Just a very important question

Place for all feedback, suggestions, complaints, feature requests, etc. Guest posting is enabled in this section.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Kathryn_Animorph
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Is this site illegal?

Post by Kathryn_Animorph » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:10 pm

uh, like, does the creator of this forum have permission to use the Animorphs as the theme of this forum? Because if scholastic found out about this forum there could be some serious legal-action.

And I dont want that to happen.

Maybe we should make a secret back-up forum? Like, incase scholastic DOES find out. And if we do, we shouldnt put the link in a post, maybe in a private messages on here or simply by using email. :mrgreen:

I COULDNT THINK OF ANYWHERE ELSE TO PUT THIS THREAD, PLEASE MOVE THIS IF IT IS WRONG BOARD!
hiya

Ellimist
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Re: Just a very important question

Post by Ellimist » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:22 pm

Kathryn_Animorph wrote:uh, like, does the creator of this forum have permission to use the Animorphs as the theme of this forum? Because if scholastic found out about this forum there could be some serious legal-action.
Are you sure? Because there are a lot of fan-made sites that use trademarked names and logos without the need for any legal permissions. I could add a disclaimer stating that "Animorphs" is a registered trademark of Scholastic Inc, but I think it's really not needed.

To Scholastic, Animorphs is now a dead series.

Feel free to post your opinion on this. I'm glad this topic came up. :)
Powered by chocolate and Dvorak

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is this site illegal?

Post by capnnerefir » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:51 pm

I don't think scholatic would mind, since no one (as far as I know) is using this for profit (if you are, I want in!). in fact, they'd probably love it, since it's free advertising for the Animorphs. And anyway, scholastic doesn't really make much money from the books or TV show, since the books went out of print years ago and the show...well, we all know what happened to the show.
In summary, I'm pretty sure it's legal.

Kathryn_Animorph
Civilian

Post by Kathryn_Animorph » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:06 pm

Ok :D, but what about the goverment? Even if Scholastic doesnt mind, the goverment is getting very picky about copyrighted materials being used these days. Take youtube, for instance. They are closing down in a couple of months. well, not closing down, but taking down all copyrighted videos. So thats basically eveyr video on it.
hiya

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:16 pm

Again, I don't think the government cares, since no money is changing hands. No one here claims to own the Animorphs, so there isn't any copyright infringment. The only legal hangup might be the eBooks, since they're given away for free (but for the love of yaweh, please don't stop!!), but I don't think anyone would have a problem with that, either, since books are almost impossible to find, so no one's making a profit off of them anyhow. In the end, it all comes back to money, and this site isn't about that.

Delique
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by Delique » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:20 pm

There is no problem with the creation/existence a fan forum. Many people who do create fan forums for something don't claim to have any ownership over the actual franchising product. I definitely know for sure that this site isn't illegal at all.

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee

Post by Elfangor » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:06 pm

if Scolastic have a problem with this site then they are greedy and i pretty much will hate them
You all have guns
And you never put the safety on
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

Ellimist
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by Ellimist » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:44 pm

Posts merged from an (almost) identical thread from the Animorphs Discussions section.
Kathryn_Animorphs wrote:Maybe we should make a secret back-up forum? Like, incase scholastic DOES find out. And if we do, we shouldnt put the link in a post, maybe in a private messages on here or simply by using email. :mrgreen:
We do have a back-up forum where we back up all the threads and the posts daily. In case of an irrecoverable hard drive failure or something, we'll be able to restore the threads/posts within minutes. :)