Evolution vs. Intelligent Design

Talk about religion here
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.

Life on earth is a product of random chance
4%
Life on earth is a result of Natural Selection
56%
Life on earth was created by a sentient being
22%
Somewhere in between (God helped evolution along… God created the world through evolution… etc.)
19%
I’m not sure
No votes

Total votes: 27

Snoopy
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by Snoopy » Mon May 05, 2008 9:30 am

Okay, in keeping with the controversial topics theme… I thought it might be fun to debate Evolution vs. Intelligent Design. What do you guys think? Is the earth millions of years old… did life evolve randomly? Or was the earth created by someone thousands of years ago?
Last edited by Snoopy on Tue May 06, 2008 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

If you experience any problems, please do not hesitate to PM or email me.

darkflame91
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Re: Evolution vs. Intelligent Design

Post by darkflame91 » Mon May 05, 2008 10:45 am

I think the Universe was created by God, Earth was formed after billions of billions of milleniums (I don't do things on a small scale, do I? :lol: )...and life gradually evolved...

I picture this somewhere between the two options...It happened naturally, but God was the driving force behind it all...which is also why I didn't vote...
----
This ex-moderator is almost never online. Noob AFF'ers, I AM THE GHOST EX-MOD. FEAR ME. Also happens to be the first member of this forum to use xkcd in their signature. =D
----

Snoopy
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Snoopy » Mon May 05, 2008 11:22 am

Hmm… I guess that sort of excludes the option of taking a literal interpretation of the Bible.

BTW, I added another option on the poll just for you… but I have a feeling you’re not the only one who believes that.

darkflame91
Admiral
Admiral

Post by darkflame91 » Mon May 05, 2008 11:45 am

Voted...
and the middle path theory makes sense..for eg,
Moses wrote Genesis right? He's written about how stuff was created day after day, pretty much following the order of evolution...I believe God described to Moses how the world was created in simple terms...If he had gone on and on, describing Mendel's laws and such like, no blasphemy intended, but Moses would be brain-dead in a few hours...
Reader's Digest Version: I believe in Evolution, but also that God was behind it all...

What about you?
----
This ex-moderator is almost never online. Noob AFF'ers, I AM THE GHOST EX-MOD. FEAR ME. Also happens to be the first member of this forum to use xkcd in their signature. =D
----

Zealous Veil
Aristh
Aristh

Post by Zealous Veil » Mon May 05, 2008 12:25 pm

I'm somewhat in agreement with darkflame. I believe A god created the universe, and nudged us along on the way. The god that is currently worshiped by many today is nothing but a figment of men's imagination. And I specify men, because this God was created by men to suit their greedy needs...

Oh, whoops, the little feminist in me decided to give a kick. :oops:

I believe in both, because it's hard to believe that a huge explosion just created us, however, it's also hard to believe that the earth was always was and never changed. So there's the reasoning behind my philosophy.

Snoopy
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Snoopy » Mon May 05, 2008 1:13 pm

Well… I believe in a literal, six day creation as the Bible says. See, everywhere else in the Bible when the word “day” is used, it means a normal, twenty-four hour period. Now, maybe evolution would be too complicated for God to explain to Moses, but he could have at least said “it took six billion years” instead of “it took six days”. Why would God want to confuse us?

And, what most people don’t know is that the “evidence” for evolution is really not at all conclusive… the problem is that certain people want to believe it, so you generally only hear one side of the story.

darkflame91
Admiral
Admiral

Post by darkflame91 » Mon May 05, 2008 1:20 pm

We can't be sure that God specifically mentioned days either..He might have explained everything to Moses, but Moses might have simplified it, to help the common Israelite understand what happened...
Snoopy wrote:Why would God want to confuse us?
We might as well ask the same about Revelation...I guess its something we'll never know till the afterlife...
----
----

Snoopy
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Snoopy » Mon May 05, 2008 1:25 pm

darkflame91 wrote:We might as well ask the same about Revelation...I guess its something we'll never know till the afterlife...
I have to admit… some parts of Revelation are way too confusing.

But still… there’s just not enough evidence supporting an old earth to make me believe it. Evolution is sort of like global warming: Some people really want us to believe it, so they take some small pieces of evidence, ignore other pieces, throw in a little wild speculation and stick it in a science text book.

darkflame91
Admiral
Admiral

Post by darkflame91 » Tue May 06, 2008 1:07 am

yeah, but Darwin himself was a faithful Christian...Ages after I decided to believe in evolution with God's hand behind it, I discovered Darwin had exactly the same view...
----
----

Snoopy
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Snoopy » Tue May 06, 2008 7:13 am

Well, Darwin may have been a Christian, but that doesn’t mean his theory was in line with the Bible. There’re a lot of people out there who claim to be Christians… that doesn’t make their ideas right.

You’ve got to examine a theory subjectively, look at its scientific basis, and see if it makes sense. And as far as I can see, there is almost no scientific basis for the theory that the earth is millions of years old.