Laptop SUX! Runs games sluggishly.

Need help troubleshooting your PC? We have a couple of geeks in the forum who can help you
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
AneeshTheGreat
Donator
Donator
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Laptop SUX! Runs games sluggishly.

Post by AneeshTheGreat » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:08 am

As most of you probably don't know, i recently got a new laptop computer. Ok, i got an OLD laptop computer. Old as in about 3.5 years old. Here are it's specs:

Model: HP Pavilion dv2000 Entertainment PC(the name doesn't mean much, i've seen quite a few different laptops with different configurations but the same model name)
Processor: AMD Turion (tm)64 X2 TL-58 1.90 Ghz
Installed Memory (RAM): 2 GB
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7150m/nForce 630m
Approx Total Memory (according to DIrectX Diagnostics): 793 MB

Now when i first got it, i had a LOT of hopes for this device (gaming wise) as this is the first computer i personally own, and overall it sounded kinda impressive. After trying out a few 2007-ish games like Assassin's Creed, GTA IV etc., i lowered my expectations to the same 2005 games i had been playing on my previous computer (with 512 MB RAM, 3.0 Ghz Pentium D processor, and an Intel Chipset graphic card). Things like GTA San Andreas, NFS Most Wanted, etc. Turns out, those are barely supported as well. both these games run at playable speeds, at lowes video settings, but even that too only f or about5-10 minutes, after which it becomes slightly sluggish, still playable with some frustration. 5-10 minutes after THAT, it suffers another slowdown, and is completely unplayable.

Honestly, i'd have accepted all this if my computer were simply incapable, but the fact is a friend of mine in the hostel has a laptop, with the same model no. and exterior, albeit with LOWER configurations (1GB RAM, 1.7 Ghz processor). This laptop plays these game smoothly at medium graphic settings. Even Left4Dead which is unplayable from the start on my system, runs perfectly.

Can anyone help me diagnose the problem ? What could possibly be wrong? If it helps, the PC originally ships with Windows Vista, and my friends laptop still runs Vista. However, i recently did a clean install of Windows 7.

EDIT: Looks like my 5-10 minutes figure was kinda exaggerated.. It runs for about 1-2 minutes properly, then slows down.

EDIT 2: Ok, the official specs... here
Last edited by AneeshTheGreat on Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand Binary, and those who don't. Now 1/4th a Computer Scientist (or Computer Science Engineer, depending on my mood), i can safely say i fall into the first category.

Ellimist
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Re: Laptop SUX! Runs games sluggishly.

Post by Ellimist » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:36 pm

AneeshTheGreat wrote:Turns out, those are barely supported as well. both these games run at playable speeds, at lowes video settings, but even that too only f or about5-10 minutes, after which it becomes slightly sluggish, still playable with some frustration. 5-10 minutes after THAT, it suffers another slowdown, and is completely unplayable.
Seems to me like it's overheating.

A little Googling says that this is a rampant problem with the NVIDIA GeForce 7150m/nForce 630m graphics subsystem. Sometimes, installing the latest nForce/GeForce drivers resolves the issue, sometimes a trip to the service center does it, or sometimes the problem stays. Not very encouraging, is it?
Powered by chocolate and Dvorak

AneeshTheGreat
Donator
Donator

Post by AneeshTheGreat » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:05 am

No it's not. Especially since the drivers are up to date. And i have no idea if there is any service center in Vizag, or if it will even be worth it to go there.

Would a cooling pad help? I didn't mention the heating because i didn't think it was important. I'll say this, it can get unbearably hot at times, so much that it once gave my sister burns on her thighs.

Also, even if it is overheating, it doesn't quite explain why something like Left4Dead would run smoothly on a lower spec'ed computer, and yet stutter right from the start on mine.

Also, i didn't bother googling the graphic card issues, cuz i kinda figured it's have something to do with the low processor speed.

EDIT:if it helps, i downloaded this utility to check the temperature of the internals, called SpeedFan. the results are as follows:

GPU: 92C
Core: 83C
After 10 minutes of Most Wanted.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand Binary, and those who don't. Now 1/4th a Computer Scientist (or Computer Science Engineer, depending on my mood), i can safely say i fall into the first category.

Snoopy
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by Snoopy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:40 pm

AneeshTheGreat wrote:
EDIT:if it helps, i downloaded this utility to check the temperature of the internals, called SpeedFan. the results are as follows:

GPU: 92C
Core: 83C
After 10 minutes of Most Wanted.
I'm no expert... but that seems way too hot. My graphics card runs at about 40 degrees Celsius when idle and up to 50 or 55 during intense use, but never more that that. If you were dealing with a desktop, I'd say you should just replace the factory fan with something better, but with a laptop I don't know how possible or practical that is. Probably a laptop cooler would help...

If you experience any problems, please do not hesitate to PM or email me.

Arthur
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by Arthur » Tue May 10, 2011 11:09 pm

Cooling pad should definitely help. Personally, hardware-wise, I prefer Macs.
Formerly War-Prince Arleal-Breeyar-Fangor (Username was too long)

I Loves Programming!

AneeshTheGreat
Donator
Donator

Post by AneeshTheGreat » Sat May 21, 2011 2:12 am

Ok, update! I bought a cooling pad (some Belkin one) and while it mostly keeps the temperature down (around 80) the games still run slowly. Any other ideas guys? I'm really desperate here! I just spent Rs 600 on games that are running in perpetual bullet time.

SamilinCorrathGahar
Ruler of Everything
Ruler of Everything

Post by SamilinCorrathGahar » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:11 pm

<Try selling it and getting a newer computer.>
<I'm just kidding, I don't know that you can do, but I think I might know someone who can help.>
<Yes, it is I, Captain Samilin-Corrath-Gahar of the Andalite ship Ascalin, and ruler of everything .>

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:40 pm

<Hold on a moment and I'll tell you.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

Arthur
Civilian

Post by Arthur » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:27 pm

2 GB RAM seems a little low for a 64-bit Windows OS. It should run fine, but for any hardcore games or multitasking, you might want >=4 GB RAM. I'm going with 8 on my next laptop. (This one isn't mine. It's a MacBook running 10.6.4 with 1 GB RAM. Kinda sad.)
Formerly War-Prince Arleal-Breeyar-Fangor (Username was too long)

I Loves Programming!

AneeshTheGreat
Donator
Donator

Post by AneeshTheGreat » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:11 pm

Dude, read my first post. It's a 32 bit os.

Besides, i don't think Tom Clancy Splinter Cell 1 counts as "Hard core gaming"