most exciting/famous news story of the 21st centuary

Place for all other random discussions
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.

a look back at the years

Poll ended at Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:33 pm

1. Terriosts attack the twin towers in nw york and the pentagon in DC
33%
2. Britney spears shaves her head
No votes
3. Chris Brown attacks Rhainna
No votes
4. Lindsy lohan on trial for stealing a necklce
No votes
5. first "black" man elected as president
27%
6. hurricane katrina wreks newn orleans
No votes
7. deathly hallows book makes pubic debut
7%
8. chimp attacks his owner's firend
No votes
9.michal jackson dies
13%
10. orca at sea world drowns trainer
No votes
11 crocodile hunter dies
7%
12 simon leaves american idol
No votes
13. major shooting occurs in tuson
No votes
14. polar bears added to endangered species list
No votes
15. ecoomony falls
7%
16. oil spill in the gulf coast
7%

Total votes: 15

BSerAkafanofblake
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

most exciting/famous news story of the 21st centuary

Post by BSerAkafanofblake » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:33 pm

I wasn't going to include hp except I wanted to put in some good news.

Visser 5
Admiral
Admiral

Re: most exciting/famous news story of the 21st centuary

Post by Visser 5 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:21 pm

For me it was the economy, the dark skinned president and the day those towers fell.
I'm just glad I wasn't in NY that day...
Vote for me! I will fix everything, giving everyone health care, food, a home with high speed internet and a good paying job, & kill everyone who makes more then $1 million per year &give their money to the poorest 10%.

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee

Post by Elfangor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:27 pm

HP is hardly world news...
You all have guns
And you never put the safety on
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:13 pm

Neither is Lindsay Lohan, or a single naughty killer whale, or even a temporary drop in global stock markets. And I notice that all of hptwiani's major news stories concern the United States and/or trashy popular culture.

I'd like to nominate the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami in the Indian Ocean. I realise it didn't get as much attention in the US as Britney Spears shaving her head or Katrina, but 300000 people died.

Sticking to what is on the list, I can easily say that the only items on there which are even slightly significant are the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill and 9/11 (only because of political reasons, and the resultant s*** storm).
Image Image Image Image

BSerAkafanofblake
Admiral
Admiral

Post by BSerAkafanofblake » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:28 pm

maybey I should have put in the who Christian the lion youtube video thing.

Blueberry Chicken
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by Blueberry Chicken » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:22 pm

Hmm. Let's see...

The moon having water. (even if it's frozen)
I believe there had been a news article on an exoplanet showing storm activity, so that, too.
Pictures of the other side of the sun.
As TF said, the tsunami. Actually, make that any tsunami, earthquake, or other natural disaster.

I have to say, I haven't heard of Harry Potter's pubic debut.

Out of the on the list news:

9/11
The Tuscon shooting
Katrina
"Sass, back before you, me, Blu, Vulf and BB used to roll together.We were tighter than emo jeans."
-Dest

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:38 pm

Had to go with 9/11. Most of the stuff here doesn't even qualify as news.

No one gives a damn that Britney shaved her head, and i don't even know who the hell Rhainna is, but one more case of domestic abuse doesn't make it news. No one cares about Lindsy Lohan; unless she gets the death penalty, then I'd be interested. Harry Potter stopped even remotely counting as news years ago; did anyone even read Deathly Hallows?

A monkey attacking someone isn't even remotely world-changing. Nor is an orca killing a dude. The role-reversal is nice for a change, but...yeah...it's not quite as important as, say, the various armed conflicts that sprung up as a result of 9/11.

American Idol isn't even remotely news-worthy. Hell, even the people involved don't care about that anymore.

Tuscon shooting means nothing outside of America; and, in fact, very little inside of it.

Polar bear thing is sad, but it's not like they're a staple foodsource or something. A shortage of them is depressing, but it's not going to, say, depopulate Greenland or something. It's something to take note of, but it wasn't world changing.

A failing economy is a temporary thing, at least in a Capitalist society; it'll come around eventually. And there are a whole lot of places that remain totally unaffected by it.

The oil spill, like the polar bear thing, is very sad, but it's already been swept under the rug. Nothing has changed from it; the government is still going to let companies buy their way through important safeguards and do whatever the hell they want. After all, it isn't like the billions of animals displaced and killed by BP and the US Government ignoring safety precautions matters.

Katrina was big at the time, but it pales in comparison to many of the other natural disasters that other parts of the world have experienced over the last decade.

A black dude elected as the President of the United States means virtually nothing in most of the other parts of the world. After all, black guy guys have been in charge in Africa for how long now?

Michael Jackson and Steve Erwin dying are a little notable. They were loved by the civilized world, and Steve actually managed to contribute positively to it by educating people about animals and saving hundreds of critters. But their deaths also were not world changing.

9/11 is the only thing on this list that actually effected large portions of the world in permanent ways. There are lots of dead now, and the feelings of a lot of countries are hurt and angry. At the same time, Iraq is a much safer place, as is Afghanistan. Tyrants have been removed from power and put on trial for their crimes. Democracy has been spread to places that have never known it.

So yeah...nothing here even comes close to that.

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee

Post by Elfangor » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:12 pm

For the shorter version of what capnnerefir wrote: Option 1 wins with 100% as all other options are invalid.

As capnnerefir said 9/11 is the only news that 99% of the world know about, all the others are just big-ish news in their respective categories. I highly doubt anyone in Afghanistan cares that Britney shaves...
You all have guns
And you never put the safety on
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:20 pm

capn, I salute you. Well said.

And I agree about 9/11. It's easily the most significant story however that significance is due to the thousands of subsequent war casualties rather than the original fuss that was made.
Image Image Image Image

SamilinCorrathGahar
Ruler of Everything
Ruler of Everything
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by SamilinCorrathGahar » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:17 pm

<I still voted for the biggest news story being the tall dark stranger who ended up as a world leader.>
<Yes, it is I, Captain Samilin-Corrath-Gahar of the Andalite ship Ascalin, and ruler of everything .>