The Great Flood

Talk about religion here
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: The Great Flood

Post by Tobias_Marco » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:20 pm

<How about if I say that I may not be as open minded as I should be, but I am at least close minded to keep my brain from falling out.>
<At the same time I will try to change my mind about something in the next few months, and I will let you know when that happens.>
<I trust that we can now find a way to see each other's points more clearly.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Current » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:44 pm

If that's what you truly believe, then it is. If not, it's not. No point in telling me about it, the only one keeping you accountable is yourself. And reality.

And one piece of advice. Don't change your mind because of a sense of duty, or because you think it justifies you, or whatever. Do it because you think that you were wrong. That's how you know you are doing it right.
What is not the answer to this question?

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:31 pm

<Very wise words there.>
<Anyway I read something the other day "I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.' It would fit in such a case.>
There are many layers of rock all over the world. These rock are separated into layers one on top of the other in what is called "rock strata".
Can we tell how old the earth is by looking at this strata?
The layers of rock on the bottom would have to have been laid down before the layers on top. But how long before? This is one area that Creationists and Evolutionists disagree on.
Evolutionists believe that each layer represents a period of time.. or an era. A layer may have been laid down over a hundred or even a few thousand years.
Though it seems reasonable at first to think that you can look at the numerous layers of rock to estimate the age of the earth (estimating that each strata is hundreds or thousands of years old), those who do so will run into many problems.
First, we don't know how long it took for those layers to form. We weren't there. We can't assume a steady rate of accumulation based on how long it takes today.
If there was a world wide flood (as described in Genesis) then many layers of soft sediments would stratify at one time. These soft sediments would later harden as the waters receded and form rock.
If there was a flood, then you could have what appeared to be "millions of years" of strata formed in a period of a few months.
The study of such formations is called Catastrophic Geology. There are many excellent creationist books on this subject. A few are listed below:
1. "Field Studies in Catastrophic Geology" by Carl R. Froede Jr.
2. "Sea Floor Sediments and the Age of the Earth" by Dr. Larry Vardiman
3. "Studies in Flood Geology" by John Woodmorappe
There are also some excellent videos:
1. "Biblical Geology: Properly Understanding the Rocks" by Dr Tas Walker
2. "Geologic Evidences for Very Rapid Strata Deposition in the Grand Canyon (DVD)" by Dr Steven Austin
3. "The Geology Book" by Dr John D Morris
f you look at the Grand Canyon you will see thousands of layers of sedimentary rock. The Creationist and the Evolutionist can both look at the same evidence but come to different conclusions.
The evolutionist who believes in an ancient earth will look at these layers of rock and determine that these layers formed slowly over millions of years.
The Creationist who believes the Bible looks at the same evidence but comes to a different conclusion as to how these layers were formed. The Creationist knows that these layers could not have formed over millions of years. As there is little or no erosion between the layers. This is consistent with all the layers being laid down at the same time (the flood).
The Creationist interpretation is that the Grand Canyon was formed as a result of the flood. The receding flood waters would cut through the soft sediments, leaving the canyon. These soft sediments later hardened into their present form.
The canyon may have formed while it was solidifying, as the waters receded (possibly very quickly) it would cut through these layers like butter. Some people claim that it took a little bit of water (the small river) a lot of time (millions of years) to form the canyon. But it could have been the opposite.
A lot of water (the flood) and a little bit of time.
For more information read:
1)"Grand Canyon: A Different View" Compiled by Tom Vail
2) "Grand Canyon: Monument to Catastrophe" by Dr Steven Austin
Videos:
"The Grand Canyon Catastrophe: New Evidence of the Genesis Flood" by Keziah & American Portrait Films
"The Grand Canyon: Monument to the Flood" (VHS)
"Mount St. Helens: Explosive Evidence for Catastrophe" (VHS) Dr Steve Austin
"The Grand Canyon: A Biblical View by Dr. Andrew A. Snelling
"Geologic Evidences for Very Rapid Strata Deposition in the Grand Canyon (DVD)" by Dr Steven Austin
"If there was a global Flood around 5,000 years ago, no living thing should be older than that. There are still some uncertainties with tree-ring dating, which is by no means absolute (for example, trees can form more than one ring per year). Nevertheless, it is worth noting that the maximum tree ring ages for living trees fall just within this range. Apart from the biblical Flood, there seems no reason why, if certain trees are capable of living for 4,000 years, some should not have lasted much longer ("The Oldest Tree in the World" by Carl Kerby, Creation Magazine 17(3):26, 27).
Mt. St. Helen’s erupted in 1980. Several hundred feet of sediment was laid down in a few days.. not millions of years. These layers were stratified in the same way that the Grand Canyon is.

An examination of the trees at Spirit Lake show that waterlogged trees often sank in an upright position and could be fossilized in much the same way
(pg 102 "The Young Earth" by John D. Morris, Ph.D. Masterbooks, 1994).
<Let me also ask you this: What is the oldest written text? How do we know it is that old?>
<The Bible says that after Cain killed his brother he took his wife and went and started building cities.>
<Just stop for a moment and ask yourself: If God made human beings 6000 years ago, and gave them the knowledge of how to build cities, is there any way to disprove this?>

BSerAkafanofblake
Admiral
Admiral

Post by BSerAkafanofblake » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:47 pm

uh are you guys trying to write posts or Harry potter spin offs? *gets sheild in case capn reads thread.*
Sorry the post are kinda long.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:44 am

<...Actually I was trying to re-write "In Search of Lost Time" by: Marcel Proust.>
<That book has 4,211 pages.>