accelerating.

Rising sea levels will create millions of environmental refugees as people are forced to leave their homes in coastal areas. Many nations will be unequipped to cope with the waves of immigrants looking for new homes.

Increased levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere will change the pH balance of seawater, making it slightly more acidic. Although the oceans will remain alkaline, marine biologists predict that a shift toward greater acidity could threaten the survival of coral reefs and plankton—an essential and fundamental link in the marine food chain.

Even a moderate increase in the build up of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere could easily push average global temperatures to levels last seen 125,000 years ago during a warm period between two ice ages. At that time, sea levels were 12 to 20 feet higher than they are today. Much of the water from that earlier period is now frozen in Greenland and Antarctica, but many of those ice fields are beginning to melt.

Because scientists are not certain how quickly polar ice will melt, the estimates of sea level increases in the report are based on how much warming oceans will expand and do not take into account anticipated runoff from melting ice on land in Greenland and the polar regions.
-page 1

Dr Sario
GIMPer
GIMPer

Post by Dr Sario » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:24 am

So, according to you, we'd need at least three more Earths to contain our population. Look, The_African, we have a WHOLE FRIGGIN' SOLAR SYSTEM that we could conquer with government support. (Why did they waste so much money with the ISS duplicating what the Russians did with Mir? Just to call it the International Space Station?)
We could start with the Moon. Sure, it's nowhere near Earth-mass, but we could dump several million people on it, then start sending some to Mars and Venus. With some terraforming, we could easily do it. Then Mercury, and the moons of the gas giants. Bingo, any possible overpopulation solved. And then there's this thing called the asteroid belt.
"He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster."

Diana moon goddess
War-Prince
War-Prince
Location: somewhere on a planet called earth with lots of freshwater, mountains, trees and constant rain

Post by Diana moon goddess » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:42 pm

ja, johnathan swift, the big joker. even bigger than marco. he's a satirist you know, peoples. a satirist doesn't mean always mean what he says literally.

the african kudo's to you for being so well supported. however we, in america, were not able to watch the movie you provided because of copyright restrictions.

bindaaskshitij
Donator
Donator
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by bindaaskshitij » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:14 am

The_ African believes he lives in utopia. Everything is so perfect with his claims. According to him, we need to stop reproducing and start adopting. I dont agree with this point, but suppose i did agree, you think life would be perfect for everyone involved. Suppose i adopt someone, and i dont like him/her and they dont like me. I cannot obviously keep on living. Now, if they are at fault, things lead to other things and then to an outbreak of violence from one side. if it is them, i expel them, they are not taken in anywhere else because of their record. This happens with just 1 family. Now there are millions of families worldwide, and even if it happened with 1 % of the families, it would be lakhs of people homeless again. That ratio would increase gradually.

But as you say, we do not reproduce, we all just age and die. Who remains alive to carry forward a population, who remains alive to prove the fact that Homo Sapiens Sapiens roamed the Earth once. You can't trust the apes to start evolving again and take another million years for the next human to emerge. you talk about what is happening now. Have you every given a thought about what would happen?

No, of course you haven't. Because you just want to make a point. Verbostiy doesn't make your argument true or acceptable to others.

Also, by the way, the biggest flaw in your argument is that if we dont reproduce, the old people die first, we die next, and the children die after us...What after that...No human alive.

unless you've made some secret plan where you earmark VIP people to be able to reproduce and the common man to suffer. Humans evolved genitalia for a reason. To sustain the population. Overpopulation is a negative by product. but that doesn't mean you stop reproducing.

If you're sick, the doc gives you pills. you feel nauseous or pain. but without them you may not live. That does not mean that you would rather not endure momentary pain and rather curl up and die.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Visser 5
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Visser 5 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:24 pm

You doen't need 3 more Earths, you just need to become our slaves and be moved to the Taxxon and Hork-Bajir home worlds, as well as a few other Yeerk controled planets I could name.
Vote for me! I will fix everything, giving everyone health care, food, a home with high speed internet and a good paying job, & kill everyone who makes more then $1 million per year &give their money to the poorest 10%.

<*)))<
Civilian

Post by <*)))< » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:59 pm

I am not entirely certain of the point of this argument; are you trying to propose this as an actual solution to a serious problem, or are you just presenting a idealistic utopia that would be nice to have?

Because if the latter is the case, I would love world peace. And solving world hunger. And curing cancer. Now there are ideas that I could suggest that move us towards these goals (such as favoring diplomacy over war, in the case of world peace), or there are suggestions that I could make that would completely "solve" the problem (everyone destroys all their weapons and agrees not to fight anymore) but are not feasible or realistic in any sense.

For example, there is a much, much higher probability that I have an actual Yeerk in my head than the likelihood of being successful in convincing all 6+ billion people on Earth not to have children anymore. And enforce it.

(She's a Controller?! Egads!)

...what? Anyway, this:
I would give almost anything to see the world's human population be reduced to somewhere in the millions. I think we should go back to living in very small communities like we did throughout most of our existence as a species.
is just as impossible, unfeasible, and a bit naive. Cities and urban places in general (which I assume are the antithesis of your "small communities") are a natural development in basic economics. Small communities are nice, but certain forms of progress (be it technological, industrial, etc.) naturally encourage the development of larger communities. I could go on and on, but I'll spare you guys the economics lesson. :)

I know that I'm new here, but that's just my two cents. And :lol2: to the Modest Proposal link. Well played, good sir.
I've changed my mind, I do not think I want to see a Lebtin javelin <*)))<

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:34 pm

<*)))< wrote: And :lol2: to the Modest Proposal link. Well played, good sir.
Thanks, Phish. I've found that, when I see Snoopy and The_African in the same political or religious thread, if someone doesn't jump in real fast and start making jokes, the place might explode.

And if anyone points out that I started making jokes before Snoopy got here, let's just blame it on my psychic powers.