Intelligent alien life

Place for all other random discussions
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Chaos7887
Gedd

Re: Intelligent alien life

Post by Chaos7887 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:49 am

If we can call life on Earth "intelligent", then I find it ridiculously unlikely that intelligent life doesn't exist elsewhere in the universe. Now, as to whether or not we can consider humans intelligent; that brings up an entirely new spread of questions and dilemmas. First, can we definitely say that humans have free will? Well, technically we can't. Since our actions our the result of chemical processes in our brain, there is no way for us to determine whether or not our "choices" are made simply as a result of a long chain of cause and effect. I personally feel in control of my choices, but as any fan of Animorphs knows: things are not always as they seem. Even if we are in control of our choices, the extent of which is certainly a worthy question worth investigating. I find it most likely that we are in control or our ultimate decisions, but depending on the chemistry that dictates each of our personalities we may find the level at which our decisions are influenced varies. It likely even varies by person depending on the nature of the decision.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Surely nothing definitive.

darkwriter00
Warrior
Warrior

Post by darkwriter00 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:59 pm

Chaos7887 wrote:If we can call life on Earth "intelligent", then I find it ridiculously unlikely that intelligent life doesn't exist elsewhere in the universe. Now, as to whether or not we can consider humans intelligent; that brings up an entirely new spread of questions and dilemmas. First, can we definitely say that humans have free will? Well, technically we can't. Since our actions our the result of chemical processes in our brain, there is no way for us to determine whether or not our "choices" are made simply as a result of a long chain of cause and effect. I personally feel in control of my choices, but as any fan of Animorphs knows: things are not always as they seem. Even if we are in control of our choices, the extent of which is certainly a worthy question worth investigating. I find it most likely that we are in control or our ultimate decisions, but depending on the chemistry that dictates each of our personalities we may find the level at which our decisions are influenced varies. It likely even varies by person depending on the nature of the decision.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Surely nothing definitive.
You make a valid point there. Though, it depends on how you look at it when it comes to recognizing us as an intelligent species on Earth.

Those with an exceptionally high I.Q. could possibly be more intelligent than most. He or she could come up with easier methods to solve problems most people wouldn't consider to think about.

Another way of looking at this is how incredibly creative people in the media can be, to subliminally manipulate us and influence our decision making while we TV. Advertising, for example. What the slickest of people in the movie business do to get people to go out and buy popcorn or soda at the movie theaters is to put the food product in one single frame of the film. Most people don't even notice the food product that's there, because our brains can only keep up with about 80% on what happens on the big screen.

We human beings as a species are both simple and complicated at once! On most cases, no two people are exactly the same. Twin siblings may look a lot alike, but do they think and feel the same way? Not necessarily.
|) /-\ R |< \/\/ R ][ T 3 R

Rock on, AniFans!

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:24 am

<Then if everything is nothing more then the end result of a series of physical and chemical reactions triggered by the Big Bang, then nothing is ever really your fault. In the end the sun will consume the Earth and all of the stars will burn out, eventually the universe will be nothing but darkness...so my question is this; what is the point of anything any of us ever does? Is there even a point to any of it?>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

crosenbauer2112
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by crosenbauer2112 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:42 am

It's quite simple to me. With the size of the universe, how could there NOT be life somewhere else. Intelligent or otherwise.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:58 pm

<Good news! After over a hundred years of searching, scientists have found signs of intelligent life on Earth.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20