Intelligent alien life

Place for all other random discussions
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Sorunome
Warrior
Warrior
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: Intelligent alien life

Post by Sorunome » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:15 pm

I just felt like that quote fit there well, and I don't think that any scientist could ever get the physics correctly. They may just seem to fit but then suddenly there is a new discoverment of something new and in that way they don't fit then any-more. Hope you get what I mean.
Wait, what happened? Oh, you just lost THE GAME

guiltnazan
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by guiltnazan » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:58 pm

I honestly believe that there is intelligent life in the universe. To believe that we are the only forms of life in the billions of trillions of stars and therefore planets in the universe is pretty arrogant, if you ask me.

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Current » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:46 am

Sorunome wrote:I just felt like that quote fit there well, and I don't think that any scientist could ever get the physics correctly. They may just seem to fit but then suddenly there is a new discoverment of something new and in that way they don't fit then any-more. Hope you get what I mean.
I know what you mean, but I don't necessarily agree. A true Unified Theory might be far away (or not, who knows), but it doesn't seem impossible. The universe really seems to have some stable fundamental rules, whatever they are, and I don't see why they wouldn't be human-understandable.

The other thing to keep in mind is that not knowing everything is not the same as knowing nothing.
What is not the answer to this question?

Sorunome
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Sorunome » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:20 pm

Well, I think there are to many "variables" that humans would ever be able to understand everything.
Wait, what happened? Oh, you just lost THE GAME

shaggyc
Gedd

Post by shaggyc » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:25 pm

With how expansive and unknown the universe is it seems fairly likely there's something else out there.

Jinto
Civilian

Post by Jinto » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:43 am

There has got to be alien life out there, hopefully intelligent. I can't imagine we're the only ones.

Lachimax
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by Lachimax » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:05 am

Got to agree, statistically, there has to be more life out there somewhere. Whether we'll ever find it is a different matter. I sincerely hope we do, I would die a happy man.

The Dreamer
Gedd

Post by The Dreamer » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:29 am

There are a lot of ways to put this, but I believe Dr. Chase from House put it best: "I'm just not arrogant enough to think that of the 50 billion galaxies, hundred billion stars per galaxy and ten million, billion planets in the universe, that we're the only ones with life."

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:20 pm

<We are alone in this universe, or we are not. Both ideas are overwelming.>
<Actually I'm not even sure there is intelligent life on Earth!>

<It is my understanding, and I could be wrong on this, is that the first test of the speed of light went something like this:
Two guys each had a lantern, one had a stop watch. The guy with the stopwatch said "I'll go to the top of this hill, you go to the top of that hill. When you see the light from my lantern come on, you turn your lantern on. Then I'll time how long it takes from when I turn on my lantern to when I see the light from your lantern."
Then the second guy says "Good, then we will know how much time it takes light to go from this hill to that hill and back again.">
<Lets say that the two hills are 5 km apart, that means that from when the 1st guy turns on his lantern and when he sees the light from the second lantern is the amount of time it takes light to travel 10 km, plus the time it takes for the 2ed guy to turn on his lantern.>
<This was repeated sometime later with mirrors.>
<I believe that we have placed a mirror on one of Jupitur's moons (I'm doing all this from memory), we can fire a beam of light at that mirror and time how long it takes to come back to us, because we know how fast the light was going we can take that time, cut it in half and say "If light took this long to get there, going at this speed, then that mirror must be this far away.">
<If you know how far away your mirror is then you can find the speed of light. Now days we would have a computer time it. The computer would turn on the light, then time how long from when it turned on the light to when it came back from the mirror it bounced off of.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

Salad Shooter
Aristh
Aristh

Post by Salad Shooter » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:24 am

I do not think we will be the only intelligent life ever to exist. But considering the nature of the universe, other intelligent life-forms may be far removed from us in time as well as space.

The question is, is intelligent life common enough for us to be able to find it while we exist as a species? I hope so.