Intelligent alien life

Place for all other random discussions
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Re: Intelligent alien life

Post by BabelFish42 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:36 pm

Salad Shooter wrote:I do not think we will be the only intelligent life ever to exist. But considering the nature of the universe, other intelligent life-forms may be far removed from us in time as well as space.
Yeah, I agree. Seems unlikely that, as vast as the universe is, we're the only sentient creatures out there. But it also seems pretty unlikely that, again, considering how vast the universe is, we'd ever bump into other thinking creatures like ourselves.
Salad Shooter wrote:The question is, is intelligent life common enough for us to be able to find it while we exist as a species? I hope so.
Really? Part of me agrees with you. It would be so freaking cool/interesting to discover sentient aliens. But then the more practical part of me replies, are you crazy? Chances are very good that the encounter would not end well for one or both sides. What if the aliens were aggressive? Or carrying some kind of deadly illness? Or even if that wasn't the case, I'm not sure humanity would handle it very well. I mean, I kinda agree with what Tobias (I think) said in one of the books - if humans can't even accept homosexuals, how are they going to react to a race of aliens? We can't even manage to live peacefully with each other, so how could we expect to coexist peacefully with aliens? Unless, I guess, we only ever interacted through long-distance communication and never met up in person. That might work out okay.
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

Salad Shooter
Aristh
Aristh
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Salad Shooter » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:13 pm

Chances are very good that the encounter would not end well for one or both sides. What if the aliens were aggressive? Or carrying some kind of deadly illness? Or even if that wasn't the case, I'm not sure humanity would handle it very well.
Well, I'm thinking that it would be scientists and academics who would make the first contact, and they're generally more slow-paced and patient and inclined to take precautions than the general populace.

Plus, with all the science fiction that's been written about all the ways something like this COULD go wrong ... I'd hope we'd have learned to go into something like this with our eyes wide open.

BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by BabelFish42 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:41 am

Hopefully we would go into it with our eyes wide open. But if the aliens were aggressive and had much better technology, I don't know if being cautious would do us much good.

Hmm... yeah, I think you're right about scientists and academics being more level-headed. But don't you think a discovery that big would also make international headlines immediately? Unless there was some kind of cover-up.
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

troll
Gedd

Post by troll » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:09 am

Is there even intelligent life on Earth?
But I think that aliens are real. Maybe they have received our radio thingamajigs and decide not to contact us? Why?
Because, if, for example, I was an alien receiving Earth's radio things, and send us pictures of guns, rockets, missiles and some Star Trek videoclips? That would really freak me out.
"Oh God! They have faster than light travel! Missiles that explode when you see it! Better not communicate with them!"

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:43 pm

troll wrote:Is there even intelligent life on Earth?
But I think that aliens are real. Maybe they have received our radio thingamajigs and decide not to contact us? Why?
Because, if, for example, I was an alien receiving Earth's radio things, and send us pictures of guns, rockets, missiles and some Star Trek videoclips? That would really freak me out.
"Oh God! They have faster than light travel! Missiles that explode when you see it! Better not communicate with them!"
<Kind of like what happened in the first few chapters of Visser Chronicals when she-who-would-become-Visser-One first came to Earth.>
<Yes, that is the first time I've ever seen her refered to like that, however I should also point out that the term "she" may not be correct, becaouse I think that the Yeerk in question had a male host at the time.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

Blu
Rampant Drunk
Rampant Drunk

Post by Blu » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:16 pm

There is no doubt that alien life exists somewhere. However, whether it is intelligent or not depends on how it evolved and on how we define intelligence. Intelligence here might be completely different elsewhere!

darkmew
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by darkmew » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:30 pm

I believe there is life out there

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:59 pm

<I think that we can easly come up with tests for intelegence that can be solved by anyone no matter what their background, or what planet they are from.>
<Many times very smart people will fail an IQ test because the test is aimed at a given culture.>
<For exsample we have an Animorphs quiz here, however if I found the world's greaters Harry Potter fan, someone who knew everything about those books, then chances are that even though they can resite every Harry Potter book word for word, they would still fail the Animorphs quiz, not because they are stupid. THey aren't, they just don't have as much understanding of the Animorphs culture.>
<The trick would be to make a test that a Superman fan, a Spider-Man fan, an Animorphs fan, a Harry Potter fan, a Twilight fan, and a Hunger Games fan all have the same chance of getting a high score on. A test for intenegence that does not ask any questions about any of those books/movies.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

sdsnl
Gedd

Post by sdsnl » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:03 am

The probability of there being alien life is much greater than not.

ClockWork96
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by ClockWork96 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:30 pm

Well, some astrophysicists estimated the probability of the human race being the only intelligent life in the universe... the number was VEEEEEEEERY near to zero, basically impossible. The problem is that they could be too far away from us, or could communicate in different ways from ours, so maybe we've already recived they're messages, but we can't recognise them...