religion in the animorphs universe

Talk about religion here
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
geoff
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Jake

religion in the animorphs universe

Post by geoff » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:09 am

Was this ever discussed? I'm just starting the series again, do they touch on religion here?

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: religion in the animorphs universe

Post by capnnerefir » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:54 am

It doesn't really come up in Animorphs - which is probably for the best.

I believe KAA and MG are both atheists, and I know that MG has a good rason to bear a grudge against the church. Religion isn't something they really talk about, and if you've read Everworld, it's also pretty clear that it's not something they understand; at all. Any time they do try to involve religion in something, it just comes off as patronizing, insulting, and just downright offensive. They simply have no idea how faith works - particularly the Christian faith - and have no ability to accurately represent it. it's like a blind person trying to describe a painting because they've heard other people talk about it. Usually, they're very good at representing viewpoints that they do not personally agree with - which you see a lot of in Animorphs, when the characters argue about ethics and such. But when it comes to religious stuff, they just can't do it at all. They jus tcan't talk about religion without openly insulting religious people.

There were probably some opportunities to comment on religious matters in Animorphs - with beings like the Ellimist and Crayak running around and all that. It's definitely for the best that they didn't take any of these opportunities, because honestly, I probably would have stopped reading at that point. I've never been fond of authors insulting me, after all.

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by gh astly » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:11 pm

Despite being nonreligious myself, I would probably be annoyed my religions preachiness in Animorphs, too. Also, imagine of it was handled in the same way they handled the logging meat industries. No, thanks.
Also, I can't imagine how Cassie would have come into play in that sort of thing. Despite being pretty much a manifestation of KA's thoughts and ideas (at least, until the ghostwritten period), I always thought of Cassie as a moderate Christian. Don't know why, just did.
By the way, just wanted to point out, Animorphs #28: The Experiment came very close to discussing the topic when Erek said that he knew Moses. I don't know the exact quote, and I'm too lazy to look it up right now. Of course, due to the ghostwriter of that book being utterly incompetent, we had the exact opposite of a religious discussion, with every character not even noticing that he said it and it never being brought up again.
Animorphs: The Abridged Series. Post there so I'm not lonely.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Well, it's just entertainment, folks.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:28 pm

<Actually in one of the books Ax has dinner with one of the Animorph's families (I think it was Cassie's family). (Not in book #6) and he says that one of the families prays before eating, the other family does not.>
<I think one of the families is Jake's, in that case his experiences in book #6 would have lead to this.>
<I believe that it is an Ax book and he is feeling especially home sick in this book.>
<It's not 8, or 18. It could be 28, 38, or 46.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20