Old virus i think / It say need CD to boot

Need help troubleshooting your PC? We have a couple of geeks in the forum who can help you
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Moka
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Old virus i think / It say need CD to boot

Post by Moka » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:46 am

My computer is broken down but when i turn on it says the Hard drive is not found and it says that it needs a CD to boot it. But the problem is that when i got the computer, the CD doesn't come with it incase it's broken down.

anyone help?

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: Old virus i think / It say need CD to boot

Post by capnnerefir » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:57 pm

While I'm no computer guy, I do know more information would be helpful.

What OS are you running?
What type of computer is it? (Brand and model)

Many computers come with Windows Vista already installed, and many manufacturers don't actually give you a repair/install CD. You can download one here (legally!) but in my experience, you'll probably need an OEM version of the repair disc; those must be purchased or obtained through...less scrupulous methods. Burn it to a flash drive or a CD and pop it in.

If you're not running Vista, disregard my advice entirely.

And remember: it's always best to listen to someone who is not me.

TwistyWristy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by TwistyWristy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:04 pm

A hard drive not found error means the motherboard can't detect the device at all, meaning until the problem is fixed or the device replaced, you won't be able to use or install an OS.

The first and easiest thing you should do is unplug your computer, open it up and check to make sure all cables and power cables are properly and firmly connected to the hard drive (also make sure the other end of the cable is connected to the motherboard properly.
If you've never done this before, this page (http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/in ... -drive.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) has a picture that gives you a look at a hard drive and the cables that should be attached. If you have a SCSI drive, it will look slightly different from the picture but will still be close enough.
If you can see a label on the hard drive

Close up your computer and try powering it up again. If the hard drive is still failing to be detected, turn off your computer again and then turn it back on.
This time, load up your BIOS (this is usually done by holding down Enter, Control Or Delete. Some computers give you the proper instructions to do this on your screen). It's been a long time since I've last had to go into any BIOS but after the BIOS screen loads up, you'll want to check for the hard drive section and check to make sure your hard drive detection settings are set properly. Try setting the detection to auto if it isn't already.

TwistyWristy
I googled, I lurked, I joined...

joeydip
Gedd

Post by joeydip » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:22 pm

You can also use a memory stick and boot from it... Just Google it..

athelnstone
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by athelnstone » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:11 pm

When you get error like hard drive not found then first check hard drive cable and if possible then change it.It needs CD means problem is in your OS and drivers so first get new CD writer and install OS perfectly and then get driver from Internet and install it.

Mitchell92
Gedd

Post by Mitchell92 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:05 pm

Simple way to check if your hard drive is dead -

Check in your BIOS. Does it report a hard drive?

I am trained in IT and computer repair... and am experienced. Feel free to ask me more... there is a big troubleshooting process.

Typically, I would check to see if the bios even recognizes the drive is present.

After, I typically use a live linux distro, either ubuntu or suse. I then use that to see if it can detect the hard drive.

Some sort of viruses can affect your master boot record, or partition table. This is sometime the case.

I've helped a woman, where the case was that the partition table was corrupt by a virus.

If you need me to be more detailed, please ask.