Past lives and Reincarnation

Talk about religion here
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Past lives and Reincarnation

Post by Tobias_Marco » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:41 pm

Hinduism and Buddhism belive in past lives, Christianity does not.
Both can not be right.
What do you think?
Do we have only one shot to get it right or do we get as many chances as we need?
Keep in mind that even if Hinduism and Buddhism could both be right, Christianity and eather one of them can't both be right.
One way of looking at it is this.
What if there were only one true religion, and all the others are false. (Maybe Christianity is one of the false religions and Hinduism is the one true religion)
There is a god who is trying to get you to choose the true religion and an evil one who doesn't care what one you pick, so long as it isn't the real one.

What if you are in a strange nation that you have never been to before.
During your visit I showed you a table full of coins, each coin is worth the value of a meal.
There is a place to get food nearby, and you are hungry.
The problem is that for every coin on the table there is a person who is telling you that their coin is the only real one on the table and all the others are fake coins.
Each coin looks diffrent, some look very much alike, but yet very diffrent from some of the other coins on the table.
You see someone standing near by, he tells you that it is true that one of the coins is real, and that you may choose any coin that you want and it will be given to you.
He also tells you that if you choose the real coin then you can get a meal, but if you choose one of the false coins then you will be thrown in jail for the rest of your life.

This is why I believe that we must choose very carefully what we choose to believe.
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Re: Past lives and Reincarnation

Post by Current » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:26 pm

And then there's a guy who tells you that actually none of the coins is worth anything and you'll have to get your food some other way. I'm that guy. Or girl. Doesn't really matter. Point is, if you ask me, they're all wrong.
What is not the answer to this question?

<*)))<
Civilian

Post by <*)))< » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:02 pm

Tobias_Marco wrote:He also tells you that if you choose the real coin then you can get a meal, but if you choose one of the false coins then you will be thrown in jail for the rest of your life.

This is why I believe that we must choose very carefully what we choose to believe.
This is a slightly reworked version of Pascal's Wager.

My friend once made what I think is a very wise comment:
I personally believe that there is a God. I am Christian because this is the way I was raised, so I am familiar with it and enjoy the way I have received God's teachings. However, I also believe that God acts more as a removed creator than an active designer. In other words, yes, evolution is real, the big bang happened, but perhaps God just brought the whole universe into existence and then left it to its own devices. He doesn't care if you're gay/straight/Christian/Muslim/atheist (yes, even those that renounce his existence)/etc. If you are a good person and try to do good in your life, you can go to heaven.

Basically, no one religion is correct. They are all just different human interpretations of how to be a "good person." It is actually extremely self-centered to say that one religion is clearly "more correct" than another, since they all believe that they have the "true word of God," but they are also all filtered through human (mis)interpretation.

So if you want to be Christian, that's fine. If you're atheist, that's fine too. Who cares? Do you really think that God cares that much about a child talking back to his parents?
I've changed my mind, I do not think I want to see a Lebtin javelin <*)))<

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:51 pm

<Technicly that isn't being a Christian.
Being a Christian means believing that the ONLY way to get into Heaven is by accsepting in Jesus Christ.

What if I were floating along a river and I came to a 500 meter water fall.
If I say that the water fall is only a 3 foot drop and I will not get hurt, then it does not change anything.
Now if I just float there I will go over the falls, if I swim towards it then it will happen faster.
Realizing how much trouble I am in and how powerful the water is I start swimming away from the falls.
The good news is that I won the gold medal for swimming in every compatition in the history of the world, so I should be good. Then I realize that the water is still to strong for me.
However there is a man in a speedboat, his name is Jesus.
I can choose to try to do this on my own and go over the edge, or I can grab the rope that the man is throwing my way and let him take me to shore.
For every second that I pause I get closer to the edge, for every moment that I swim closer to the edge I come closer to death.
If I grab the rope and pull myself closer to Jesus the closer I come to life.
He can get us far enough from the falls that we can be safe.

EDIT: Deuteronomy 21:18-21 is talking about a child that is being VERY stubborn and rebellious and is going down a very bad life path. One who never listens to what his or her mom and dad have to say.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination

Post by Current » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:56 pm

Tobias_Marco wrote:<Technicly that isn't being a Christian.
Being a Christian means believing that the ONLY way to get into Heaven is by accsepting in Jesus Christ.
Curious definition. Christian usually means "follower of Christ" or "someone who believes Jesus Christ was the Son of God". Amongst those people, there are conflicting ideas of exactly what you need to do to get into heaven.
Deuteronomy 21:18-21 is talking about a child that is being VERY stubborn and rebellious and is going down a very bad life path. One who never listens to what his or her mom and dad have to say.>
It says nothing about a "bad life path". You seem to assume that a child that is rebellious, stubborn, etc. is always going to turn out bad. And not only bad, but bad enough that he or she needs to be killed.
And that's not even taking into account that the parent's judgement might be wrong. It has happened before.

<*)))<
Civilian

Post by <*)))< » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:02 pm

Tobias_Marco wrote:<Technicly that isn't being a Christian.
No. Not to reiterate what Current said, but what you are defining is a very particular branch of Christianity, not all Christians.

For example, I know that Evangelical Christians believe exactly what you said. As a single counter example (there are many, many more) Catholics believe that you have to do more than just believe in Jesus; you also have to be a good and moral person, among other things.

Also, I understand what you were trying to do, but I fail to see the convincing nature of your story with the waterfall. I see that I am supposed to read the story and reach the conclusion that in order to be saved, I must follow Jesus. However, I could also replace all instances of "Jesus" with "Satan" and similarly conclude that I must follow the devil instead.

I imagine that that was not the point. :P

matthew
Aristh
Aristh
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by matthew » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:19 pm

My definition of Christian is someone who says he s a Christian.

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination

Post by Current » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:13 pm

While I'm all for inclusiveness, isn't that a bit too broad? You can't take someone who, say, believes most of Jesus' message was wrong and actively decides not to base morality on his teachings, and call them a Christian just because they claim to be one. Words need some meaning to be of any use.

<*)))<
Civilian

Post by <*)))< » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:38 pm

Current wrote:While I'm all for inclusiveness, isn't that a bit too broad? You can't take someone who, say, believes most of Jesus' message was wrong and actively decides not to base morality on his teachings, and call them a Christian just because they claim to be one. Words need some meaning to be of any use.
How metaphysical of you. Fan of philosophy? ;)

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination

Post by Current » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:56 am

To a certain extent, yes.
But in this particular situation, I speak as a fan of ease of communication.