Selective reading

Talk about religion here
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
User avatar
Sassy_Cat
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1311
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:23 pm
Gender: [Female][/Female]
Favourite Animorph: Tobias
Location: Third rock from Sol, Orion's Arm, Milkyway galaxy

Selective reading

Post by Sassy_Cat » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:25 am

Most of the insanely religious people I've heard of/met seem to only read the parts of whatever holy book they have that they want to.
Let's start with some of the more obsessive Christians (TM, you are excused from that description. You are devote, it's different.). The ones that constantly scream that homosexuals are going to Hell and should be killed and so on. How are they selectively reading? You ask. Surely they just feel strongly about the rules of their religion?
If they felt so strongly, why are they tattooed? That's banned as just harshly (In a side-notey manner.), and so is wearing clothes of mixed fabrics. Most clothes are of mixed fabrics these days, and this is just a guess, but I bet most Christians have worn mixed fabric clothes at least once throughout their lifetime.
On the tattoos part, well, I've seen plenty of people going into one church or another on Sunday for what I can only guess is church, considering the ones I've seen will go in the beginning of church hours (of course there are ones that go in on a different day for some other activity, not always religious). Or look at the Christians over YouTube that are whining about other religions and are trying to convert everyone (unsuccessfully, seeing as I'm laughing at them, not revering them) via the internet. Some of the have tattoos. So why don't they act a little more devote and stop complaining about the homosexuals and start realizing their own faults of their religion?

The other thing I want to mention is the Islamic terrorists that were horrid enough to scheme up and go through with (Only partially, luckily. There was another part to it, but it was foiled by us Americans *smug for my country*.) 9/11. They say they are acting "out of religion". Well, only one problem. Islamic text is mainly based around peace. This, on the other hand, is not peace. Don't get me wrong, I like the ideas brought by the Muslims, I just find my own views (science, not emo, based atheism) to make more sense. Or maybe the terrorists only used as a terrible excuse to redirect some anger from them to the religion in general.

Still, people only reading the parts of their holy books they want to read. Excuse me as I wait for the backlash.
"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."
- Ray Bradbury

My amazing blog- http://yasreadyas.blogspot.com/

Menno
Prince
Prince
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:19 am
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Re: Selective reading

Post by Menno » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:35 pm

Lots of people are just desperate to control and persecute others, and feel totally righteous while doing it. Some find a religion, some join the police force, and some just have kids.

User avatar
BSerAkafanofblake
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 2020
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:51 pm
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: Selective reading

Post by BSerAkafanofblake » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:10 pm

And I,ll give you a gentleman,s bet that sOme people who read the words ". Wolf in sheep,s clothing "assume the canines are out to get us. And we all know what happens when you do that.
Image

User avatar
Sassy_Cat
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1311
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:23 pm
Gender: [Female][/Female]
Favourite Animorph: Tobias
Location: Third rock from Sol, Orion's Arm, Milkyway galaxy

Re: Selective reading

Post by Sassy_Cat » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:16 am

Menno wrote:Lots of people are just desperate to control and persecute others, and feel totally righteous while doing it. Some find a religion, some join the police force, and some just have kids.
Small dog syndrome? Wanting to take over the world? Sounds about right.
"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."
- Ray Bradbury

My amazing blog- http://yasreadyas.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Posts: 6057
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:42 pm
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Tobias
Location: Somewhere in the realm of time/space

Re: Selective reading

Post by Tobias_Marco » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:22 am

Sassy_Cat wrote:Most of the insanely religious people I've heard of/met seem to only read the parts of whatever holy book they have that they want to.
Let's start with some of the more obsessive Christians (TM, you are excused from that description. You are devote, it's different.).
<First thank you for not putting me in with the people you are complaining about. I do try to actually think before I speak, however sometimes I don't think enough first.>
<As for tattooed Christians, it is possible that they got there tattoos first, than came to Christianity later. Others came to Christianity and somehow skipped over that verse.>
<I don't think I will surprise any of you by saying that I don't have any tattoos.>
<However my mother does.>
<You most likely wouldn't notice them if you saw them, she was diagnosed with breast cancer, the small dots tattooed to her body were put there to line up the laser, so that it could kill the cancer cells better.>
<I don't think God has a problem with that. However I could be wrong.>
<As for wearing mixed fabric clothing...the shirt I am wearing is 100% cotton, however I have more than likely worn mixed fabric clothing within the past year.>
<When it comes to saying that all homosexuals are going to Hell...first of all, we shouldn't be screaming at anybody. The Bible says "they will know you by your love' not "They will know you by how hard you whack them upside the back of the head with this big book that you carry around with you everywhere.">
<Do I believe that God tells us anything about homosexuals in the Bible? Yes, of course I do. A quick internet search will show lots of verses where it says that being a homosexual is wrong, however we are also told to love the person and hate the sin.>
"I love Adam, and I love you Steve, however I am less than thrilled that you will be getting married next weekend. So even though I want both of you to be happy, I will not be coming to your wedding."
<I do not actually know any gay couple named Adam and Steve, I took those names from a joke I heard.>
<Do I know any gay people? Yes. Do I wish they weren't gay? Yes. Do I spend all my time telling them how wrong they are? No. That would not be loving. If every time someone came to your house or you went to their house they spent the whole time telling you how wrong you are and how you are going to Hell and how you should change your wicked ways, well soon enough you would stop wanting to spend any time with this person.>
<I may not know everything about human interaction but at least I know this much.>
<Also I have been on Youtube and seen some of those videos where Christians try to tell you why you should be a Christian, and I have watched videos made by atheists making fun of those Christians. I often watch these videos as research for my posts.>
<I am of the sad belief that there are a lot of stupid Humans in the world, and for every group you can name there are some very stupid members of that group. Well some times the stupid ones are the most vocal. I just watched one the other day where "Christian" was debating the issues with "Atheist" and "Straw man Atheist" The idea being that "Straw man Atheist" was the guy that all us Christians seem to dream up in our heads when we prepare all these canned arguments. Of course the whole time "Atheist" was looking at them both like they were complete idiots. "NO, actually that doesn't work like that. I would never say anything that stupid." he said at about three or four points in the video, or words to that effect.>
<My hope is that I can give INTELLIGENT answers to the real arguments that people are actually having.>
<You may think I am wrong in my beliefs, however I am glad that most of you can at least see that I am not a 'dumb Christian' who is just giving you the same stupid trash you have been hearing for years. Sure I may repeat myself some times, however at least I TRY to make it sound smart.>

<...and yes the "Christian" in one of those videos did ask about where the mass came from for the "big bang" and how we didn't know where that came from. The video said that "We don't know where it came from YET. At least we atheists are willing to look for the answers.">
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

User avatar
ZiraWoods
Donator
Donator
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:29 am
Gender: [Female][/Female]
Favourite Animorph: Cassie
Location: In a Quantum Space Pocket where parallel universes are all in a day's work.

Re: Selective reading

Post by ZiraWoods » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:43 pm

Sassy_Cat wrote: They say they are acting "out of religion". Well, only one problem. Islamic text is mainly based around peace.
O.M.G. MAJOR O.M.G. Thank you so much. You honestly are the first person to say that, outright, no hesitation. Islam is a religion of peace. I know. I am one and proud of it. But the things that people do under the name of religion ticks me off. And then people just assume 'Oh, they're practicing a radical faith.' " No one blames Christianity for the Crusades. And trust me, it wasn't just Muslims who died. This was Jeruselem they were taking over, the Holy Pillar of the three major faiths.

But I have to thank you again. Individual people tend to be the problem, not the religions.
"How and what you see in the world is just a matter of perception," Zira remarked, "There are wonders and miracles standing right next to you if you're willing to believe."

"Allonsy"

User avatar
ZiraWoods
Donator
Donator
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:29 am
Gender: [Female][/Female]
Favourite Animorph: Cassie
Location: In a Quantum Space Pocket where parallel universes are all in a day's work.

Re: Selective reading

Post by ZiraWoods » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:59 pm

Tobias_Marco wrote:
Sassy_Cat wrote:Most of the insanely religious people I've heard of/met seem to only read the parts of whatever holy book they have that they want to.
Let's start with some of the more obsessive Christians (TM, you are excused from that description. You are devote, it's different.).
<First thank you for not putting me in with the people you are complaining about. I do try to actually think before I speak, however sometimes I don't think enough first.>
<As for tattooed Christians, it is possible that they got there tattoos first, than came to Christianity later. Others came to Christianity and somehow skipped over that verse.>
<I don't think I will surprise any of you by saying that I don't have any tattoos.>
<However my mother does.>
<You most likely wouldn't notice them if you saw them, she was diagnosed with breast cancer, the small dots tattooed to her body were put there to line up the laser, so that it could kill the cancer cells better.>
<I don't think God has a problem with that. However I could be wrong.>
<As for wearing mixed fabric clothing...the shirt I am wearing is 100% cotton, however I have more than likely worn mixed fabric clothing within the past year.>
<When it comes to saying that all homosexuals are going to Hell...first of all, we shouldn't be screaming at anybody. The Bible says "they will know you by your love' not "They will know you by how hard you whack them upside the back of the head with this big book that you carry around with you everywhere.">
<Do I believe that God tells us anything about homosexuals in the Bible? Yes, of course I do. A quick internet search will show lots of verses where it says that being a homosexual is wrong, however we are also told to love the person and hate the sin.>
"I love Adam, and I love you Steve, however I am less than thrilled that you will be getting married next weekend. So even though I want both of you to be happy, I will not be coming to your wedding."
<I do not actually know any gay couple named Adam and Steve, I took those names from a joke I heard.>
<Do I know any gay people? Yes. Do I wish they weren't gay? Yes. Do I spend all my time telling them how wrong they are? No. That would not be loving. If every time someone came to your house or you went to their house they spent the whole time telling you how wrong you are and how you are going to Hell and how you should change your wicked ways, well soon enough you would stop wanting to spend any time with this person.>
<I may not know everything about human interaction but at least I know this much.>
<Also I have been on Youtube and seen some of those videos where Christians try to tell you why you should be a Christian, and I have watched videos made by atheists making fun of those Christians. I often watch these videos as research for my posts.>
<I am of the sad belief that there are a lot of stupid Humans in the world, and for every group you can name there are some very stupid members of that group. Well some times the stupid ones are the most vocal. I just watched one the other day where "Christian" was debating the issues with "Atheist" and "Straw man Atheist" The idea being that "Straw man Atheist" was the guy that all us Christians seem to dream up in our heads when we prepare all these canned arguments. Of course the whole time "Atheist" was looking at them both like they were complete idiots. "NO, actually that doesn't work like that. I would never say anything that stupid." he said at about three or four points in the video, or words to that effect.>
<My hope is that I can give INTELLIGENT answers to the real arguments that people are actually having.>
<You may think I am wrong in my beliefs, however I am glad that most of you can at least see that I am not a 'dumb Christian' who is just giving you the same stupid trash you have been hearing for years. Sure I may repeat myself some times, however at least I TRY to make it sound smart.>

<...and yes the "Christian" in one of those videos did ask about where the mass came from for the "big bang" and how we didn't know where that came from. The video said that "We don't know where it came from YET. At least we atheists are willing to look for the answers.">
Have I mentioned how much I love your posts? Well I do. You're a good man with a strong mind and heart and if you don't end up in Heaven I wll be sorely disappointed.

I've mentioned in quite a few posts that I'm Muslim and I find it's very true. People can be stupid. I've seen far too many videos as well, religious debates and politics mostly (my dad laughs at these videos and spends a lot of his time on the comments trying to correct misconceptions of our religion), and one of the general ideas for Idiot Muslims is that we should hate and stay away from anyone who isn't Muslim even though, and I quote from the Quran, it says "Surely those who believe, and those who are Jews, and the Christians, and the Sabians -- whoever believes in God and the Last Day and does good, they shall have their reward from their Lord. And there will be no fear for them, nor shall they grieve."

Here is one that fits Tobias_Marco very well. I hope you don't mind. "...and nearest among them in love to the believers will you find those who say, 'We are Christians,' because amongst these are men devoted to learning and men who have renounced the world, and they are not arrogant."
My grandma is Christian BTW and she's also happy to talk religion with my Dad without anyone feeling that "My religion is better than yours" effect. My Dad is a convert to Islam from Christianity but my Mom is goodness knows how many generations Muslim.
So we are all Brothers and Sisters (yes, from a certain viewpoint that's just weird) and I'm so happy the people I've come across on this forum are so openminded. Thank you.
"How and what you see in the world is just a matter of perception," Zira remarked, "There are wonders and miracles standing right next to you if you're willing to believe."

"Allonsy"

User avatar
Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Posts: 6057
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:42 pm
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Tobias
Location: Somewhere in the realm of time/space

Re: Selective reading

Post by Tobias_Marco » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:23 pm

ZiraWoods wrote: Have I mentioned how much I love your posts? Well I do. You're a good man with a strong mind and heart and if you don't end up in Heaven I will be sorely disappointed.
<Well I don't know if you've said that before, however I think this is the first time I've seen it.>
<Also if I don't get into Heaven I will also be sorely disappointed, even more so than you are.>
ZiraWoods wrote: Here is one that fits Tobias_Marco very well. I hope you don't mind. "...and nearest among them in love to the believers will you find those who say, 'We are Christians,' because amongst these are men devoted to learning and men who have renounced the world, and they are not arrogant."
My grandma is Christian BTW and she's also happy to talk religion with my Dad without anyone feeling that "My religion is better than yours" effect. My Dad is a convert to Islam from Christianity but my Mom is goodness knows how many generations Muslim.
So we are all Brothers and Sisters (yes, from a certain viewpoint that's just weird) and I'm so happy the people I've come across on this forum are so openminded. Thank you.
<Well I am touched, I am glad that we can safely talk about our similarities and differences here.>
<I am always at least a little happy when someone complains about Christians and yet takes the time to say that I don't fit into the group they are complaining about.>
<Don't get me wrong here, I wish there was nothing to complain about, I'm just glad that you can see that I'm cut from a different kind of cloth.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

User avatar
gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant
Posts: 9353
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:06 pm
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Marco
Location: The defrosting wasteland known as Upstate New York

Re: Selective reading

Post by gh astly » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:51 am

+Yes to what Zira said.
Animorphs: The Abridged Series. Post there so I'm not lonely.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Well, it's just entertainment, folks.

User avatar
Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Posts: 6057
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:42 pm
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Tobias
Location: Somewhere in the realm of time/space

Re: Selective reading

Post by Tobias_Marco » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:54 pm

<No to what GH said, but yes to what Zira said.>
<Wait, what?>

<I will admit that there are some verses of the Bible that I tend to ignore, there are verses about trimming the edges of your beard that I don't pay any attenuation to. My wife likes it when I shave, and I have never gotten on anyone's case for shaving or not shaving.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20