Evolution vs. Intelligent Design

Talk about religion here
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.

Evolution vs. Intelligent Design

Life on earth is a product of random chance
4%
Life on earth is a result of Natural Selection
56%
Life on earth was created by a sentient being
22%
Somewhere in between (God helped evolution along… God created the world through evolution… etc.)
19%
I’m not sure
No votes

Total votes: 27

arbix
Gedd

Re: Evolution vs. Intelligent Design

Post by arbix » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:21 pm

Gah! I had a long post typed out with a ton of concise points and I somehow logged myself out and lost it.
So here's the gist of it:
Theoretically, if god is omnipotent he could've created the rays of light between the stars and the place that the earth would be at the point that the rays reached it.
An alternative explanation for this is that he created the universe for fun, then later got bored again and Spent a week creating the earth within the universe that already existed.
memories are stored in the brain. an omnipotent being could create a person with a lifetime of memories that were not real.
Arguing that a omnipotent god could not do something is a fruitless venture, as one can always counter that there is an explanation that is simply beyond our comprehension.
The presence of water elsewhere in the universe could be explained as proof that god wants us to fend for ourselves and expand to other worlds before our own sun destroys itself.
If life on earth is a test, as some believe, then there is no reason for god to have revealed his existence to us. Doing so only serves to contaminate the results of said test.
Anyone claiming that there is proof that god exists beyond the simple fact that the universe somehow came into Resistance is delusional.
While there is plenty of proof that god as he is defined in the bible does not exist, all of it can be refuted by arguing that the evidence was created by god to allow people to choose what they believe.

Sorry for how unorganized this is.
If you criticize me for my lack of capitalization, I will destroy you and the post in which you have criticized my usage.
If the previous line is not in accordance with the forum rules disregard it.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:51 pm

<I believe that God created human beings without memories of a fake past, but he did give them knowlege of how to do things, such as walk, talk and make buildings.>
<In the first part of the Bible, after Cain killed his brother, it says that he took his wife and they went away and built a city.>
<It is possable that others may have gone with them, I don't know.>
<and yes, Cain did marry his sister, Adam and Eve had many children who we are not told about and at that point nobody had told them yet that it was wrong to do so.>
<Also at that point DNA was "more perfect" then it is now and so it wasn't as bad.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

BSerAkafanofblake
Admiral
Admiral

Post by BSerAkafanofblake » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:51 pm

I say the last option on the poll. Who knows? Maybes he made the dinosaurs morph into birds. Now THAT would be an Interesting book series.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:00 pm

<The Christian viewpoint is less cool when it comes to what happened to the dinosaurs, before Noah's flood the atmosphere was a lot thicker, and much more humid, kind of like what you see when you watch those dinosaur movies and you see them in a jungle. Then God told Noah to gather two of every animal, and God made sure that they all showed up. I believe that Noah brought babies onto the ark, their parents would have traveled the great distance (in some cases) to the ark and then the babies were born and brought into the ark (or in some cases the eggs), then God took all this water out of the sky and flooded the Earth with it, after the flood the atmosphere was a lot less dense, and therefore not as good at supporting larger animals.>
<Larger creatures such as many of the dinosaurs had heart attacks and died before they could get big enough to reproduce, in some cases this may have happened in one or two generations, some may have lasted a little longer.>
<Other, smaller dinosaurs may have gone extinct the same way the dodo bird did, hunted by Humans.>

Blu
Rampant Drunk
Rampant Drunk

Post by Blu » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:25 pm

So God, who is omnipresent (etc...) told Noah to bring dinosaurs onto the ark, knowing full well that they would just die when they left it?

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:30 pm

<Yes, there is actually good reasons that he chose to do this. First of all it could serve as an added reminder of the price of bad choices; the Bible says that the price of sin is death, in this case the deaths of the dinosaurs.>
<There is also reason to believe that two different dinosaurs were used as illustrations in the book of Job.>
<Job was a man who served the Lord God and was tempted by the Devil yet held on. God actually spoke to him and told Job to consider two very strong creatures, one of them called a Leviathan, that is believed by some to have been a dinosaur, whatever it was, Job had seen them for real.>

Blu
Rampant Drunk
Rampant Drunk

Post by Blu » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:30 am

So non-bird dinosaurs were sinners, but mosquitos, parasites, etc... weren't?

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:59 pm

<That does seem to be the logical conclusion doesn't it?>
<However think about it this way; if I decided to kill you, one of the consequences of that choice would be your death. (Lets pretend for the sake of this that I actually knew where you lived, that I really did want to kill you and I knew a way that I could kill you that you couldn't defend.)>
<Even if I wasn't trying to kill you I might be doing something else that might be wrong. Say we both worked at the same company and did the same job, yet I kept taking credit for your hard work and made it look like I did the work of three people and you and two other people who also do this job are just lazy and all you do is goof off all day.>
<The truth would be that I don't do any work other than what I have to in order to steal the credit from these three people and make them seem lazy and/or incompetent.>
<As a result of this somebody loses there job, if I am caught it is me, if not it is you and two other people.>
<Now that you are out of work you can't pay your bills and your water, power and internet get turned off. Shortly after that you can't pay your rent anymore and you are out on the streets.>
<None of this is your fault, it is just a consequence of me making a bad choice.>
<God knows that what I did here is wrong. I should be punished.>
<When parents punish or reward their children there are 4 ways to do so. I can reward you by giving you something you want. (I'll buy you a toy the next time we go to the store, and we'll get some ice cream) I can reward you by taking away something that you don't want. (You don't have to wash dishes for a week.) I can punish you by giving you something you don't want (a spanking, or a time out) or I can punish you by taking away something that you want. (No TV, computer or other electronic devises for a month. I mean it, if I see you using anything that uses electrical current I will make you wish I had killed you!)>
<God punishes us the same way, because we broke the rules he took away the dinosaurs and the chance to live forever. Yet he knew that he would miss us, so he used a loop hole to give us back that chance if we would turn back to him.>
<Think of it as an unruly teenager. Have you ever heard someone say "As long as you live in my house you will obey my rules!". well in this case God gave us rules and we as a people have said that we don't like his rules and want to move out. So we ran away from home. So long as we run from him we can't benefit from living in his house, yet if we turn back to him we can return home and live in his nice big house.>

Blu
Rampant Drunk
Rampant Drunk

Post by Blu » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:30 pm

So as a punishment to US, God killed the dinosaurs? Surely, if he wanted to punish us all, he would kill all the puppies. And why must dinosaurs suffer for our mistake?

Then again, this IS the God who supposedly punishes ME for what some other guy did thousands of years ago. Nice chap, eh?

Also, yes, we may "run away from home", but you seem to forget that not everyone runs away from home just because they're petty or childish. Sometimes, people run from home for a good reason. One good reason would be that the parent(s) don't actually exist. Maybe the parent(s) don't provide us anything, maybe even harm us or neglect us.

When using an analogy, you have to consider EVERYTHING about that analogy. I'm not running away from home, because I don't even think the home exists in the first place. How can I leave what I don't believe to be true?

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:20 am

<Actually I did consider that.>
<People don't always appreciate what their parents do for them and we sometimes think that our folks don't do anything for us, and we want to leave to find a better life.>
<Whatever our reasons for leaving, justified or not, if your father lives in one place and you leave and go somewhere else then you lose all the benefits (however large or small they may be) of living with him.>
<Now granted if your parents are dead then they can't do anything for you, so you need to find ways to support yourself or find someone else who can support you.>
<On the other hand if your parents are abusive then finding a way out of that situation could do more good than harm, and if anyone reading this IS being beaten by one or more of their parents or abused in anyway then you should try everything in your power to get out of there, this includes getting help from someone you trust.>

<There are many theories about 'god' one theory is that no such being exists, still another says that god started the universe spinning and then got up and left and he/she/it/they don't pay any attention any more, and if they do it is only to laugh at how messed up things turn out.>
<If one of these is true, and it doesn't really matter which one, then sure there is no reason to pray to god, he is not there or will just laugh at your suffering. Such a god does not deserve any more praise then that given to the painter who makes a lovely painting, if you replace the word 'painting' with 'universe' and the word 'lovely' with the word that you think best describes the state the universe is currently in.>
<However if there is a god and if that god makes changes in this world, for better or for worse, then it would make sense to try to understand what this god wants and how we can please him/her/it/them, and still live a life that we can enjoy.>
<If 'god' gives us a set of rules that by obeying them will cause god to give us blessings then it makes sense to try and follow those rules, likewise if there are actions that you can take that will lead you to be cursed by god then it makes sense to try to know what these things are so that you can act accordingly.>
<I am reminded of a story of a rat in a cage with two buttons, one button gave the rat an electrical shock, the other brought food.>
<What button do you think the rat learned to push?>
<Sure god, whatever form such a being takes, if such a being even exists, isn't always clear on his/her/it/their wants and desires, and I would love it if the rewards and punishments came right after the deeds that lead to them, however the Bible tells us that if we were punished as we deserve as soon as we did the evil deed it would destroy us, that is why Jesus died on the cross for our sins, that which would have destroyed us did not destroy him.>