Animorph Browser MMO?

Place for Animorphs Role Playing games
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Reidmere
Civilian

Animorph Browser MMO?

Post by Reidmere » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:17 am

Hey, I'm seriously looking at and considering making a web-based MMORPG based on the Animorphs universe. I've been wanting to make a web-game based on something for a while. I've just been doing more studying rather than making something complex, as my initial thoughts were a Golden Sun or Zoids Legacy MMO. That, however, would take an extremely long amount of time, and I don't exactly know a direct high fanbase for either.

I some people have considered making a game with a program, but they never really did anything, from the looks of things.
I also know there's a forum-based role-playing type of thing going on, but I'm not talking about that, either.

Initially, it would only be text-based and with pictures, maybe some basic animations.
However, once I learn some more java, I'm talking about a real-time browser-based game, that I can also adapt for smart-phone. Maybe something similar to Mafia Wars at some point, maybe something more traditionally RPG, such as Zelda.

I already run server, and am fairly familiar with PHP, running Private Servers for Cabal, Eudemons, OGame, and having run others.
I'm also fairly familiar with laws, enough so where they can't just "shut me down". Most endings of fan-based projects are because they're THREATENED of legal action, not because any was actually taken. My servers are all run from my computer, so it can't just be "deleted" to save from trouble.

So, my questions:
1) How many people would be interested in this idea, and play?
2) How should I make the time line, before the Animorph series, or after?
3) How should I do the stat or equipment systems? It obviously can't be traditional D&D/Diablo style, because it's not like they ever used armor.

Please post your opinion, guys!

PS: Originally, I think I accidently posted this in AFFRPG, so I deleted that and posted it here.
If it was actually moved by a mod, please let me know, and why. :)
Owner/Administrator of Alternate Gaming Network
Music remixes, private servers, and soon, a cosplay gallery.

Also, considering making a Animorph-based MMO. Please visit this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4788

Sassy_Cat
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: Animorph Browser MMO?

Post by Sassy_Cat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:17 pm

I'd be interested in playing as long as everything was legal.
Not before the series, that wouldn't make sense. Maybe like an alternate version of what's happening in the series? I mean, after we're Yeerk-less there's not much plot, so it could be like everyone is individually fighting against the Yeerks, and there could be missions people assign you to take them down. That way, if you have to shut it down, you can assign everyone one gigantic 54esque mission to attack the Yeerk Empire as a whole, and people, oh dear, have to COOPERATE. The horror, the horror.
I don't know much about armor stats or how to work with the last one, though.
"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."
- Ray Bradbury

My amazing blog- http://yasreadyas.blogspot.com/

Salad Shooter
Aristh
Aristh

Post by Salad Shooter » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:13 pm

I agree with Sassy. I would just do something generic - like everyone is fighting against the Yeerk empire, who is trying to take over various races. And the players could choose their race. Andalites can morph right from the start, and all of the other races are able to get the morphing ability from a specific NPC in the game or something like that. So either there's no law of Seerow's kindness, or there's some guy out there who's shamelessly breaking it. Maybe instead of Elfangor dying and giving the morphing ability to five kids, he's running around the galaxy giving it to anybody who wants to resist the Yeerks. haha.

I would make it generic enough that it could be almost anywhere in the time line of the Earth invasion.

Maybe you could make it so that players could choose to be on the side of the Yeerks if they wanted. They would have the same choice of races, only they would be Controllers now. And to make it fair, the Yeerks have gotten their hands on a morphing cube as well? So yeah, completely screw with the plot of the main series, but still have the same races and major non-Animorph characters involved.

Rafe
Warrior
Warrior
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by Rafe » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:07 am

Damn this is cool.

Yeerks go violent and start full-scale invasion rather than discreet indoctrination. This way, armor and equipment would seem more viable. You could set it in a way that Earth is a big battlefield between Rebels and Yeerks.

Suggestions:
-Race selection and perks of each race
-2 human classes, 1 that morphs, the other doesn't
-background effects, doctors get bonus healing, military people get more gun proficiency, civilians get improvised weapons, etc.
-Yeerks can't morph but they can simply go back to base and grab a new body. Maybe switching bodies requires money or some sort of payment but their bodies are much better than Andalite morphs
-Andalites and humans(not all) get to morph, they can switch up anytime anywhere. Casting=time to morph.
-Non-morph humans get bonuses in other stats.

But that's just my opinion, go ahead and do whatever you wish.

ParaBolt
Civilian

Post by ParaBolt » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:58 am

How about some other enemies? I mean you can have Yeerks. But it would be nice to use morphing powers against other enemies like well some advanced cyber humanoid race with advanced technology trying to conquer earth?
You know what, that might make a good outline plot for a fanfic.

Also you need to have a Race with powers such as flameball emitting, etc. It will create good visual effects in-game :D.

Reidmere
Civilian

Post by Reidmere » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:09 pm

Sassy_Cat wrote:if you have to shut it down, you can assign everyone one gigantic 54esque mission to attack the Yeerk Empire as a whole, and people, oh dear, have to COOPERATE. The horror, the horror.
I lol'd pretty hard! XD
Sassy_Cat wrote:I'd be interested in playing as long as everything was legal.
Trust me, with (which I prefer) or without (last resort), there's ways to make almost anything that's not Disney legal...
Reason? Disney not only copyrights stories and names, but events, personalities, places, exc.

Animorphs has a more limited range of copyrights. So, I couldn't make references to specific NAMES (like Elfangor, Cassie, exc), but I could use RACES, or "laws" such as "Seerow's Kindness", because they are lose references. If you think of a few shared references between movies, games, or anime, you'd see what I mean on that subject. But, like I said, I'd PREFER to work WITH K.A. Applegate on this. The lady is a genius, and deserves her cut. ;)
Sassy_Cat wrote:I mean, after we're Yeerk-less there's not much plot
Who said the WORLD is Yeerk-less? I haven't read it for a while, but I think it stands that there are still other vissers out there.
For example, I don't REMEMBER 2 being mentioned... and what's to say another group won't target earth?
Salad Shooter wrote:So either there's no law of Seerow's kindness, or there's some guy out there who's shamelessly breaking it.
Well, the law of Seerow's Kindness only is an ANDALITE law. For example, Jake had Elfangor's box, no?
Also, if I place it AFTER the book series, what's to stop the Andalites from spreading the technology around more (wisely)?
Salad Shooter wrote:Maybe you could make it so that players could choose to be on the side of the Yeerks if they wanted.
Good idea... but instead of like choosing sides at the beginning, you play through a "beginner's mode" story to see what you want, who you think is right.
Rafe wrote: -Race selection and perks of each race
-2 human classes, 1 that morphs, the other doesn't
-background effects, doctors get bonus healing, military people get more gun proficiency, civilians get improvised weapons, etc.
-Yeerks can't morph but they can simply go back to base and grab a new body. Maybe switching bodies requires money or some sort of payment but their bodies are much better than Andalite morphs
-Andalites and humans(not all) get to morph, they can switch up anytime anywhere. Casting=time to morph.
-Non-morph humans get bonuses in other stats.
[/quote]
Got some good ideas there.

Thing is, here is what I'm thinking:
Races:
Hork-Bajir: High Attack, low vision, can't use many weapons.
They get many attacks, and with practice, can use them fast... basically gets a natural "haste" with experience.
However, in light, they can only see 1/2 the distance of humans, and even only 1/3 - 1/2 that at night.
Why does a salad shooter need to see far, anyhow? (Yes I'm talking to you!)

Andalite:
Low strength, but tail blade that can naturally surpass the melee speeds of all but a veteran Hork-Bajir's attack speed.
Andalites gain the ability to morph immediately after leaving the Academy.
If an Andalite begins to become possessed by a Yeerk, they use "last will" instantly commit suicide (and taking some penalty).

Humans: Widely adaptable, Humans have the least chance of entering "frenzy" from a morph, compared to other races.
Humans, due to their natural capabilities for evolution, may also retain a higher number of morphs per level bracket, compared to Andalites.
While Humans have no natural weapons, they're also capable of using a wider range of weaponry and technology, even more than Andalites.

Taxxon: Erm... joke class?
Well, in all honesty, I think something can be said about them. They are stronger than humans.
Also, there's a possibility, that either due to evolution, or increasing number of available host bodies, that Taxxons cannot or ARE not selected to be a host target any longer. I'd stick with the first probably: Make it so that since they're possibly the oldest to be enslaved by Yeerks, and considering how strong their instincts to EAT is... that perhaps their instincts also make them immune to control of a Yeerk.
They can either still CARRY one, but not be controlled; or have the canal the Yeerks previously used, closed due to evolution.
Also, considering the possibility of, due to their chemical makeup, they can perhaps retain the most amount of morphs for their level bracket, for balance.

Chee: Incapable of learning how to morph, as they have no organic bodies.
Chee are neigh-indestructible, and nearly undetectable; the ultimate espionage artists. They also have the strenght to beat Chuck Norris in an Arm Wrestle.
However, they are mostly incapable of killing a living being, making them a tank that cannot shoot. They also have a knack of connecting to computer systems to access nearly any information connected to it directly or indirectly.
In this manner, a Chee could theoretically connect to a school computer to connect to the internet, to connect to a firewalled computer of a controller in their home who is broadcasting to a Visser, to sabotage their ship's programming, given the correct opportunities.

Reidmere
Civilian

Post by Reidmere » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:24 pm

I just wanted to post an update, because I forgot to clarify on 2 things:
1) "Frenzy" is where your animal instincts take over, and different animals have different tenancies.
So, in respect, humans would be more capable of controlling a Taxxon morph around blood, than let's say Andalites.
2) How to get the ability to morph:
There will be events, where GMs, or other people may have morph boxes.
These can be used to GIVE powers to others, but to balance it they'd have to be weary about doing it, to prevent someone like David from happening, or the possibility of a person who's reckless (as Rachel is) from getting possessed, and stuck on the Yeerk side.

PKWonder
Aristh
Aristh
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by PKWonder » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:39 pm

Any progress on this? This has potential to be a dream-come-true.

Also, what do you plan on including in terms of morphs and how does one acquire them?

Reidmere
Civilian

Post by Reidmere » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:39 am

For the progress, I'm just starting to pick up Java since last night... never really had the motivation or a real reason to before.
But, in light of my profession, and the fact that I want to make a Zoids MMO as well, I decided to start learning it.
I do plan on working on Zoids first though, at least until I get some more people interested in this, and a couple people to help with some matters.

One of the matters I want to address, is people to chat with about it on Skype or something, to brainstorm ideas, such as what you were talking about with how to get morphs, exc. Something this big, designing a complete system, isn't really a process one or two people can do, even if doing full-time.

But in short, there's many concepts I have for how to have it work.
Since I'm looking at having it browser based, I do have a few "templets" I'm considering to use...

My top thought so far, is a Mafia Wars or Dawn of the Dragons style, where you get certain morphs from certain quests.
You use energy (recharges with time) to do quests, missions, battles, exc.

The different missions have different strengths and weaknesses, such as one is done at dark, and to be more successful, you must have and use a morph to see in the dark, to get better rewards, or naturally be a race that has better dark vision... so Hork-Bajir would get fewer rewards on the quest to obtain a panther morph, and less likely to obtain the morph, as let's say human, who can see better in the dark.
Andalites, however, may have better chance at scouting in the forest (4 eyes), almost as much as a flying bird... meaning less used stamina to morph.

But this type of system heavily depends on other people to help design the variable arrangement of levels.
So, I'd either give them a "templet" to fill out a few of, where they just fill in the blanks, something like

Code: Select all

if (player.property = "[this type]") {rewards +x%;}
if exists (this.obtainable.morph)
 {if (player.property= "[this type]"){this.chance = +x%} }
So, instead of being so reliant "equips", you have "states", including morphs.
For the example above, let's say you're doing a quest to fine a Yeerk Ship at night:
If you use owls, you may be able to find it much easier, and get something.
But if you use a wolf, you may be able to have a "random encounter" with a panther in the woods.
If you do, you lose health trying to run away. But you have to run or fight it.
If you subdue it without killing it, you can reverse your morph to absorb it's DNA.

However, to complete the mission and still get the rewards, you have to have enough stamina left to morph back.
Then, it wouldn't take more ENERGY to finish the quest, but if you fail the mission, you may lose something.
In short, if you're short on stamina, always take the safe route.

The help I'd need, it making/organizing graphics, filling in blanks like in the code above I send, and naming the missions, and other such stuff.
It wouldn't be under production right away of course, because I still need to study more Java, and plan to start the Zoids project first...
After all, that system's already wires, and I just have to reprogram it, not figure out what to do to balance things better.

With enough interest though, I may start working on Animorphs after I create a simple version of Zoids on my site.
I was planning on making Zoids more tactics-based, where you could actually move one square a turn (GBA game, you're there for the battle),
and to create a larger field, more squares. With enough hits on my site coming for Animorphs, messages about it, and posts here,
I'd likely put that second part on the back burner, if I already had people message me that they're willing to help.

So, if you're interested in helping, please let me know if:
You're at least slightly exposed to programming, to know how to edit things like above.
Are good with photoshop or other image-editing software.
Are good with making and editing music/beats.
Have played many platform and RPG games, enough to understand "balanced system design".

:)

I'm already re-working my site some, to reflect the potential changes...

LegendaryCatalyst
Gedd

Post by LegendaryCatalyst » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:06 pm

I would really be interested in play. I remember trying to play the one or two horrible browser games on the Scholastic Animorphs site in like 1997. Unacceptable. I would love a good Animorphs game of some kind. May even work for a MUD style game since you're considering text based.