Virus scan/Make computer go faster

Need help troubleshooting your PC? We have a couple of geeks in the forum who can help you
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
jacob_b
Aristh
Aristh
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Virus scan/Make computer go faster

Post by jacob_b » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:03 pm

My computer has been pretty slow. I'm almost certain I have a few viruses. What are some things I can download to make my computer go faster and clean out my viruses? The computer is about 2 years old I believe. It's a Windows Vista. Thanks!

Atlas
Delta
Delta

Re: Virus scan/Make computer go faster

Post by Atlas » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:17 pm

I use Avast. Its free and easy.
THIS. IS. PANZERFREEMAN! *kicks into pit*

jacob_b
Aristh
Aristh

Post by jacob_b » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:59 pm

panzerfreeman wrote:I use Avast. Its free and easy.
think you can link me to that?

Atlas
Delta
Delta

Post by Atlas » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:00 pm

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
THIS. IS. PANZERFREEMAN! *kicks into pit*

jacob_b
Aristh
Aristh

Post by jacob_b » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:05 am

Thanks. I'll give it a try. I'm also open to other ideas from other members....

AneeshTheGreat
Donator
Donator
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by AneeshTheGreat » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:03 am

Well, it might just happen that you have no viruses, and yet your comp is very slow (like it was for me). My problem was that there were many useless programs, and they were too numerous to delete manually. My solution: Back up your important data, and do a full computer format. Of course, you must first ascertain that you have all the prerequisites, such as your windows installation cd (and you should know how to use it), your MS office cd, and other tings. Best NOT handled alone, unless you're a computer whiz like Ellimist. I got my mom's office's computer engineer to do it for me.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand Binary, and those who don't. Now 1/4th a Computer Scientist (or Computer Science Engineer, depending on my mood), i can safely say i fall into the first category.

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Elfangor » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:09 pm

Avast may be free but it is not as good. Something you could try free for a month is NOD and it can clear the viruses off you computer. If you want to try it its http://www.eset.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Elfangor on Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You all have guns
And you never put the safety on
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

jacob_b
Aristh
Aristh

Post by jacob_b » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:59 pm

Aneesh wrote:Well, it might just happen that you have no viruses, and yet your comp is very slow (like it was for me). My problem was that there were many useless programs, and they were too numerous to delete manually. My solution: Back up your important data, and do a full computer format. Of course, you must first ascertain that you have all the prerequisites, such as your windows installation cd (and you should know how to use it), your MS office cd, and other tings. Best NOT handled alone, unless you're a computer whiz like Ellimist. I got my mom's office's computer engineer to do it for me.
Sadly, I've already done that LOL. Had my whole computer restart by accident after a virus hit. I'm never doing that again...

Ellimist
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by Ellimist » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:52 pm

If you want to completely remove all malware from your computer without formatting and re-installing your OS, chances are there that your OS will become corrupt due to some missing/corrupted .DLL files, if it's a severe infection. If it's a case of not so severe infection, I'd recommend the use of the following(to be used simultaneously) :
  • Kaspersky Anti-Virus. Install KAV and activate the 30 day trial version. I've heard good things about Eset's NOD32, but I'd recommend KAV.
  • Super Anti-Spyware (Download will start automatically when you click on the link). This will weed out the traces of malware left even after KAV cleans out the malware. A weekly spyware scan with updated definitions is recommended even under normal conditions.
The combination of these is guaranteed to wipe out every trace of malware from your computer; unless, of course; we are talking about rootkits.