Downloads Access

Place for all feedback, suggestions, complaints, feature requests, etc. Guest posting is enabled in this section.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Snoopy
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Downloads Access

Post by Snoopy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:20 pm

I think that the five-post minimum to access the Downloads section is definitely a good idea. But…

Maybe we could make it so that new members can access some of the ebooks; say, the first ten, without having to post five times. Two reasons for this.

One, it will act like a "teaser" or a "free-trial version" of the forum, so that people won’t give up on the five posts. And two, it will give people who had never read the books before coming to this sight, (like me), something to discuss in their first five posts.

Again, just a suggestion. But I think it might help us not lose so many people to other forums with no minimum required in order to download.

If you experience any problems, please do not hesitate to PM or email me.

cheetzzz
Civilian

Re: Downloads Access

Post by cheetzzz » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:11 pm

it is a tricky situation because alot of people are only interested in the ebooks...
but maybe like just the first book? or first 3? i don't know if i'd say 10. :|
but that's a valid point saying they could use something to talk about.
"Hahaha, no grandma i cannot accept these 4s5 cookies; the fusion of them in my mouth just suck." ---Spongebob, Grandma's Kisses

Snoopy
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Snoopy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:29 pm

Yeah, cheetzzz is probably right. Maybe just the first five? Just enough to get new readers who have never read the series before hooked… :twisted:

Or, maybe we could make it so that the number of posts a new user has made is the number of books they have access to. In other words, a user with one post can access book 1, a user with six posts can access books 1-6, and so on.

Then again, that may be a little too hard to actually implement. :roll: Maybe someone with super-duper computer programming knowledge… :geek:

If you experience any problems, please do not hesitate to PM or email me.

darkflame91
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by darkflame91 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:50 pm

Yeah, that would be too hard, but the first idea's definitely good.

Ellimist?
----
This ex-moderator is almost never online. Noob AFF'ers, I AM THE GHOST EX-MOD. FEAR ME. Also happens to be the first member of this forum to use xkcd in their signature. =D
----

jmln1
Gedd

Post by jmln1 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:51 pm

Mayybe it can be done easily by putting the ones that you want to share to new comers in a sticky with a legend, say, "Enjoy the first ones and colaborate if you want access to the others", what do you think?

Ellimist
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ellimist » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:43 pm

mrchuckles wrote:Maybe we could make it so that new members can access some of the ebooks; say, the first ten, without having to post five times.
Umm, it's possible, but it's tricky, and it's definitely worth a try.
Let me see what I can do.

Edit : Blog post regarding this issue