Proof that there is a devil

Talk about religion here
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Proof that there is a devil

Post by Tobias_Marco » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:15 am

capnnerefir wrote:Here's the story about that:

When he was younger, he had terrible headaches all the time. My mother wanted him to enjoy his childhood, so she decided to make a deal. She has convinced herself it was with God, but my older brother and I think that's probably not the case. Anyway, she promised that if she got him for his childhood (i.e. no more headaches and other issues), it would get him when he was an adult. Weirdly, the headaches did stop. And it gets weirder.

He's got the most unnatural luck of anyone I've ever met. He's popular at school in spite of being...well, just really, really strange. He's got a girlfriend who is TOTALLY out of his league and just thinks his weirdness is "cute" (according to my sister). And his pure, blind luck is just...well, it's Satan's own luck. This boy once found a discarded lottery ticket in our lawn. It was in perfect condition, completely untouched. He picks it up, scratches it off, and actually wins some money. That's right, the boy won the lotto with a ticket he found in the yard. There was another time my older brother and I were playing poker with his friends. Both of us had been bleeding chips all night. Then the younger one comes wandering past, and we decide to put his luck to use for us. So we pooled our chips together and made him play a few hands. Now, this child was probably 12 at the time. He doesn't know anything about gambling. He doesn't even know how poker works. And he cannot keep a straight face if you held a gun to his head. He played 7 hands, won them all, and doubled our money.

So, given his unholy luck and the way the world just seems to bend to suit his every whim, we assume that our mother actually made a deal with the Devil. We spent yesterday waiting for Lucifer to appear and claim what was rightfully his, but it hasn't happened yet. My brother [i[did[/i] buy a lotto ticket and win nothing, which I guess is something. But we assume he'll be the catalyst of some kind of dark rapture before too long.
<If the devil is real, then does that mean that God is real as well?>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Re: Proof that there is a devil

Post by Current » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:28 pm

Y'know, I can't figure out if you're being serious.
What is not the answer to this question?

nomadsland
Commander
Commander
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by nomadsland » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:46 pm

Who, capn or TM? I read the latter's question to be more of an "if A is real, then wouldn't you naturally conclude B to be real, too?"
Launch forth into the deep

Allons-y!

xenawarriorprincess
Prince
Prince

Post by xenawarriorprincess » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:31 pm

Current wrote:Y'know, I can't figure out if you're being serious.

Thats exactly how i'm feeling as well

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination

Post by Current » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:44 am

nomadsland wrote:Who, capn or TM? I read the latter's question to be more of an "if A is real, then wouldn't you naturally conclude B to be real, too?"
TM, specifically the topic title implying that capn's story proves there is a devil.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:30 pm

<He said that this story proved that there must be a god, or a devil of some kind, so I posted it here.>
<I was half joking, but if you think that this story proves that one of them must exist then I have one less thing to prove to you.>

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination

Post by Current » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:23 pm

I don't think it proves much at all. Unusually lucky people are unlikely, to be sure, but from there to assume a specific supernatural being made a deal with capn's mother is a jump of extraordinary proportions. Plenty of people try to make deals with God or Satan, to no effect at all. To invoke Satan as an explanation, you'd at least need a reason why, of all the people in the world, the Devil would choose capn's mother. Otherwise, the "Satan" hypothesis is not even competing, let alone the most likely one.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:14 pm

<Fair enough.>
<Lets say for the sake of this topic that there is a god of some kind, and that if you believe in this god then you get rewarded after you die (this does not need to be the god of Christianity), and that there is also a devil of some kind.>
<Lets say that the more people the devil leads away from god the happier he is, at least for the time being.>
<Lets also say that this devil has been given the power to give things to people in exchange for their souls.>
<If I go into a store wanting to buy a 'home entertainment center' then I will need money to buy it with, and someone is not going to be able to sell me an 8 track player if I am looking to buy a blueray player (he types knowing that in about 3 to 5 years blueray will be 'old school').>
<Likewise the devil can tell if someone has already 'sold their soul to god', and made it so they can't sell their soul to him, likewise if I have ALREADY sold my soul to the devil, then I have nothing left to give him.>
<Maybe, just maybe I have already sold my soul to the devil and I don't even realize it.>
<It is also possible that the devil is waiting for the price to go down.>
<Not too far from where I work a store closed, some things dropped in price by 50%, other things down to 90% of the lowest marked price.>
<So it is with your soul, maybe 10 years ago the devil tried to buy my soul but couldn't give me a deal that I would take. Then just in these past 2 months (true story) the devil came to me again, he offered me a job where I would be paid $4000 per month. It was too good to be true! However I could tell that it was the devil making this deal with me, so I said 'no'.>
<Would I like to work for $4000 per month? YES!!! However, if the cost is my soul, then that is way too much.>
<I know that he will try to buy my soul again.>
<That is why I walk as close as I can to the Lord Jesus Christ, so that I will know the devil when he comes, and I will be able to read the fine print on the deal that he wants to make with me.>

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination

Post by Current » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:30 pm

Thing I've been wondering, actually: Is the whole "the Devil can offer you a deal for your soul" thing considered something real in mainstream Christianity? Does it appear in the Bible, for example? I mean, I know the whole tempting Jesus in the desert deal, but that was Jesus we're talking about. Satan tempting him fits with his role as the Accuser, testing him as the real Messiah, etc. It just seems to me (but I could be completely wrong) that the deal with the devil is more a literary trope than actual theology. Something like the "nine circles of hell" that were essentially made up by Dante.

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by gh astly » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:17 pm

Dude, if this proves anything, it just proves that there are dumb coincidences.
Animorphs: The Abridged Series. Post there so I'm not lonely.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Well, it's just entertainment, folks.