Wicca

Talk about religion here
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Wicca

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:48 am

<First of all let me say that I have been meaning to post lately, I have, however things keep happening that stop me.>
<One of those things has to do with the Wicca belief system.>
<Fact: I know someone, when she was 8 years old she was told that Wicca is true.>
<Fact: This person was told that Christianity and Wicca can exits as one belief system.>
<Fact: Leviticus 19:26, 19:31, 20:6, Deuteronomy 18:10-13, 1 Corinthians 7:10-16, and Luke 16:13-15 do not support this.>
<Fact: Exodus 22:18 and Leviticus 20:27 REALLY do not support Christianity and Wicca mixing.>
<Fact: This person's mother died. As far as this person has told me, at that time they 'turned away from Christianity' and became a full witch in the Wicca belief system.>
<Fact: I met this person about 4 years ago when they were practicing Wicca.>
<Fact: Three or four years ago this person told me that she was turning away from Wicca and becoming a Christian.>
<Fact: Within the last month this person told me that they have not felt right in Christianity, they are turning back to Wicca.>
<Fact: This person says that 'When I do my candle making I feel more alive'>
<Fact: I see nothing wrong with candle making, it is a good hobby.>
<Fact: This person says that she feels more alive when they are a Wicca then when they are a Christian.>
<Fact: This person told me that they waited 'a month or two' before telling me that they were going back to Wicca because they were not sure how I would react to this news.>
<Fact: Even though it has been at least 2 weeks, I am still not sure what I should say to this person.>
<Fact: I know just as well as anyone that I can not force my beliefs onto another person, and I have never thought for even one moment that I could. I have always tried to convince people to make their own choice to come to Christianity by my display of love and reasoning.>
<Fact: There are many people who I have tried to 'win for Christ' who are not believers in Jesus Christ, and some of them never will be.>
<Fact: Exodus 22:18 and Leviticus 20:27 both say that anyone who is a witch should be put to death, that their blood will be on their own hands. The reason being so that this evil does not spread (much like if you were told you had cancer, you would want to kill it sooner, rather then latter.).>
<Fact: I am not saying that I am going to kill anybody.>
<Fact: My Wicca friend says that magic and miracles are the same thing. That Moses parting the red sea is the same thing as a witch using her magic. That Moses talking to God through a burning bush is the same thing as her talking to her god through tarot cards.>

<Please note that in the above I have tried my best to state just the facts as I understand them, not my reaction to those facts.>
<What are your thoughts on Wicca?>
<What are your thoughts on how this will/might affect my friendship with this person?>
<What would you do if you were a Christian and someone close to you told you that they were a Wicca?>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Re: Wicca

Post by Current » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:31 am

A relevant point: what makes you think that what the Old Testament calls a witch is the same as what a Wiccan calls a witch? In Wicca, a witch is just another term for a Wiccan. In the OT, well, I dunno, but it's certainly not that, considering it was written a couple millennia before Wicca even existed. I've heard that the term "witch" is a mistranslation from "poisoner", but I have no idea if that's true.

In any case, I suspect your friend hasn't entered any deals with the devil to receive magical powers or similar, so it's misleading to think of her in terms of Biblical witchcraft. Your friendship with her should not necessarily be any different than what it would be with any other non-Christian.

As for my thoughts on Wicca, I don't find intrinsically any more or any less silly than Christianity. But that's me, you probably could've guessed it.
What is not the answer to this question?

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:29 pm

<I find it funny that you should say that because the Wicca people that I have talked to in the last few weeks, including a 'Watcher' who calls himself Dragon, Wicca is older then the oldest verse in the OT.>
<I keep telling them that I don't think it is true.>
<It seems that some Bible verses have found there way into their Wicca Bible, yet they will not admit that these verses were in the Holy Bible of the Jews BEFOR they were in this Wicca Bible.>

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Current » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:23 pm

I've heard that before, but it's simply not true. Wicca was founded in the twentieth century, claiming to be a continuation of a pre-Christian pagan cult that didn't actually exist. Now, Wicca is inspired in older pagan religions, to be sure, but that doesn't make it an old pagan religion itself. Doesn't even mean they have the same beliefs or rituals.
What is not the answer to this question?

Mtn_otter
Aristh
Aristh
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by Mtn_otter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:24 am

As I understand it, the word the Old Testament uses that gets translated to "witch" actually more closely means "caster of evil spells" in Hebrew. And that's an important thing to keep in mind, since, until relatively recently, anything that people couldn't immediately explain would be attributed to either magic or a deity(there are some cases where the two are the same thing, but that's not relevant to this topic). It wasn't that long ago that a village doctor's medicines, if they worked, would be called magical. Of course, for a long period of time in Europe, the standard "medicine" for any particular ailment was prayer, but that's beside to point.

The concept of miracles and magic being the same thing is something I've heard before, but it's a fairly obvious idea when you look at it from the outside, so there's probably no particular person who we can say came up with it first.

From a logical standpoint, there's no particular reason I can see to end your friendship with this person over the fact that they are a Wiccan. I sincerely doubt that she has made any sort of deal with a preternatural being of any sort, so if you enjoy her company, then there is nothing against it. As long as her religion doesn't make her want to harm you(despite what some may say, sacrificing Christian babies is not a common pastime among Wiccans), then that shouldn't matter. But then, I'm about as secular as people come, so that's just the way I look at it.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:37 pm

<Exodus 22:18 and Leviticus 20:27 say that if I find a witch I should arrange to have him or her killed by throwing stones at them.>
<News headline: Woman killed outside of town!
Friend clams that she was a witch and her blood is on her own hands!.>
<Don't worry folks, I'm not going to let that headline make the news.>
<At least if it does it will not be my fault.>

The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by The_Brigadier » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:41 pm

Wicca? In all honesty, I think that's some mild stuff, like weed or alcohol.

In the country my parents were born in, there are lots of mountains and rainforests. In the wilderness, the witches perform their rituals away from prying eyes. They put curses on those who spurn them, bless those who ask the favor, make medicines, make love potions, practice divination, etc. They are also said to practice human sacrifice. No, they aren't Satanists. Their religion is a hybrid of African and Native American beliefs. They're all over the Caribbean You honestly couldn't pay me enough to wander through those rainforests. African-American magic is like acid or coke: hardcore, dangerous, and terrifying.

On a side note, Jews have their own branch of magic: Kabbalah. King Solomon himself was said to found it and was apparently the greatest practioner of it. He even had a ring that tamed demons.

If a friend of mine did convert to Wicca, I personally wouldn't give a rat's ass. Wiccans are gentle and harmless. I can think of much worse than Wiccans.
♫When playin' Jazz you always has a welcome mat, cuz everybody digs a swingin' kat!♫

BSerAkafanofblake
Admiral
Admiral

Post by BSerAkafanofblake » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:53 pm

Uh for some reason this reminds me of hp.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:22 am

There is a reason for that; Harry Potter is a Wicca, that is the belief system that the books are biased on.
As a Christian I believe that the devil is trying to trap us, and as anyone will tell you, a trap works best if you have bate, and that bate needs to be as tempting as possible. Part of that is making it look as un-dangerous as possible.
When you set a mouse trap, what do you use as bate; a piece of meat, a piece of cheese, some peanut butter or a rusty thumb tack?
That tack looks dangerous so the mouse isn’t going to go for it, however food is not dangerous. The mouse is going to go for the food.
Let’s look at this like a chemistry problem:
Wicca beliefs tell you that they can mix with anybody and anything, kind of like hydrogen. Hydrogen has an outer electron shell with only 1 electron, so it says “Hey look at me, I’m willing to bond with anybody!” and you can make some very interesting combinations with hydrogen, or Wicca. (H2O being a big favorite)
Christianity on the other hand is more like a noble gas, say argon. Argon has a full outer shell, it can’t take in anymore, so it says “That’s alright, I don’t want to mix with anybody else, and I am NOT bonding with anyone.” In this way argon keeps itself pure, and might seem a little stuck up at times.
Catholics on the other hand try to tell you that they are Christians, however they are willing to mix with whatever people think is cool at the time, and that’s one of many reasons I don’t see them as Christians. I have no idea what kind of atom I would make them in this analogy, just not what they say they are.
Now you can have a lot fun with the many combinations that you can make with hydrogen, however the noble gases are very cool in their own right just by themselves, most of them, argon included are used in lights, so these noble gases are the light of the world. Don’t believe me? Check out those swirly light bulbs, they have argon in them. Krypton, another noble gas is used in lasers.
Do I get lonely at times? Yes. Do I want to mix with others and bond to some special someone? Yes. However I want us to be compatible, and as I type this it has been more than 100 days since my wife has called this place ‘home’.

Sam_Vimes
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by Sam_Vimes » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:31 am

I've known people who've used some form of witchcraft, and say the desired result happened. Coincidences happen, sure. But I've never known anyone who has got what they wanted from prayer.