The Great Flood

Talk about religion here
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Re: The Great Flood

Post by Current » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:34 pm

...yeah, I have that effect on people.
What is not the answer to this question?

The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by The_Brigadier » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:03 pm

I can see that.
♫When playin' Jazz you always has a welcome mat, cuz everybody digs a swingin' kat!♫

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:11 am

Current wrote:
“My objection is that no indication of that is in the text. The devil performs a miracle that is on an entirely different level from curing disease or walking on water. I'm fairly sure humans will be reviving people generally considered to be dead before we can pull off tetradimensional motion (excluding flow of time), if we ever do. Yet it doesn't get even a passing mention. It's completely ignored in favour of the relatively trivial "showing all the kingdoms of the world at the same time" aspect of it.”

<The Bible does say that the Devil will be able to perform miracles. I am not denying that.>
<Also giving the posts that came after the one I just quoted I will give you that multiple stories that all tell of a great flood by themselves do not prove that such a flood did or did not happen.>
<As for if dragons are real or not, it is my belief that someone uncovered dinosaur bones, hundreds, if not thousands of years before anyone ever came up with the word “dinosaur” and called them “dragons” people painted pictures of what these dragons looked like, and as stories got told and people painted pictures based on pictures and not based on the bones, these ‘dragons” became what we read about in stories today. Then someone else found some dinosaur bones and made up the word dinosaur.>

Current wrote:
“If geologists determined that a worldwide flood with leave certain traces, and what is found is different, would you accept that as evidence that the flood myths are mistaken?”

AlbinoBlackSheep wrote:
“Yes and no. I would look at the new information and try to see if it's logical. However, I will not abandon the stories of hundreds of cultures for the new discovery. As much as science tries to find all the answers, it still cannot make me ignore the basic legend of the watery travesty told by hundreds of completely unrelated peoples.”

<That would defiantly get me to re-think my views on things. As AlbinoBlackSheep said, we must look at things logical and see how well it all fits together.>
<If I saw enough evidence that proved me wrong, I would like to think that I would be wise enough to change my views.>

<Having read your posts I have polled everyone in the world named John and 56% of them say they like blue, 14% like green, and 3.1415% say they have invisible monkeys on their shoulders.>
<I have a hypothesis, biased only on AlbinoBlackSheep’s posts to this topic, I believe that she (as indicated in her profile to the side of all her posts, this user is a she, not a he) is under the age of 13. I make this guess based on how little of Current’s posts she seems to understand.>
<This hypothesis is testable; all we need is for AlbinoBlackSheep to take the current year and subtract the years of her birth. Then take this number (a number that we will call “Her age”) and see if her age is “greater then”, “less then” or “equal to” 13.>

<If her age is equal to, or greater then 13, then my hypothesis is wrong.>
<However if her age is less then 13, then I am correct, and my hypothesis is proven true.>
<Does that make scene?>

EDIT: <Having looked around for support of this idea, I can find no proof one way or the other for the age of the user who calls them self 'AlbinoBlackSheep'.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by The_Brigadier » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:50 pm

biased only on AlbinoBlackSheep’s posts to this topic, I believe that she (as indicated in her profile to the side of all her posts, this user is a she, not a he) is under the age of 13.
Mr. TM, I'm sixteen. :'(

Do I honestly sound like a child? :(

Were you being sardonic in your response to the conversation that Current and I had? :(
♫When playin' Jazz you always has a welcome mat, cuz everybody digs a swingin' kat!♫

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Wed May 18, 2011 10:02 am

<I made my guess based on how little you seem to be understanding.>
<I have found that it is a good idea to be willing to admit that you could be wrong.>
<In this case I was wrong.>

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:33 pm

<Sorry that I haven't posted in a while, but I have been kind of busy.>

<I just bought a new book, and I wanted to share some of it with you.>

The Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia
Copyright Kingfisher Publications Plc 2006
ISBN: 978-0-7534-5886-0
Pages 14-17

“Hydrothermal Vents: in areas where the seabed is spreading, water percolates through cracks in the ocean flood. When it meets hot rock, it is heated and dissolves minerals. The water then rises through cracks in the rocks and gushes out of hydrothermal vents at temperatures as high as 662 F.”

“Continental Drift: The Atlantic Ocean is widening at a rate of 1-1.5 inches a year. The ocean floor in parts of the Pacific is spreading at up to 4 inches a year. This might seem slow, but it can result in spreads of several thousand miles over hundreds of millions of years.”

“Continental Crust: Ocean crust is a layer of dense basalt just 3.7-4.3 mi. (6-7km) thick, perhaps with sediments on top. Continental crust is much thicker, averaging 18.6 mi. (30km) and reaching 37.3 mi. (60km) in mountain ranges. Because it is mostly silica-rich granite and sediment, it is less dense than ocean crust, and it floats like a scum on the Earth's surface. Like a floating iceberg, the higher the mountains, the deeper the continent's roots sink into the mantle.
Ocean crust is continually being created and destroyed, so its sediment is relatively new. But continental material has been accumulating ever since the Earth's surface solidified.”

“Tectonic plates do not move rigidly across the Earth's surface. Continents can stretch as they move. When this happens, the crust becomes thinner and the surface level drops.”

<This may not scream at you that the Lord God of Christianity is real, but it does to me.>
<Consider this, the Atlantic Ocean is widening at a rate of 1-1.5 inches a year. The ocean floor in parts of the Pacific is spreading at up to 4 inches a year. Add to that the fact that Continents can stretch as they move. And you get one conclusion, the Earth's circumference is increasing.>

http://www2.journalnow.com/lifestyles/2 ... r-1131993/

“Q: In a recent Parade magazine, someone asked Marilyn Vos Savant, "If I placed a 25,000-mile-long metal band snugly around the Earth, then cut the band and spliced another 50 feet to it, can I get my finger between the new length band and the Earth surface?" Vos Savant answered by saying an 8-foot-tall basketball player could walk under it. She added that the circumference with 50 feet added was irrelevant to the distance a metal band would be above the surface.
This does not make a lick of sense to me. There is no way that adding only 50 feet to the band length could raise the elevation 8 feet above the surface. Maybe Vos Savant didn't understand the writer's question. Or, maybe I don't understand her answer, which is most likely. Anyway, if Sam will explain this to me and perhaps others who are equally as challenged in the field of geometry we will all appreciate it.
G.E.B.
A: SAM is also challenged in advanced mathematics, as certain teachers at N.C. State University could attest. But Vos Savant apparently knew what she was talking about.
"Increasing the circumference of a band around a sphere by a fixed amount will always give the same amount of space between the sphere and the band regardless of the size of the sphere," according to an article on the HPN Technologies website that looked at the math behind Vos Savant's answer.
Increasing the circumference of any size circle by 50 feet will increase the "head room" around that circle by 50 divided by twice pi, approximately 6.28, according to the article. The result would be about 7.96 feet. So the 8-foot-tall basketball player might have to slump to get under it, but not by much.”

<This means that with the circumference of the Earth increasing so does the area of the Earth's surface, this explains how all the water on Earth can't cover the whole Earth, but 4 thousand years ago it could.>

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination

Post by Current » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:57 pm

Tobias_Marco wrote: <This may not scream at you that the Lord God of Christianity is real, but it does to me.>
<Consider this, the Atlantic Ocean is widening at a rate of 1-1.5 inches a year. The ocean floor in parts of the Pacific is spreading at up to 4 inches a year. Add to that the fact that Continents can stretch as they move. And you get one conclusion, the Earth's circumference is increasing.>
Really? Because the conclusion I get is that tectonic plates shift around and aren't perfectly rigid.

Question by the way. If the circumference is increasing, and along with it the radius, without deforming the Earth*, where does the extra matter for that come from?

*If the Earth is being deformed, then the whole point is entirely irrelevant. An increase in circumference doesn't imply the same increase in surface as you'd get with a sphere that remains spherical and increases in radius, which is the key to Vos Savant's argument (replacing sphere with circle). You would get some tiny increase in surface as you deviate from the perfect sphere, but the difference between the Earth right now and a perfect sphere is so minimal (0.17% according to wiki) that it cannot account for such a change in surface.
“Q: In a recent Parade magazine, someone asked Marilyn Vos Savant, "If I placed a 25,000-mile-long metal band snugly around the Earth, then cut the band and spliced another 50 feet to it, can I get my finger between the new length band and the Earth surface?" Vos Savant answered by saying an 8-foot-tall basketball player could walk under it. She added that the circumference with 50 feet added was irrelevant to the distance a metal band would be above the surface.
This does not make a lick of sense to me. There is no way that adding only 50 feet to the band length could raise the elevation 8 feet above the surface. Maybe Vos Savant didn't understand the writer's question. Or, maybe I don't understand her answer, which is most likely. Anyway, if Sam will explain this to me and perhaps others who are equally as challenged in the field of geometry we will all appreciate it.
G.E.B.
A: SAM is also challenged in advanced mathematics, as certain teachers at N.C. State University could attest. But Vos Savant apparently knew what she was talking about.
"Increasing the circumference of a band around a sphere by a fixed amount will always give the same amount of space between the sphere and the band regardless of the size of the sphere," according to an article on the HPN Technologies website that looked at the math behind Vos Savant's answer.
Increasing the circumference of any size circle by 50 feet will increase the "head room" around that circle by 50 divided by twice pi, approximately 6.28, according to the article. The result would be about 7.96 feet. So the 8-foot-tall basketball player might have to slump to get under it, but not by much.”
At least this checks out. I have the equations, if you want them.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:15 am

<I always TRY to have things that check out.>
<I remembered reading Marilyn Vos Savant's answer to that question and did an on-line search for info on it so that I would have some kind of "Non-Christian proof" that you couldn't say was bias.>
<As for where this extra matter comes from, I am not 100% sure, however I think that the Earth's core may at one time been more dense, then after the flood the Lord God promised that he would never flood the whole Earth ever again, then he used some of the core mass of the Earth to build up the surface area.>

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination

Post by Current » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:02 am

So your hypothesis needs to invoke divine intervention, making the whole exercise pointless. Why not just say that God miraculously changed the amount of water on Earth, rather than bother with this weird growing Earth thing, if both ideas require violations of natural law anyway?

As an aside. While looking for unbiased sources is quite commendable (and generally a good idea), with stuff like this you're better off just showing the math, if you have it.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:24 am

<Actually the "growing Earth thing" is NOT a "violations of natural law", I found it in The Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia.>
<As for showing the math, I did quote the book as saying how many inches the Earth is getting bigger per year.>
<What more do you want?>

<Find, here it is, I am really Professor Stephen W. Hawking, I believe in the Bible, and I am trying to show you the truth in terms that you can understand.>
<You didn't buy that for a second, did you?>
<I didn't think so.>
<I have read many topics even here on AFF where people have shown all the math and it gets tossed out because the person reading it didn't understand it.>
<What is the point of showing my work if you just toss it out anyway?>
<I am showing you my work and it just isn't enough.>
<This is a book that talks about how humans evolved from single celled life forms, and I am showing you that even it points to a creator and you are treating it like horse crap!>
<What you are really doing is discarding ANY source, no matter what it is because you are unwilling or unable to face that you could be wrong.>
<I AM WILLING TO BE WRONG!!!>
<I just have yet to see proof that I am.>