What do you look for in a boyfriend/girlfriend?

Place for all other random discussions
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: What do you look for in a boyfriend/girlfriend?

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:12 pm

<I read somewhere that people who make a list of at least 15 things they want in a mate before they start dating tend to end up happier, even if the person they end up married to only matches about 1/3 of their list.>
<This same artical also said that the more things on your list, the happier you were likely to end up, but I think they said that it peeked at about 35.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

CrimsonSage
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by CrimsonSage » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:28 am

For me I like to be thinking real world. What I really need. I need a woman that will not want to worship her from her boyfriend like a goddess. Who know that being in relationship is about help one a other and not thinking about oneself instead. Know about that no relationship is easy and you will face hardship but to pull through with it. When one is down help them up. I need one to know me and her will make mistake like be later on date or forgetting a special for a important reason and not hold it against me later. So someone who when little things happen can stand back if push down *Burning passion in my eyes*. Also know sometimes it is not good to be pig head and accept help when needed. Also to reason and not fight.

souloflijia15
Gedd

Post by souloflijia15 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:11 pm

More than anything, he has to be someone who can be himself around me and who I can be myself around with because if you live together and do all that gory stuff together, you're going to find out everything, so might as well be best friends and UBER comfortable together. I have to be able to trust him to stay with me through thick and thin, and to see me in a potato sack and still say he loves me while I love him.
While looks are a plus, if it's someone to stay the rest of your life with, you hafta realize that when you grow old and wrinkly, nobody's gonna be all that hot anyway. :P Being a decent person is one of the best things to find in your significant other. Similar humor is awesome too, and similar values are BIG PLUSES because though it may seem like your different political view and religious views are not all that important at first, when you've been with someone for a long time, everything matters.
But what matters most is that you guys are willing to stick things through and work out problems together and stay committed and patient to each other and sometimes shut yourself up even if you're right. :P

BTW I'm not an expert, but considering I'm about to go to college and have been with my boyfriend [second relationship I've ever been in] for almost 2 years, it's better than the average 2-month-relationship holding teens in high school. So that's my advice about who to look for/stay with.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:25 am

souloflijia15 wrote:Similar humor is awesome too, and similar values are BIG PLUSES because though it may seem like your different political view and religious views are not all that important at first, when you've been with someone for a long time, everything matters.
But what matters most is that you guys are willing to stick things through and work out problems together and stay committed and patient to each other and sometimes shut yourself up even if you're right. :P
<I can tell you right now that similar values are far more then just BIG PLUSES, if you don't have similar values, then your relationship is 98% doomed to failure, my wife and I come from VERY DIFFRENT backgrounds, and the diffrentses between us are so great sometimes that I just want to scream!>
<To give you an example of this, I was raised in a Christian home, one of our beliefs is that you should not be having sex until you are married, and then only with your husband or wife.>
<This is my first marrage, it is my wife's first marrage.>
<This should tell you that when we had sex for the first time it was the first time for both of us, and we both worked through things and figured out things together.>
<Not quite, I am not the first guy my wife has been with. In fact I'm not even in the first 5.>

<I'm not even in the first 10...>

<This has caused me MANY PROBLEMS!!!>

<Not just that one thing, but about a thousand diffrences in belief have all caused problems.>
<When you are with someone, and when you get married, you need to have simaler understandings on many things: the number of children you are going to have, how long you are going to wait to have children, how you will deal with money, both before and after you have children.>

<My wife is going back to school. She wanted to take out a student lone. I was raised to avoid taking out lones of any kind, because you can't be sure that you will be able to pay them back.>
<My wife took out the lone, and now she is talking about how hard school is and how she wants to drop out.>
<If she drops out now then we will have to start paying on the lone right away, if she stays in school then she can get a degree, and that will help her to get a job that will help her pay off the lone.>
<In short, if she drops out of school then we will have to get rid of all of our pets and sell most of our things to pay back a lone that I was never comfortable taking out in the first place.>
Last edited by Tobias_Marco on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

Dest
Prince
Prince
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by Dest » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:17 am

The_Brigadier wrote:An artist. :) Artists are attracted to artists. It's like we're a guild or something.
Ohhhh? :give_rose:

In all seriousness, bear with me. I'm typing in the dark.

Girlfriend qualities
-Smart. I hate dumbasses.
-Pretty face. This is a given. But I don't like sexy, I like pretty. It makes me feel more able to trust a person than when they're not just sexy.
-I can't stand huge boobs. They're nasty.
-Straying away from looks, they have to have something to say about my creative works other than "Cool"
-It would help if they did creative things, too. Prefereably music. Or drawing. Or writing. Or all of the above.
-They have to like science fiction.
-The can't be an overly religious person. I will be all "Ohhh god, I hate you so much :|"
-Preferably, they should share similar views with me on some (as in the most important) controversial subjects.

Boyfriend Qualities
-David Tennant.
Last edited by Dest on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time is not wasted if you enjoyed what you were doing.

JMRCTA
Admiral
Admiral

Post by JMRCTA » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:27 am

I think wut people should be looking for a boyfriend/girlfriend should be replaced by husband/wife. Except 4 those who wanna mess up with a relationship.
If u see my point, it meant that what comes after bf/gf? A BABY?! Fuq those PEOPLE .

(Have no time for a longer post...)
Unique individualities. Are forgotten.

Visser 5
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Visser 5 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:48 pm

I just read a web comic that had a father who told his son to find a girl who was "A good friend, a good lover, or a good mother. Pick 2."
He had grown up and picked numbers 1, and 3.
Turns out the father ment to focus on "Pick number 2."
Vote for me! I will fix everything, giving everyone health care, food, a home with high speed internet and a good paying job, & kill everyone who makes more then $1 million per year &give their money to the poorest 10%.

Visser 5
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Visser 5 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:52 pm

Mr.Destiny wrote:
The_Brigadier wrote:An artist. :) Artists are attracted to artists. It's like we're a guild or something.
Ohhhh? :give_rose:

In all seriousness, bear with me. I'm typing in the dark.

Girlfriend qualities
-Smart. I hate dumbasses.
-Pretty face. This is a given. But I don't like sexy, I like pretty. It makes me feel more able to trust a person than when they're just sexy.
-I can't stand huge boobs. They're nasty.
-Straying away from looks, they have to have something to say about my creative works other than "Cool"
-It would help if they did creative things, too. Prefereably music. Or drawing. Or writing. Or all of the above.
-They have to like science fiction.
-The can't be an overly religious person. I will be all "Ohhh god, I hate you so much :|"
-Preferably, they should share similar views with me on some (as in the most important) controversial subjects.

Boyfriend Qualities
-David Tennant.
Sorry, I know that I am double posting, but I just read this and I had to replie.
#4 on your list is to stray away from looks.
By this I think that you mean that looks aren't importend to you, yet #2 & 3 both have to do with what she looks like.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong?
Vote for me! I will fix everything, giving everyone health care, food, a home with high speed internet and a good paying job, & kill everyone who makes more then $1 million per year &give their money to the poorest 10%.

Menno
Prince
Prince
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Menno » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:50 am

I tend to go for women who have a lot of the same personality traits as I. Does that make me a narcissist?

BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by BabelFish42 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:27 pm

I've narrowed it down to three main Must-Have traits:

1. Kind/ethical. The sort of person who not only treats me well, but treats everyone well.

2. Intelligent. Not necessarily super-educated, but someone I can have deep, abstract conversations with.

3. Passionate. Someone who cares enough about something to actually take action. He doesn't necessarily need to be passionate about the same things I'm passionate about. But he needs to care about SOMETHING. Other than just me, that is; I do not want to be the center of anyone's world. Passion is something I find very attractive... I'm looking for someone who has a fire inside him, not someone who's just going through the motions of life.

4. And most importantly, he has to love Animorphs. Otherwise we just can't be together. (Kidding, kidding.)

Then there are a lot of other things that would be nice, but aren't deal breakers: funny, likes outdoorsy stuff, likes to travel, likes books and movies (including a lot of the ones that are my favorites, but also some I've never heard of), good with kids, adventurous, not very materialistic, not a total slob but not a neat freak either, not the possessive/jealous type, dog lover, likes playing sports, humble, runner, hiker, good conversationalist, stargazer, likes different kinds of music, science/literature nerd, etc.

And if he did love Animorphs, that would definitely be a plus. :D
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."