Abortion

Talk about politics here.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.

What do you think of Abortion?

Its murder no matter which way you look at it
47%
Its only murder if it has fully developed
33%
There is nothing wrong with it it isn't truly alive
20%

Total votes: 64

sdsnl
Gedd

Re: Abortion

Post by sdsnl » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:52 am

Abortion is taking someone else's life. The fetus didn't choose to die. Even if it is early in its development, can't feel pain, etc., it still has a right to be born. People make so many arguments about it, but actually it's very simple. Can you get yourself to eat a fertilized chicken egg without feeling gross? If not, then your conscience has told you that it is wrong to take a fetus' life. Why else would you feel uncomfortable eating an egg that has a little meat tissue in the yolk? Or just some blood vessels? It's just like eating chicken meat, right?

ifyrabirdimabird
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by ifyrabirdimabird » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:29 pm

Abortion is none of anyone else's business. Murder? Not really, a fetus is a fetus, nothing more nothing less. Can we not live with that nuance? If it is attacked by anyone but the pregnant woman/her doctors, yes, it's murder. However, if a woman wants to be free of it, it isn't murder.

Explanation: if we consider it a person, then we must give it equal rights, and the implied responsibilities of a person (or at least a child). Try this: if you got in a car crash... maybe your fault, maybe not... and someone else in the car crash was severely injured and somehow you were crushed together upon impact. And now this person's body is fused to yours. Don't ask me how, just go with it, it's an analogy. So, random person fused to you. You wake up in the hospital and a doctor tells you that for the next 10 months, you are their life support. You must eat for them, their blood will be filtered through your veins. You breathe for them, you do everything for them. It will get harder and harder, it will be an enormous tax on your body and mind, and there is no guarantee either of you will make it out alive. But don't worry, you'll probably make it. You'll have to quit your job (hopefully your job has paid maternity leave--I mean car-crash-leave. It will be expensive. You'll be violently ill, it will tax all of your organs severely, you'll be immunocompromised, you'll gain a ton of weight, your entire body will change for life. In 10 months (gestation is actually closer to 10 than 9, actually) they will be torn from you in what will likely be the most painful experiences, dangerous too, that you'll ever know.

It's possible to remove them now, safely and painlessly, but they will die.

What should they do? In this analogy, you are not legally required to keep that person alive with your own body. You can't kill them, per se, but you can certainly refuse this crazy intense medical procedure, in which case yes they will die. Obviously you're a saint if you do it, but would people follow you out of the hospital and throw rocks at you if you chose bodily autonomy and chose to remove them from you? I should hope not. The analogy's not perfect but in terms of considering a fetus as a human, I believe it applies. Because the alternative would mean we lessen the woman's rights whenever a woman is pregnant, which is patently absurd and sexist. She is a person before, during, and after any pregnancy, fact. So, what should our car crash victim do?

It's a moot question, because we can sit and argue ethics all day, but in the end (wait for it)...
It's.
Her.
Choice.

Mellokitty
Gedd

Post by Mellokitty » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:51 am

I believe it is murder simply because after conception the fetus will become a person if it is not already unless aborted or miscarried. That being said I believe people should be allowed to abort in a way that would cause no suffering to the fetus in any way.

dswrigley86
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by dswrigley86 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:37 am

People often make the argument that there are times when abortion is necessary to preserve the mother's life so it should be legal. Though the former is true, making it legal based upon this is like saying that homicide should be legal across the board because there are times when one must kill out of self defense.

Walrus
Gedd

Post by Walrus » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:46 pm

I support legalization because, regardless of whether it is legal or not, it will happen. It is better for it to be done properly by a doctor in a hospital than by a back ally procedure

mia_dashell
Gedd

Post by mia_dashell » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:14 pm

The voting options are limited in my opinion. I think abortion is ok in the right context but shouldn't be abused.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:41 pm

MahaSMB wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:44 pm
Allowing abortions will improve the life of females (health, financial, education etc.) which will improve the lives of their family and friends which will improve the lives of people in their community, followed by people in their city and eventually the lives of people in their country and the whole planet.

That, in my opinion, is the strongest argument for pro-choice when you gloss over everything else. It's not an easy decision or one that should be (and in most cases) will be taken lightly, but the fact that the capability to even make that decision exists is what's important.
<Well yes, if you gloss over everything else...>
<Also, in case I did not make this clear enough, I don't think any laws should be passed based on my ideas. At least not the ones posted here.>
<There are some interesting points I read, the first is that everyone who supports abortion have already been born. This points out that abortion will not kill them.>
<Another thought is a post that shows a baby, and it says "Make your choice before I'm conseved, not after", the idea being that every female has the right to make decisions about her own body, yet if she doesn't want to be pregnant, that is what the pill, and the morning after pill are for. They stop the baby from forming before anyone would consider the little one to be alive.>
<Is abortion a form of murder? That depends on who is asking, is it leagaly murder according to humans? That depends on where you live. Is there a god or goddess that judges us? I can't prove that logicly, I wish I could. If there is that you will have to ask him, her, it or them.>
<In each of the situations that I described earlier, even the taped female, they can take the morning after pill... except the female who is pregnant with "the wrong gender", and wants a boy instead of a girl or vose-versa.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20