Ubuntu Netbook Remix

Need help troubleshooting your PC? We have a couple of geeks in the forum who can help you
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
BrokenCody
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Ubuntu Netbook Remix

Post by BrokenCody » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:39 pm

Okay, so I downloaded Ubuntu 9.10 on my desktop using Wupi, allowing it to dualboot, and I didn't need a disc or... Well, anything, including the slightest knowledge of computers, which is good, because I don't HAVE the slightest knowledge of computers. :P

Anyway, I frikin' love it. And I wanted to put it on my netbook, but when I DL'd it from Wupi, it won't allow me to access the internet via WiFi, so I think I need Netbook Remix... Yeah, should've guessed that one to begin with. :P

Anyway, I didn't want to get it if it was going to wipe XP from my machine, I wanted to dualboot, so I was wondering if anyone here knew if Netbook Remix was set up to wipe the current OS, or to dualboot...? Also, do you know which one boots natively? With Wupi, Windows always starts natively.
I would switch over, but I spend to much on Netflix per month. :P

Ellimist
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Re: Ubuntu Netbook Remix

Post by Ellimist » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:21 pm

I don't know a single thing about Wupi as I have not used it. But during Ubuntu installation (more specifically the Grub installation), it automatically adds an entry for Windows and makes dual-bot possible.

As far as I know, Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) has in-built support for WiFi. Right click on The Network-manager applet icon.

Select "Edit connections" from the menu.

Move to the Wireless tab and create a new connection according to your settings.
Powered by chocolate and Dvorak

BrokenCody
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by BrokenCody » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:40 am

I had to uninstall/reinstall Ubuntu to do it. And now I'm running an earlier version, 9.04. I have another question, though. I've got my WiFi set up, but I can't get it to DL Skype. I use it for a lot of projects I'm working on, and I actually need it really badly. Does anyone have any idea how to install it? Honestly, I need something pretty simple, I'm so NOT used to having to do anything other than press "download" once. :P

Ellimist
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by Ellimist » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:54 am

BrokenCody wrote:Honestly, I need something pretty simple, I'm so NOT used to having to do anything other than press "download" once. :P
Frankly, that all you need to do. :) Skype has been known to run on Debian(that's where Ubuntu comes from) and it's derivatives flawlessly. Get Skype for Ubuntu from here.

Download the .deb file and open it. The package manager for your Ubuntu distro should automatically open and clarify whether you want to install the software. Dependencies,if any, are found, will automatically be downloaded and installed.
BrokenCody wrote:I had to uninstall/reinstall Ubuntu to do it. And now I'm running an earlier version, 9.04.
Actually, there are some corrupt files in 9.10 that prevent the Network Manager from working properly.[link] [link]. There is a pretty simple solution to it too. In fact, I was affected by this bug.(I even remember posting about this on FB). If I could've realised this, I should have been able to keep you running on Karmic Koala. :oops:

Just remember to upgrade to 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) when it is released in April.